Titleist Tour Speed

1 hour ago, mr.paintmaker said:

The price is okay but not low like the TM Tour response and Srixon Q star tour.

This is the main marketing issue I think Titleist is facing. They want this ball to compete against other Tour-level balls like Z-Star and not against lower-tier competitor urethanes (Q-Star Tour). But as a consumer, I'm absolutely doing what you're describing where I look at a competitor brand and then find their non-Tour urethane option. And in that comparison, no way I'm spending $40/dz unless I just *have* to play Titleist specifically.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

5 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

Yes, I saw that too, but it really didn't surprise me.  Was it a good ball?  Absolutely, but I guess I was expecting something more.  I really thought I would see better performance hitting into the green, but my swing speed is probably not fast enough to see a difference.

I really had trouble with distance control on the green when putting.  The feel was just not there for me.  Personally, I think the Maxfli Tour (my previous gamer) was much easier to judge distance.  I did a little putting comparison with the Maxfli Tour and the e12 and I found them very, very close when it came to distance control.

I found quite the opposite on the stopping power.  And I certainly don’t have a high swing speed.  Maybe 73 mph on a 7 iron.  But I do hit a high ball.   Almost all of my irons it stopped within 3-5 feet of the ball mark.  

And I absolutely loved the soft/quiet feel off the putter. Even more so than my ProVX 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

37 minutes ago, greggarner said:

This is the main marketing issue I think Titleist is facing. They want this ball to compete against other Tour-level balls like Z-Star and not against lower-tier competitor urethanes (Q-Star Tour). But as a consumer, I'm absolutely doing what you're describing where I look at a competitor brand and then find their non-Tour urethane option. And in that comparison, no way I'm spending $40/dz unless I just *have* to play Titleist specifically.

Agreed. There are a number of urethane options out there at a lower price point that perform very well. Tough to justify $40, especially for someone like me, when I can pick up something else right next to it on the shelf for $10, or order online for literally half the price.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

23 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Agreed. There are a number of urethane options out there at a lower price point that perform very well. Tough to justify $40, especially for someone like me, when I can pick up something else right next to it on the shelf for $10, or order online for literally half the price.

Sites like “Lost Golf Balls” have excellent prices and and options.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I received a sleeve of the Tour Speed from Titleist to try and review. Overall it a good ball and at a good "bang for your buck". I'm not extremely brand loyal when it comes to balls. I found the Tour Speed ball to perform well. It appeared to be as long as the balls I currently play and spun well inside of 100yds and around the green. I found feel to be too soft for my liking. I didn't care for the feel when putting. The cover seemed to rough up a little more as well. Overall though, at $35/dz it was a good ball. I still prefer the Snell MTB and MTB X at the same price point.

Archived