Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft length and shaft flex question

Sparkee

Good day , with all the time we have on our hands these days I have come up with a scenario of golf shaft questions . I am an active 62 year old who’s driver swing speed is definitely going the wrong way . I have stepped up my exercise program looking for a little more core strength and flexibility. Now my question is on the equipment side of things , I am currently playing a Ping G410 Plus , haven’t played too many games with it as I purchased it in late fall , lots of garage bay time though . I currently use a SkyPro , a 3 Bays GSA and a yupitoru GST-5 Gl launch monitor .Between the three of them there is a lot of plus minus accuracy issues but it all boils down to an 85 to 91 mph driver swing speed , closer to the high 80’s. I am using a reg flex driver shaft full length , choking down about 3/4 inch. Would a senior flex shaft cut down 3/4 give me a little more yardage due to a few more miles per hour and still keep accuracy ? Like I said lots of time on my hands . I will be going for winter lessons when we are allowed to due to COVID restrictions . I am hoping the lessons will be a positive in my ongoing quest for golf perfection .🤔

2 minutes ago, Sparkee said:

Would a senior flex shaft cut down 3/4 give me a little more yardage due to a few more miles per hour and still keep accuracy ? 

The simple answer is probably not;  shaft flex won't increase MPH.   If you dive deep into this the answer could be maybe.   You would need to assess where on the face you hit your current driver;  If you don't hit it in the center of the face you are losing distance;  finding the ideal shaft specs (length, flex, weight, profile, etc.)  will help.  A lighter weight shaft may help you swing faster,  lighter weight does not mean softer flex.   You also need to remember that the faster you swing (and the farther the ball goes)  you will probably see a wider dispersion pattern if the face angle at impact variance remains the same.  Meaning that if you hit the ball straight and the face is 1* open,  you will be farther right at 250 yards than at 200 yards.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There’s no industry standard for flex to include within a brands own lines so saying a sr flex or even one cut down any sort of length could add speed and/or accuracy would be a guess. The profile of a shaft will have more of an effect than flex. There’s several members here who have gone thei fittings and end up in shafts that they would have not been considered by the member. @Golfspy_CG2 during a fitting found out that a stiff lightweight shaft worked better for him even though he was on the slower swing speed side and is in the older golfer category.

finding a shaft and head combo that produces the optimized ball flight for your swing would be the only way to know what really works. Two people with the same swing speed can be fit into different shafts because they swing the club differently 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I would even take things a little farther and say that you could in fact lose distance by going shorter with the driver shaft. Cnosil is correct in that weight does not equal flex. You could potentially benefit from a lighter shaft  ( hypothetically, going to 50 gram from a 60 gram), but it still all comes down to contact in the center of the club face. As soon as winter clears, I am starting an experiment where I am going an inch longer on my driver shaft. My fitter suggested that I could gain up to 10 yards and maybe 2 mph in my driver. It remains to be seen, and the decision will really come down to dispersion. Good luck with this. Let us know how it goes.

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH