Big boys or the little guy

Big or small  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Big brands or lesser known

• Big boys
    • Little guys

Our Sponsors

Pretty solidly in the camp of the little guys in the irons, going from Mizuno to Cobra.  I'm excited to see if that new TEE driver I won can knock the R11 out of the bag where the F8 could not.  I'd love to have all little guys in the bag except for the Ping putter.

Question... was Hogan a little guy in the 80s/early 90s when I played them?  

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I ventured off the Major OEM plantation a few years ago when I decided to go with Wishon irons. Prior to that I'd always played what the Big Boys made. And the BB's make good stuff. But they're not th

Being a lefty, there's slim hope of finding stuff from the little guys. 

I’m a MGS most wanted guy. So that leads to an eclectic bag. Ping Driver and Irons, Tour Edge Fairway, TMag hybrids, SCOR wedges and EVNRoll putter. Balls are big boys. I’ve used Snells, liked th

I proudly and happily play Titleist irons. However, I would give a nut for a set of baby blades or National Custom Works to fall in my lap. The Moira’s are too expensive and the NCW’s fall into the category of, “if you have to ask, then you probably can’t afford them.” I did love and desire a set of Scratch back when they were around and have been revived in the name of NCW, but I just feel they are damned expensive. At least expensive for me.

I don’t really have any brand loyalty as I have 5 brands in my bag. I want what I like and plays well with/for me.

I look for stuff from the little guy, but every time I find something I like, they don’t make it in Lefty. So I am sometimes forced to go with the Big boy. Mizuno, cobra, and Cally are my main sources. I have used TM in the past, but haven’t found anything from them I like lately. I am hoping the Snell makes the MTB Black golf ball in the optic yellow this season so I can switch over, the MTB Red just doesn’t suit my game, so I need the black, but have trouble playing the white golf ball. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

On 12/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, PMookie said:

I splurged once on Edel irons. I had a good season and a half with them, but I’ve already improved my accuracy by going to Pings again. The problem I have with the smaller brands is price, and resale value. I sell everything I have in a category when buying new, so I’ve been burnt before having “off brands”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And in some cases, you can’t even trade in the little guy brands. So you have to sell them, and for me being a Lefty, it’s almost impossible to find another Lefty to sell a club to someone from a company that they have never heard of.  They want the name brand stuff

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The little guys. I have played Hogan and even built my own Maltby clubs. Right now I have my eye on Sub 70. They just launched and are not far from Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Irons:  Sub 70 

699 Pro - 3 Iron (4 iron bent to 20*)

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges:

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Bag: Sub 70 Cart Bag
Handicap index:  +2.6

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

being a lefty not much of a chance to get gear from the small guys,  but when I was looking last spring I tried everything , ping, callaway, titelist, tailormade, cobra,  Srixon..  did not matter the brand I picked what worked best. 

I think players with no club deals are on to something, play what works for you. 

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Little guys all day.  I find that you can often get clubs that are just as good, if not better, for less money.  Right now, Im gaming a bag of pretty much all the little guys: Tour Edge, Bombtech, Nicklaus, Pinemadow, Top Flite and Nitro.  I dont notice any difference in my game from when my bag wall all Mizuno or Titleist.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Cobra Speedzone 3H

Irons: Cobra Pro CB 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Cobra King 54*

Putter: Titleist Bullseye

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

14 hours ago, jacustomgolf said:

The little guys. I have played Hogan and even built my own Maltby clubs. Right now I have my eye on Sub 70. They just launched and are not far from Chicago.

The Sub 70's look sweet.  Let us know how they work out.  Interesting to see the Diamond Tour guys starting an up-market brand.  I've been obsessed with the little guys ever since my grandfather used to get the old Austad's catalog in the 80s.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Another lefty here and understand the companies limited budget for making product for us.

I just wish that companies would produce their middle tier models instead of the beginning or expert models. IMO its would hit more golfers.

In that vein, Wilson offers a great selection, of course the big boys do too. I am told Eric at NL will be making a lefty irons which sound intriguing.

