RickyBobby_PR

Big boys or the little guy

Big or small  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Big brands or lesser known

• Big boys
    • Little guys

When shopping for new equipment do you gravitate towards the big boys like TaylorMade, Titleist, Ping, Callaway, etc? Maybe a mid tier brand like Wilson, Cobra, Tour Edge? Or the little guys like newcomer New Level?

• Like 1

Being a lefty, there's slim hope of finding stuff from the little guys. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Being a lefty, there's slim hope of finding stuff from the little guys. 

And even then sometimes demo options are limited. I know a few lefties and they complain somewhat frequently 

• Like 1

My bag is almost all Cobra, except for a couple of older Titleist wedges and a Tommy armour putter, Cobra make some good equipment at a little bit lower price than the Big guys, and the prices usually drop quite a bit more on their slightly used or year old models compared to similar clubs from TaylorMade or Callaway.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve gravitated to Callaway gear mostly BUT for good reasons.
My gear upgrade when I started getting serious began with new irons. I tested quite a few out and based on budget and what I hit best, I ended up with Steelheads (anniversary gift from my wife).
From there was a new bag which I also got from my wife. She had an idea of what I was looking for and felt that it was only appropriate that I’d have a Callaway bag since my newest clubs were the same brand.
Next addition was my new driver which ended up being a TM M2. Kept my Cobra 3/4 w and upgraded the shaft and grip.
I splurged/got a sweet deal on a Rogue hybrid which was my latest addition.
I’m not against trying anything and not solely committed to Callaway. I just have always ended up going that way in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I suppose that depends on who is a little guy? I'm partial to mizuno for irons.... not sure where they would sit, but I would think more the the little guy side. Drivers and woods I gravitate to the big boys.

• Like 2

I go for Taylormade, have had nothing but good experiences with the brand. I’ve tried different brands, but I always end up putting my Taylormade stuff back in the bag.

I am willing to try the Wilson blades out, only because of my short time hitting them last year around this time. They are pretty damn buttery, so hopefully the new ones are as good as the FG 100’s. If by chance Taylormade makes the “VR Pro (Tiger irons)” available for general purchase I will own them.... might be wall hangers but I will own them.

Drivers are my nemesis so I’ll try anything that can get me from point A to point B without hitting a low slice from the right trees.

I don’t think my Taylormade SLDR Tour Spoon Wood is going anywhere ever. It’s my Henrik club.

• Like 2

I guess big buys mainly because that’s all I can easily find in stores. It does kinda suck not having a great good store in town with lots of variety. There are lots of things I’d like to try and even own but Iran hard for me to spend money on a maybe club. 

• Like 1

Whatever clubs I use have to first work and second fit my eye.  I have to like what I am looking down at and I have been known to take slightly less performance for something visually appealing.  I voted for the little guys as the only thing currently in my bag for sure next year is a no longer in production Nike Method Mod 60 putter and some Adams XTD A Tour Irons.

I really like the smaller brand golf balls like Cut, Pearl, Snell and Vice.

Apparel brands also! Love the look of Matte Grey and Travis Mathew.

Edited by Abelvis

I ventured off the Major OEM plantation a few years ago when I decided to go with Wishon irons. Prior to that I'd always played what the Big Boys made. And the BB's make good stuff. But they're not the only ones by a long shot. Wishon designs are right up there with the best on the market. The deal with Wishons is that you have to seek them out. They are not in magazines, TV, or on the rack. Only professional club fitters sell and fit them**. I also carry a Wishon 4-wood and a TM SLDR and Edel putter. However, just because Wishon's aren't a BIG brand doesn't mean they are necessarily low cost. My irons were actually more expensive than a major OTR brand but that's due to professional fitting-build and going with SF shafts. The results were well worth it IMO. As for balls and such I play a wide variety of balls such as Titleist, TM, and Callaway for example. I also play Snell, Kirkland, and MG. All all these are top notch tour balls in my book. I use MG gloves too.

** - There are some guys tinkering with home-made clubs that can order and make you a set of Wishons. This isn't what you're after. Vastly different from a professional club fitter. We also have a forum member - professional club fitter-builder. McGolf. You'll see him around from time to time.

• Like 6

I splurged once on Edel irons. I had a good season and a half with them, but I’ve already improved my accuracy by going to Pings again. The problem I have with the smaller brands is price, and resale value. I sell everything I have in a category when buying new, so I’ve been burnt before having “off brands”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've done both.  

Currently, my bag consists of Wilson Staff at the top end of the bag; Bridgestone irons; and SCOR wedges.  I do have a Callaway sand wedge and Ping putter.

I’ll try everything except Callaway and Taylor Made. It’s nothing more than their clubs just do not suit my eye.

Besides that, put it in my hands and I’ll give it an honest shake. It’s about performance.

Mostly play a Callaway bag and have for the last several years.  Although my putter is from one of the smaller companies.  Not against the smaller guys but sometimes being able to find demo sets at a shop limits my interest in the brands.

I checked Big Boys but I'm using an Evnroll putter which certainly isn't a big brand company so guess it really comes down to what works best and availability for testing.  As mentioned above, small brands many times don't have decent resale value  

I really don’t know that I have a preference, that being said I will look to certain companies first for certain gear because I have better opinions like I prefer Callaway wedges over ping and I like my hogan irons. But those were also choices I made from researching and trying things out. Miura makes some nice gear and so does tour edge, I gamed a set of Wilson Staff for a very long time but won’t compete without Bridgestone balls.

So I guess it depends on what works for out of what’s available.

• Like 1

... I love to promote the little guys as well as the mid tier guys, but I will always play what is best for my game. Currently I have Cobra, Taylor Made and Titleist in my bag. I've played a Bobby Grace putter for many years but I am experimenting with a Scotty Cameron so pretty much big boys at the moment and the only changes I foresee in 2019 are Cobra S9 driver and fairway wood so things probably won't change much. I am taking 5 dozen TP5x to Phoenix with me for the winter but will also play some Snell Black and Cut Blue when the new balls arrive so at least I have some little guy street cred. 

• Like 2