• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes, depends on the course
  2. 2. What club did it replace?

• 4 iron or another long iron
    • Driving Iron
    • Hybrid
    • 5 wood
  3. 3. Why do you enjoy playing a 7 wood if you do?

• Consistency
    • Height
    • Forgiveness
    • Distance
    • Other - post in thread
  4. 4. What is the biggest strength of your 7 wood compared to the club it replaced?

• Consistency
    • Forgiveness
    • Height/Spin
    • Distance
    • Other - post in thread

Love my 7 wood, great when going for par 5’s in 2.  Nice high ball flight that lands softly, same goes for tee shots on short, tight par 4’s as the ball stays where it lands.

I do not. For the vast majority of courses I play, I get a lot more value and consistency from having a utility iron in the bag. I use it off the tee a lot. I’m also in the northeast and greens generally aren’t hard enough that they won’t hold long irons so I don’t need a 7 wood for height and spin.

Moved to 7wood couple years ago. It replaced my 3 iron and hybrid in my bag but for two different reasons. 

as a 3 iron replacement it gives the distance I need with better height and angle of descent for the long par-3’s I play and when going for par-5’s in two. Off the tee, I use it for fairway finding stingers. I have a ping g425 that is very workable. 

as a hybrid replacement it provides the versatility for punch shots under tree limbs or out of rough. And by doing that it allowed me to add a 5-wood to the bag to meet other needs. 

it is a Swiss Army knife for me and I’ll never go back.

WITB

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics C722 

Woods: Ping G425 Max 5 & 7

Irons: Ping i59

Cleveland CBX zipcore 52*
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* full face

Odyssey x-act chipper

Mizuno OMOI D3

Golf is a game and spiritual discipline. Requires practice, then presence. Loving imperfection. No room for ego. 

I used a Cobra 7wood about 25 years ago and it was my “Go to” club back then. For the past 10-15 years I replaced my 3 & 4 irons with comparable Mizuno Hybrids. Last year, I replaced all my clubs with  Callaway Paradym clubs and my new Go to club is the 7 wood (for (200-210 yard shots). I like using this club for its consistency, higher ball flight, and distance capabilities. My swing speed has decreased over the years but my distances have remained constant due to current technology so for now I will keep the 7 wood in the bag…

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

A few reasons I ended up with a 7 wood:

- I was looking to plug a gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood.
- I had a 4 hybrid that I played previous as the gap between the 4 iron and 5 wood. The hybrid was a great club for me when my old miss was right (a slice), but since becoming a much better ball striker and having a miss left, the hybrid just doesn't suit my eye. Even if I adjust to flat and a few degrees down, it just looks odd, and then that kills the confidence with the club.
- The 7 wood is just sooooo easy. Honestly, it might be easier than a pitching wedge!

I should note that I'm a long hitter via high swing speed and still love the 7 wood. So this garbage some folks spout about it being for slower swingers, forget that nonsense.

Driver: PING G430 Max 9 Degree -- Vylyn 65 Four
Fairway: PING G430 Max 5 Wood -- Fujikura Motore X F1 6, Titleist TSR2 7 Wood -- Tensei 1k Black 65
Irons: Titleist T200 (4 to 6 Iron), Titleist T150 (7 to GW) -- Project X IO
Wedges: Vokey SM10 (52, 56, 60 Degree)
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Triple Wide
Ball: Titleist ProV1 or Chrome Tour 3-Stripe

I personally don’t use a 7-wood. I don’t feel I gain any advantage. My lowest iron is a 5i that I hit about 220. I find that I am much more consistent with my 5i than a 7-wood that I tested out. My next club up is a 5-wood that goes 240-245, so there isn’t a yardage gap that I need to fill. I generally hit my 5i high enough to not need the height assistance with a wood. 

Stealth 2 driver, Sim Max 2 3W, Nike VRPro 5W, Stealth irons, Cleveland ZipCore wedges, and Odyssey White Ice 330 putter. TP5x

I’ve rotated a 7 wood (ping 410) in and out of the bag for the last 3 years (still put in a utility iron or 5 wood based on expected playing conditions or course set up). I love it for its versatility.  I basically hit a stock fade with it about 220-225 in the air and way higher than I can hit a utility iron, however, if I try and hit more of a “flighted” draw with it I can get almost 245 out of it.   As a whole I would also say it’s more forgiving than my utility iron as well.  My only issue I have is that the face gets a little shallow at times when trying to dig one out of the rough, I tend to hit a few semi “pop ups” because you can almost hit it on the top of the crown if you misread the lie.  Overall, it’s become one of my favorite clubs in the bag. 