• Like 1

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg ACCRA tour Z GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - 33" 3 deg loft 70 lie, lrg slight line slightly toe hang

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I think it fair to say that Mizuno is considered a small guy as they have very little tour presence and don't pay for use of their equipment. Am I correct in this thinking? And I use them. 

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

9 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

I think it fair to say that Mizuno is considered a small guy as they have very little tour presence and don't pay for use of their equipment. Am I correct in this thinking? And I use them. 

...  Mizuno has a pretty strong worldwide presence and of course sell more sporting equipment than golf clubs. Most in Europe probably consider Mizuno one of the big boys as there is a decent tour presence there. Personally I think there is a category below the Big Boys and above the Little Guys and Mizuno fits right in the middle of that category along with Wilson, Tour Edge/Exotics and Bridgestone.  

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

9 hours ago, Har in the Hat said:

Mizuno is an interesting brand in golf. Some consider them a JDM brand and others consider them American.  Me I put them and Srixon in similar categories of a mix between jdm and American. Honma kind of gttting into that mix too.

as for big vs small that’s kind of the same as above. Mizuno is a big company but a brand that could be considered small as you mentioned limited tour use but I think they are more of a big brand because they are a global presence.

they do pay for tour usage but not to the extent as some of the other big boys

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 12/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, jacustomgolf said:

Wonder if the heads will ever be available separately as components?

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (10.5°, Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver Hybrid Stiff
5-7:  
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
7-GW:  maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Wonder if the heads will ever be available separately as components?

I going up there in February. I’ll ask when I’m there.

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Irons:  Sub 70 

699 Pro - 3 Iron (4 iron bent to 20*)

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges:

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Bag: Sub 70 Cart Bag
Handicap index:  +2.6

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I'm a Bridgestone/Titleist guy ......

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

On 1/6/2019 at 7:48 AM, chisag said:

...  Mizuno has a pretty strong worldwide presence and of course sell more sporting equipment than golf clubs. Most in Europe probably consider Mizuno one of the big boys as there is a decent tour presence there. Personally I think there is a category below the Big Boys and above the Little Guys and Mizuno fits right in the middle of that category along with Wilson, Tour Edge/Exotics and Bridgestone.  

Correct. They are big overseas and that is evident by their European and Japanese websites compared to the American website.

Your explanation makes sense about their position. Thank you

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

On 1/6/2019 at 7:51 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Mizuno is an interesting brand in golf. Some consider them a JDM brand and others consider them American.  Me I put them and Srixon in similar categories of a mix between jdm and American. Honma kind of gttting into that mix too.

as for big vs small that’s kind of the same as above. Mizuno is a big company but a brand that could be considered small as you mentioned limited tour use but I think they are more of a big brand because they are a global presence.

they do pay for tour usage but not to the extent as some of the other big boys

I know that Luke Donald was (is) their main professional rep.  Was there anyone else? I'm drawing a blank on who else sports their irons on your.

Dexterity:

22 minutes ago, Har in the Hat said:

I know that Luke Donald was (is) their main professional rep.  Was there anyone else? I'm drawing a blank on who else sports their irons on your.

Outside of Faldo he is the one that most associate with the brand. They’ve had several in the past but other than Charles Howell III past players don’t standout to me.  I haven’t looked at their site in awhile but Jhonny Vegas, Eddie Pepperel and Nick Watney are on contract. I’ve seen staff bags on by for PGA and Euro Tour but no names I can remember. There might be 1-2 on lpga, Stacy Lewis was sponsored by them but with her having time off to start a family not sure of her status 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Outside of Faldo he is the one that most associate with the brand. They’ve had several in the past but other than Charles Howell III past players don’t standout to me.  I haven’t looked at their site in awhile but Jhonny Vegas, Eddie Pepperel and Nick Watney are on contract. I’ve seen staff bags on by for PGA and Euro Tour but no names I can remember. There might be 1-2 on lpga, Stacy Lewis was sponsored by them but with her having time off to start a family not sure of her status 

Thanks for the info 

• Like 1

Dexterity: