Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Why do I hit blades better than CBs?

ZenGolfer

On 5/1/2020 at 4:16 PM, Pingistheanser said:

True, you sure know it when you hit those blades on the screws though because it doesnt even feel like the ball in there and the ball just goes and goes.  On the other hand, you know when you miss it too because the club vibrates like a tuning fork.

Im back to playing the Atomics because I know theyre the clubs that I should be playing for the level that my game is at and long-term, Im going to play better with them.  I still dont always love the Atomics though.  I still struggle with the distance control of them sometimes and some days I just dont hit them very well at all.

Take today for example.  I shot an 87.  Good score, sure but I was absolutely garbage with my irons.  Part of it was because I was play in very wet and slopping conditions, so a lot of my shots were fat (the ground was almost like you were always hitting out of a bunker) but I just was all over the place with them.  Pulls, blocks, fat, thin; just not very good.  Had I not been hitting the ball so well off the tee and been so good with my short game, I dont know that I would have broke 100.

OHHH There is nothing like the sting when you miss an old Macgregor 2 iron with a hard leather grip on it on a crisp cool day. My old man used to say "Old Man Mac will let you know"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

23 hours ago, Tsecor said:

why would you play ANY club you dont score with? makes no sense

The last time I played I threw my VIP 2 iron in the bag because I would need it on a couple of shots on that course. Some Idiot asked me if I could hit a 2 iron? I asked him then what in the hell would it be in my bag for?  My bud Bear remarked " what an idiot" asking a man with a bag full of lead taped Macgregor blades if he could hit that 2 iron

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

The last time I played I threw my VIP 2 iron in the bag because I would need it on a couple of shots on that course. Some Idiot asked me if I could hit a 2 iron? I asked him then what in the hell would it be in my bag for?  My bud Bear remarked " what an idiot" asking a man with a bag full of lead taped Macgregor blades if he could hit that 2 iron

The best i've heard in a long while. Thanks Stu!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 3 months later...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have thought this about myself too. I got retro-fitted for a set I bought used thinking it was an upgrade over my hand-me-down set. It is a GI set from 2014 but I feel like I just don't have the consistency (even though i practice way more and have had lessons) with it that I did with my hand-me-down set that was 2 flexes to flexy. Thinking about doing in and getting truly fitted for a new set and seeing if I land in a more players iron in which I can learn from my mishits and control things more.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 8/11/2020 at 6:04 PM, rbsiedsc said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have thought this about myself too. I got retro-fitted for a set I bought used thinking it was an upgrade over my hand-me-down set. It is a GI set from 2014 but I feel like I just don't have the consistency (even though i practice way more and have had lessons) with it that I did with my hand-me-down set that was 2 flexes to flexy. Thinking about doing in and getting truly fitted for a new set and seeing if I land in a more players iron in which I can learn from my mishits and control things more.

The guys who write for the MGS blog like to say that buying clubs without getting properly fit is like buying a lottery ticket.  So if your newer set wasn't really fit to you, then there's any number of reasons that the older clubs could work better, but it's highly doubtful that they're best for you.  With all the different head designs available today, I'd be shocked if you couldn't find something that works better than your hand-me-downs.  The Players Distance category wasn't really a thing back in 2014, so there's a whole new category of irons available to you.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 3 years later...

I presently game the 2018 2018 X-forged iron. I recently went to a Callaway fitting by a Callaway rep. I hit the 2024 Apex Pro series. To my and the fitters surprise I was more consistent with the MB;s over the CB’s or Pro’s. I shoot mid 70’s-mid 80’s. The Callaway rep said I was one of the few people to ever hit the more blade-like MB better than CB or game improvement irons. It really isn’t as much about handicap as it is ball striking. My short game is my problem

TSF1