Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Games/Formats with Spouse

I'm looking for ideas on golf games/formats to play with my spouse.  

My wife is a social golfer:  we play in Friday night couples two balls and in our club's, couples events on holidays.  She plays in the women's league as an alternate where they usually play a best ball format.  In Florida, we sometimes play a par three course, which we both enjoy.   

The issue is she doesn't like playing her own ball for a round.  A good drive is 140 yards and she ends up hitting too many long fairway woods for it to be enjoyable.

Lately we've been going out after dinner for nine holes.  We play a format where we both hit drives, then switch balls and play through the green.  If I miss the fairway, she gets to move my drive over to the edge of the fairway.  She has a good chance of reaching the green in two on most holes and I get to play shots that I normally don't have.  

Does anyone have suggestions for golf games/formats for us to try? 

Read up about the Longleaf Tee System. Even though your club or course probably doesn't have Longleaf in place (but it should) you can still incorporate it into your and your wife's play. It will change her game. Your's too as you'll both have more fun. Certainly the wife. Who says anyone has to tee from where the course designers placed the tees? Most of the time the womens tee is still unrealistic except for some younger more accomplished players. And, even then some of the better women players can play well from the men's middle tee. Give it a try and see if your wife enjoys her game more next time. 🏌️‍♂️

http://www.longleafteesystem.com/#our-purpose

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

4 hours ago, alfriday101 said:

Lately we've been going out after dinner for nine holes.  We play a format where we both hit drives, then switch balls and play through the green.  If I miss the fairway, she gets to move my drive over to the edge of the fairway.  She has a good chance of reaching the green in two on most holes and I get to play shots that I normally don't have.  

That's pretty interesting game. We'll have to try it one night. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Read up about the Longleaf Tee System. Even though your club or course probably doesn't have Longleaf in place (but it should) you can still incorporate it into your and your wife's play. It will change her game. Your's too as you'll both have more fun. Certainly the wife. Who says anyone has to tee from where the course designers placed the tees? Most of the time the womens tee is still unrealistic except for some younger more accomplished players. And, even then some of the better women players can play well from the men's middle tee. Give it a try and see if your wife enjoys her game more next time. 🏌️‍♂️

Thanks for the reference.  Our course has a set of tees for the "Senior Women" that is pretty close to the distances listed in the article.  We'll try playing those next time out and see if we need to move forward from those.  

It's a mental adjustment for me to play with my wife.  I grew up playing golf with my sister, who would play the men's regular tees--the women's tees were too short for her to be challenging.  

• 2 weeks later...

One game I play with my wife is that I will tee off from the same tee as her but am only allowed to hit a 4 iron or less off the tee so leave the driver and woods in the car. A couple of benefits of this format are (1) faster pace of play (2) additional practice for your long iron game (4 iron thru 6 iron).

Ping G400 

Ping G30 4Hybrid

Taylormade P770 Irons (5-Gap)

Titleist Vokey SM7: 56 & 60

Scotty Cameron: Cameron & Crown Select

On 7/28/2019 at 8:36 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Great concept!  I wish we had that around here.  I'll pass it along to our Pro.

When we men get older, we move up a tee box.  When women who started out on the Forward tees get older, there's nowhere to go.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”