TSR 2 Driver.

TSR 3 3 wood and hybrid.

Ping G425 7 wood.

Srixon 785 irons.

RTX and Vokey wedges.

Odyssey 7 flat stick.

RECENTLY ON ANOTHER TOPIC, I SAID: "At my age, I'm short off the tee, [and] I have need of longer second shots much of the time. So I carry an older Cobra 5FW, and 2022 Mizuno 7FW and 5 and 6 HY"

My great Cobra is a 5/7FW that I previously had set to 7wood loft. So, when I got the Mizuno ST-X 220 7FW, I set the Cobra to 5wood loft. This setup has added both consistency and distance as well as confidence for all my longer shots. Best to all, Marv

I went for a fitting and the fitter recommended that I ditch my 3 hybrid for a 7 wood. I hadn’t hit a 7 wood since college and forgot how much I liked it. I have to say that it was a great piece of advice. I’m 62 and have lost some distance especially on my approach shots . The fitter put me in a Callaway Rogue 7 wood and it delivers 190 yds with no problem. I wonder why I ever stopped carrying a 7 wood.

I didn’t vote in the poll since I answer question 1 with a no and the other 3 questions assume you answered yes. I’m pretty content with my 3 wood - 19* hybrid - 4 iron setup in that 7-wood space. 

Callaway Epic Speed Driver, Ping G410 3W, PXG 0311 XF 19* hybrid, 4-AW Callaway Mavrik, 56* Callaway Jaws Raw Chrome, Odyssey White Hot OG WS-1

I used to for a number of years. I think they’re a great weapon to have. I moved to driving irons a few years ago when prepping to go to the UK and play links courses. Love the driving irons and ended up keeping them in the bag vs my 7 wood 

A middle aged guy working hard to lower his handicap and have as much fun doing it. I'm typically a Titleist guy but last year put Srixon irons in the bag and have loved them. I've been lucky enough to play 3 times in the UK as well, just getting back from England and Ireland in July so I can help with questions on that front as well. 

As I've gotten older it's all about loft and carry for me. I use a 16.5 3 fairway and a 7 wood. Never crazy about hybrids my 7 wood has a 5 wood shaft and works very well for me. At almost 80 and still a 5 handicap I've experimented with many different club combinations and the 7 wood just works best. 

I have a 7 wood turned down a couple degrees so it's actually a 6 wood and I love it. So much easier to hit especially off the deck, more consistent, higher so easie

Justin D

Tar Heel 4 Life

GDTBATH

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 studio select

TaylorMade MG4 49, 54, 58

Srixon ZX5 MKII 4-PW

PXG Gen 6 311 driver, 4 wood and 6 wood

I have a 7 wood turned down a couple degrees so it's actually a 6 wood and I love it. Much easier to hit especially off the deck, more consistent, higher so easier to hold greens than a 3 iron. I'm really happy with the switch.

Justin D

Tar Heel 4 Life

GDTBATH

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 studio select

TaylorMade MG4 49, 54, 58

Srixon ZX5 MKII 4-PW

PXG Gen 6 311 driver, 4 wood and 6 wood

My 7 wood is my 195 yd club. It replaced a 5 wood which pretty much got the same distance, so I go from 5 iron to 7 wood, 3 wood and driver. 

Currently in the bag:

default_taylormade-small.jpg.8268978f68e9a2c285b5da0ecf4800af.jpg  BRNR 300 Mini
default_taylormade-small.jpg.8268978f68e9a2c285b5da0ecf4800af.jpg Sim2 Max Steel 3W & 7W
default_taylormade-small.jpg.8268978f68e9a2c285b5da0ecf4800af.jpg M6 5i to PW
default_vokey-small.gif.935516f418922e887743b1b4d69cb70d.gif SM10 50º, 54º & 58º
default_titelist-small.jpg.4967a5cd8da77437ae9567d5750d4b36.jpg Scotty Cameron Newport Putter
default_footjoy-small.gif.d8729b81b8e2f52d22e3868491f8ea60.gif  HyperFlex Shoes, WeatherSof Glove
1590477705_SunMountain.png.2290cdecb938c5f334666927157d7908.png Speed Cart (hurting unit, needs to be replaced, badly)
default_srixon-small.jpg.72b878cd620906d15aaeef3baade6a8b.jpg Z-Star or default_titelist-small.jpg.4967a5cd8da77437ae9567d5750d4b36.jpg Pro-V1

To be honest, I’m slow to the fairway wood train. Just added a 5 wood recently to fill the gaps I have in yardage. That said, I’ve also been entertaining the idea of dropping my 3 hybrid in place of a 7 wood. A ton of good use-case info in here. Thanks everyone!

