Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Spieth Putting the new T100 and T200 into play at The Open Championship

Golfspy_CG2

Some equipment notes from Titleist on Jordan Spieth moving to the new T100 irons this week.

Spieth adds NEW T100’s, testing NEW T200 long irons

T100 Spieth Fitting 2.jpg

Before his flight to England last weekend, Jordan Spieth made an important packing decision, adding a new set of T-Series T100 irons to the bag. His prior generation T100’s stayed home in Dallas.

At this week’s Open Championship, Spieth, who first experienced the final prototypes during a Titleist photo shoot the week of the AT&T Byron Nelson, will be playing the new T100 4-9 irons with True Temper Project X 6.5 shafts. He has also been testing new T200 2- (Graphite Design Tour AD D1 105 X) and 3- (True Temper Project X 6.5) irons this week at Royal St. George’s, and could take both of them to the first tee Thursday.

It was at the Open Championship in 2019 that Spieth, an instrumental part of the development process for the Titleist Golf Club R&D team, made the switch to the original T100 models.

Like 2019, he has spent the last couple weeks at home testing the new irons, dialing them in for competition, with Titleist’s Director of Players Promotions J.J. Van Wezenbeeck just a text or call away. 

T100 Spieth Fitting.jpg

“When we first introduced the new T100’s to Jordan in Dallas, he commented immediately on the look and feel, how well they went through the turf, and how consistently they were flying,” Van Wezenbeeck said. “Talking with him last week, as he was working through the set, he said his ball speeds were extremely consistent, and he was really happy from a visual standpoint.”

Said Spieth, about seeing the new T100’s for the first time: “First thing you noticed is how they look, kind of the backside of the iron. You could see the color just kind of more matted out, and then a really clean back to it. Just very simple – stays looking almost like a blade with the forgiveness of a cavity back.

“I don’t understand why you’d play any other iron to be honest,” Spieth said. “I joke around, ‘I’m not good enough to play the blades,’ but in reality, I think we’re just being smarter. I think we’re just like, ‘Oh, we can actually hit every shot that a blade can hit.’ But that chance that we mishit them – which we’re going to mishit a few shots in a round, even in a great round, the idea that it does carry that bunker and you make birdie on a hole where someone has to get up and down for par – I mean, it could be the difference in a tournament.”

T200 Spieth.jpg

OTHER NOTES:

• Spieth and Justin Thomas are two of several players testing NEW T200 long irons this week. Thomas, who traveled to England with a prior generation T-MB 2-iron, worked with Titleist European Tour Rep Liam McDougallin moving to a new T200 2-iron (True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100), which he tested during practice rounds, preferring the lower offset, look and feel.

• Adam Scott has two NEW T100 3-irons in the bag this week – one built at a 2-iron loft and length, and the other at a standard 3-iron setup. He’s also moved back into a TSi4 driver (with Graphite Design Tour AD D1 7 X shaft), following a recent trip to the new Titleist Performance Centre at Woburn in England to work with Titleist European Tour Rep Liam McDougall. 

Said McDougall: “We moved Adam from TSi2 to TSi4 and went back to the Graphite Design shaft he was using when he won the Masters. The two marry up very well for him, getting his feels back to something he was familiar with while giving him the lower, right-to-left shot shape and consistency he was looking for this week.”

“With the new T100’s, the way the sole goes through the links turf was very favorable to Adam’s delivery and flight requirements,” McDougall said.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I would say it was rather successful ending up placing 2nd!!  Interesting that he used a T200 rather than their driving irons.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

my thought is that he was probably trying to get a little more forgiveness than the 100's but went into the 200's vs the driving irons to launch it a little lower. just a guess

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X