Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2020 Official Member Review: Exputt putting simulator

On 6/1/2023 at 5:51 AM, OHgolfer2 said:

I agree that Exputt is a great tool - it saves me 2+ strokes per round.  My point was that it would be relatively easy for them to allow for randomization of, say, uphill/downhill slope in practice mode on the RG since they already do it for distances.  The benefit to those who use it is obvious - lag putting practice that more closely replicates what is seen on a course.   At least for random distances + random uphill/downhill slopes, the user would have to make a distance adjustment similar to on course.

All of what you ask for is in Play 9 mode... Every hole starts from a new distance and break. If you want your practice to be that random, might as well practice holing out also!

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 7/25/2023 at 10:51 AM, BrockportGolf said:

I had the camera below the TV.  Even though it "found the mat" and allowed me to play, it was about 3-4" lower than the specs called.
Once I mounted it higher than the TV, it worked perfectly.
So, I hate to admit it was a user-error this whole time.

Mounted that high over the TV was a bit difficult.  I used the box on its side plus about 6-books and the stand.
It was like a house of cards back there.
The "TV mount" that came with it is an absolute joke.  I dunno how that would clip to any TV.
It was great to get the full-use of the system and really allowed my to dial-in.
I actually developed a whole new putting stroke.

Thanks for the help!!

Hmh.  In my most common setup. I have the camera on a stool that sits about 38 to 40” off the ground.  The main TV it’s hooked to is about 7 feet off the ground on a wall mount   And the camera right below it. It is aimed more toward the putting end of the mat than the bumper end.   But yet I think it detects the whole thing in setup. 

I’ll be using it frequently during the upcoming EVNROLL forum testing. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 5 months later...

I really wish they would create something for the mod community. Allow us to create new maps and mods and integrate with other launch monitors. I do see there is a GSPro connector now for Mevo+ and MLM2PRO which is awesome. But they are missing out on a making this something that could be used a lot more. Mini golf mode to get kids and family into it. If they open this up for modding I can only imagine. Just think using the AR mode of Quest 3 to or something.

1 hour ago, Vgwizardx said:

I really wish they would create something for the mod community. Allow us to create new maps and mods and integrate with other launch monitors. I do see there is a GSPro connector now for Mevo+ and MLM2PRO which is awesome. But they are missing out on a making this something that could be used a lot more. Mini golf mode to get kids and family into it. If they open this up for modding I can only imagine. Just think using the AR mode of Quest 3 to or something.

Not a bad idea considering the lack of good putting on most golf sims.

If you've seen the unit, though, it's a very small self contained tube - cam, power connector in, HDMI connector out - so I'm assuming the software is very purpose specific / limited..?

Not to say that couldn't be extended, however... Send feedback to the company!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

Not a bad idea considering the lack of good putting on most golf sims.

If you've seen the unit, though, it's a very small self contained tube - cam, power connector in, HDMI connector out - so I'm assuming the software is very purpose specific / limited..?

Not to say that couldn't be extended, however... Send feedback to the company!

I think if they created an interface that would output data someone could design their own software to piggyback on the tracking system relatively easily. 

From what I can see, there are only 5 data points

• Putter speed
  • Putter face angle
  • Putter face path
  • Ball speed
  • Ball angle

If they built in a software to output that data in a basic format, it would be easy for modders to splice that data into other software, in much the same way that mods allow you to run GSPro with a SkyTrak.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Does anyone know of any discount codes for the Exputt at present? All the old ones I've found are dead.

Sorry, no. Keep hunting around .. maybe try Bing? .. have not myself but Microsoft claims it searches however many millions or billions of websites to find deals...

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Update: got an email about Google's Bard AI is now Gemini .. so asked it for info...

Screenshot_20240209-190520_Vivaldi.jpg.3e9f2c1b7a578cb2489c7ea8e255937e.jpg

🤷‍♂️

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Sadly it sounds like they've discontinued coupon codes as they are low on inventory 😞

Oh well. IMHO it's way worth the money for indoor, year round putting practice. The next best thing that I'm aware of is Putt View .. which comes in at around $50 (yes fifty) thou for the home version!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

45 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh well. IMHO it's way worth the money for indoor, year round putting practice. The next best thing that I'm aware of is Putt View .. which comes in at around $50 (yes fifty) thou for the home version!

I'm still very tempted, I just can't justify $450 at the minute having just bought a new driver! If it was $300 it would be close to a no brainer.

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  - Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz.1

14 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

I'm still very tempted, I just can't justify $450 at the minute having just bought a new driver! If it was $300 it would be close to a no brainer.

You could search for a used one; which you should be able to obtain in the price range you are seeking

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Managed to pick an Exputt RG up for just under $300 off Ebay. I've got to say, I think I'm converted. I've been playing around with it switching from 9 stimp to 11 stimp (the typical range in my area) as prior to this I've had a lot of issues leaving my lag putts short (I think down to deceleration with fear of going long).