- Beale722

WITB:

• :cobra-small: Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5*
  • :taylormade-small: Taylormade M3 3W & 5W
  • :taylormade-small: Taylormade Sim Max 4H
  • :taylormade-small: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 5-AW
  • :taylormade-small: Taylormade HiToe SW,LW
  • :taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider Tour
  • :maxfli: Maxfli Tour X
  • Blue Tees Series S Rangefinder

Trying to hit the green from 225 isn’t the easiest for an amateur but there were times when I hit a great 4 iron and it just kept rolling through the green, or even worse, into a bunker.  The 7 wood helps me create a steeper angle of decent and a little more spin.  

V Doz - 4 handicap 

As I got older (now 73 shortly 74), the 3W got harder and harder to use consistently.  So, replaced it with a 7W.  Currently game a PXG "Black Ops" 7W with Graphite Design. Tour AD H4 R2 shaft, which was fitted in a recent PXG fitting.  Absolutely love the Black Ops upgrades in the bag, performance is "night and day" better than last clubs which were not fitted.

Grinder

Rules Official with FSGA

I love my 7 wood!  I have a Calloway Rogue ST.  I will use it for shots 150 - 165 yards.  I’m pretty consistent with this club.  I also have a 11 wood that I love!  

Zgolfen

I replaced the seven wood with my 5 iron. Seven wood was all over the place and hard not to hit chunky for me

Ping v2 raptor driver

ray cook sr900 putter

I bought a cheap ass Hippo 7 wood with a no name graphite shaft out of curiosity 10+ years ago for $20, that was languishing in the closeout section of TJ Maxx of all places.  Much to my surprise, it has not left my bag and is a great compliment to my 3 or 4 hybrids, with a high ball flight and soft landing, and is my go to club out of thickish rough.  I'm a senior golfer and hit my 7 iron about 150ish on a good day..!  With adjustments to swing, the 7w is good for shots between 150 to 180ish for me.

I had a old Mizuno T-Zoid 7-Wood with a metal shaft that my son lost.  I have been trying to find something to replace it for years and there has been nothing as good.  So consistent and reliable.

I try to play 1x / week but the PA weather usually has something to say about that.

I play a 5 wood at 7 wood length. In the past I have not had luck with hitting woods off the deck as I used to be really steep and over the top. Now that my swing changes are more consistent I am using it more. It is my 245 - 255 club so which is rare i have into a green. Not quite confident with hitting it off the tee yet as I have a Mizuno HM Pro 4 iron at 21* that goes about 230 or so with roll. 

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen4 9* playing 10.5*  at 45in, weight in heel, HZRD Smoke yellow 70x

5 Wood: PXG 0211 (2021) 18* playing at 42in, AV Raw White 75x

4 iron: Mizuno HM Pro playing 21* with PX LZ 6.5

5-GW: PXG 0211 (2021) with PX LZ 6.5

53 Degree: CBX Gen1 with DG S400

58 Degree: New Level forged DG S300 9*of bounce (tight lies/hard surface)

58 Degree: Mizuno T22 16* of bounce (Soft condition/thick rough)

I recently bought a used Callaway 7-wood. It's been in my bag for two rounds and I've only used it once, so far. It replaced (of all things) a "chipper" I had been using since the start of this season. The chipper was in the bag mostly for laughs. Although I enjoyed using it at times, I'm actually a pretty good chipper of the ball with conventional clubs so it was rather redundant. Anyway, I pulled the chipper and put the 7-wood in the bag hoping it would offer better results from the rough and give me more height than my 4-hybrid. Turns out, according to my SkyTrak, the 7w is only averaging about an extra yard of height over the 4h so I'm not sure if I'll bother to keep it in my bag. I might pull it in favor of my old Callaway Razr Hawk 5-wood, which I love.

Lee F. Crafford