Played my first round yesterday after three days of Exputt and I was putting so much better. It was my lowest SG putting in ~3 months (-1.6SG off my target hcap), despite being on really slow shaggy greens (which has been a real struggle for me in the past). That also included 3x slightly silly three putts (one I clipped the ground behind the ball on a 50ft putt and it stopped way short, one I absolutely hammered 10ft past on the second hole, and one I left the ball ~6 inches short on a short putt) It felt like every lag was finishing within 2-4 feet of the hole for an easy two putt. I literally didn't have a second putt over 4 feet absent those two mistakes.

I would say the biggest difference was having a "feel" for the distances - for example if I had a severely uphill 20ft putt I would think "20 feet, plays like 26 feet" - and more often than now I would be within 1ft of distance estimate.

This is definitely going in the practice routine. I think the main thing I've loved is the ability to quickly set it up in ~2-3 minutes and roll 20-30 putts, versus unrolling and setting up the BirdieBall mat which is a bit of a hassle. 

I'm also really enjoying seeing immediate feedback on face angle at impact - I'm basically only working on that and distance control and it really simplifies having something to immediately work on. It's funny - 1 week ago I felt like hitting a barn door from 50ft away was a challenge, whereas now I'm mildly annoyed when I hit a putt that's to within 2 feet but with 0.7 degrees impact angle so I know it's going to miss!

I know this is an older thread, but I'd be interested in hearing how other people are using the stats in Exputt for longer term improvement. It's a bummer you can't export/view historical data from some sort of web portal ala Arccos.

Edited by Rearviewmirror

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  - Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz.1

1 hour ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Managed to pick an Exputt RG up for just under $300 off Ebay. I've got to say, I think I'm converted.

Good find, and great to read it's helping you!!

There was a post earlier about being able to export data to look at trends, but for now that still falls under the "Nice To Have" wish list.

Like you I also tend to focus on face angle .. typical miss is also slightly open .. and also usually use it in Practice mode at random distances on 10 or 11 stimp (tho I should also add in a slower speed). 

Really is a useful gadget!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Managed to pick an Exputt RG up for just under $300 off Ebay.

I would say the biggest difference was having a "feel" for the distances - for example if I had a severely uphill 20ft putt I would think "20 feet, plays like 26 feet" - and more often than now I would be within 1ft of distance estimate.

Distance control was definitely where I felt it helped me the most.  Like you said,  just building those feels helped immensely on the course.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Managed to pick an Exputt RG up for just under $300 off Ebay. I've got to say, I think I'm converted. I've been playing around with it switching from 9 stimp to 11 stimp (the typical range in my area) as prior to this I've had a lot of issues leaving my lag putts short (I think down to deceleration with fear of going long).

Played my first round yesterday after three days of Exputt and I was putting so much better. It was my lowest SG putting in ~3 months (-1.6SG off my target hcap), despite being on really slow shaggy greens (which has been a real struggle for me in the past). That also included 3x slightly silly three putts (one I clipped the ground behind the ball on a 50ft putt and it stopped way short, one I absolutely hammered 10ft past on the second hole, and one I left the ball ~6 inches short on a short putt) It felt like every lag was finishing within 2-4 feet of the hole for an easy two putt. I literally didn't have a second putt over 4 feet absent those two mistakes.

This is definitely going in the practice routine. I think the main thing I've loved is the ability to quickly set it up in ~2-3 minutes and roll 20-30 putts, versus unrolling and setting up the BirdieBall mat which is a bit of a hassle. 

I'm also really enjoying seeing immediate feedback on face angle at impact - I'm basically only working on that and distance control and it really simplifies having something to immediately work on. It's funny - 1 week ago I felt like hitting a barn door from 50ft away was a challenge, whereas now I'm mildly annoyed when I hit a putt that's to within 2 feet but with 0.7 degrees impact angle so I know it's going to miss!

I know this is an older thread, but I'd be interested in hearing how other people are using the stats in Exputt for longer term improvement. It's a bummer you can't export/view historical data from some sort of web portal ala Arccos.

I had three big takeaways from using the Exputt. One is the importance of face angle - learned pretty quickly that path is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to putting, and you should just focus on face angle and speed. The second takeaway, related to that, was that I learned that I need a face balanced putter. I compared two similar mallets - one with 20° of toe hang, and the other face balanced, and my face angle distribution was waaaay better with the face balanced putter. The final takeaway was developing a system for distance control by maintaining the same tempo with every putt stroke and just varying the length of my backswing and follow through.

Definitely feel you on the change in expectations though - I feel like my putting has been pretty bad over the past year, but when I pull up my Arccos data this is what it says:

Screenshot2024-02-19at10_25_37AM.jpeg.62c0b906c51a3b123cbea502bce0e23d.jpeg

Think I'm gonna pull the Exputt out and get some practice in before the season really kicks off!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour