Seven wood anyone?

I replaced my 17* Super Hybrid with a RADSpeed 5wood a few months ago, and so far the results have been very good -- much more consistent.  Like many others, I'm fed up with hooking my 21* hybrid, so I ordered a Tour Edge E722 7wood.  Ordered, custom-built and shipped all in the same day.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow XS

TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver/2W 12.5*, Elements Chrome XS

Callaway Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila Rogue 95 MSI XS

Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrid 20*, KBS Tour Steel XS

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 5-SW, Project X LZ Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

Just ordered a Ping G425MAX 7-Wood today. With the price drop I couldn't resist.

• Like 4

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

Titleist Scotty Cameron '21 Phantom X 11.5 Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

On 5/11/2022 at 7:46 PM, dusterdavid said:

Gobucs@att.net 

I have a Callaway Mavrik 7 wood.  Super easy to hit...I use it from 175-185.  Also have a Mavrik 9 wood (even easier to hit) 165-175 and a Mavrik 4 wood 200-210.  I have an 88mph swing speed and use reg shafts 3/4" under

Just saw this and curious - have u ever hit the corresponding Rogue ST Max woods?  I tried some demo’s and liked but curious if there is really any upgrade over the Mavrik?

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3

:taylormade-small:: Rescue 3 & 4, Aldila Reax 65 S

:ping-small:: G15 5i -SW, AMT S

Iron A Nelson: 58 deg, LB 

:ping-small:: Putter, 2i B60

:srixon-small:: Q-Star Tour

I mentioned on this topic earlier that I moved from a 19 hybrid to a Callaway Epic HeavenWood (not sure if that was ever intended to be a "for like" change), but after playing a few rounds with this in the bag--what a great move.  I was never comfortable with a hybrid and was forcing it.  When I made good contact with a hybrid I pulled it.  I am susceptible to the pull even with the HeavenWood, but it pretty much happens when I overswing.

I seem to have found a groove with this club where I have controlled the distance effectively from 175 to 230.  As a result, I rarely grab the 3W unless I'm in the tee box. 

What a great club and if a 7 wood is anything like this HeavenWood I understand the love.

• Like 2
  • Driver-Callaway Rogue Max ST 9.5
  • Fairway - Callaway Epic Max 3W
  • Fairway - Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood 
  • Irons-Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW, 3 Driving Iron
  • Wedges- Cleveland RTX 54, 58
  • Putter- Evnroll ER5v Short Slant

7 hours ago, KevB_44 said:

I mentioned on this topic earlier that I moved from a 19 hybrid to a Callaway Epic HeavenWood (not sure if that was ever intended to be a "for like" change), but after playing a few rounds with this in the bag--what a great move.  I was never comfortable with a hybrid and was forcing it.  When I made good contact with a hybrid I pulled it.  I am susceptible to the pull even with the HeavenWood, but it pretty much happens when I overswing.

I seem to have found a groove with this club where I have controlled the distance effectively from 175 to 230.  As a result, I rarely grab the 3W unless I'm in the tee box. 

What a great club and if a 7 wood is anything like this HeavenWood I understand the love.

I did the same except I replaced my 16º hybrid with the Epic Max Heavenwood.  The Heavenwood is a strong 7W with a 4W length shaft.  I loved it so much and hit it very well, I thought I could hit the Epic Max 3W... I was right!  I have never been able to hit any other 3W very well, which is why I used the 2H.  I loved them both so much that I replaced my 4H with the Epic Max 9W; also a great move.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It’s amazing to me all the different variations we all come up with and are happy with, well happy for a while.  The MGS forum members are very creative!

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I did the same except I replaced my 16º hybrid with the Epic Max Heavenwood.  The Heavenwood is a strong 7W with a 4W length shaft.  I loved it so much and hit it very well, I thought I could hit the Epic Max 3W... I was right!  I have never been able to hit any other 3W very well, which is why I used the 2H.  I loved them both so much that I replaced my 4H with the Epic Max 9W; also a great move.

Funny--after i got the Epic Max Heavenwood, I looked at the Cobra 3W (my only Cobra club) which I was OK with, and thought to myself--"I wonder what I can do with an Epic Max 3W..." so I investigated and found improved performance there too.  I don't use it much on the FW with how well the HW flies, but very nice ooff of the tee.  I guess I am an Epic Max fan.

• Like 2
  • Driver-Callaway Rogue Max ST 9.5
  • Fairway - Callaway Epic Max 3W
  • Fairway - Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood 
  • Irons-Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW, 3 Driving Iron
  • Wedges- Cleveland RTX 54, 58
  • Putter- Evnroll ER5v Short Slant

47 minutes ago, KevB_44 said:

Funny--after i got the Epic Max Heavenwood, I looked at the Cobra 3W (my only Cobra club) which I was OK with, and thought to myself--"I wonder what I can do with an Epic Max 3W..." so I investigated and found improved performance there too.  I don't use it much on the FW with how well the HW flies, but very nice ooff of the tee.  I guess I am an Epic Max fan.

I don't need a 3W off any tee at my course; it's a club to advance the ball as far as possible on par 5's.  Same with the Heavenwood actually when the 3W is just too much.  My swing speed isn't very high, but I can launch the 3W off the turf quite well; the Heavenwood launches much higher but doesn't roll out as much.  The 9W is my approach club when I have longer than my 5i if I want to have a high shot, otherwise I still use my 4i if I need to keep it down.  I'm an Epic Max fan as well.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 9:49 AM, Hacker Milt said:

Callaway makes a Rogue 7 wood for left handed golfers.  I bought mine for a shot over water from a downhill lie from a 3 hybrid distance.  I can fly the 7 wood almost as far as I hit the 3 hybrid including a lot of roll.  Love it!

Yes, I have been using my 7 wood for some downhill shots and for shots from the rough.  Love it.

Edited by HAC
  • Like 1
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • :titelist-small:  Pro V1 although I use Maxfli Tours during the offseason and other days when I am not playing well and don't want to lose Pro V1s.  

On 9/7/2022 at 5:57 PM, KevB_44 said:

Hmmm, I’ve recently gotten a 5 and now a 7 epic max, and absolutely love them. I also have a cobra 3 wood that I like but don’t love like my epics…

I have a par 5 that a tall row of eucalyptus forces everyone to try to hook around, or lay up for a 100 yd shot. So today I went right at it with my 7 wood and sure as can be, it made it over and left me a 20 yd chip.  

I LOVE my 7 wood…

• Like 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 5-AW

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (second best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

Hmmm, I’ve recently gotten a 5 and now a 7 epic max, and absolutely love them. I also have a cobra 3 wood that I like but don’t love like my epics…

I have a par 5 that a tall row of eucalyptus forces everyone to try to hook around, or lay up for a 100 yd shot. So today I went right at it with my 7 wood and sure as can be, it made it over and left me a 20 yd chip.  

I LOVE my 7 wood…

I love my Heavenwood for the same reason.  I also love my Epic Max 3W... except when I don't.  🤣  But it's 80% Love and I know the other 20% is due to my amateur status!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Recently I bought PING G425 7 wood just to experiment and compare against my 4 hybrid. Yesterday I put 7 wood in the bag for the first time. Despite the fact I hit my 4 hybrid usually quite well, 7 wood is in another league. As long I keep my tempo somehow manageable (which has recently been a struggle for me) the flight is high, straight (with the hosel on flat setting) and even borderline skulled shots somehow manage to get airbourne which is huge confidence boost for those shots over water, bushes in doglegs and onto elevated greens.

I have to compare 4 hybrid and 7 wood from the rough but initial results are very promising. What are MGS forum members experience with 7 wood shots out of rough, especially compared to a hybrid?

Edited by Calvo90
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

2 hours ago, Calvo90 said:

Recently I bought PING G425 7 wood just to experiment and compare against my 4 hybrid. Yesterday I put 7 wood in the bag for the first time. Despite the fact I hit my 4 hybrid usually quite well, 7 wood is in another league. As long I keep my tempo somehow manageable (which has recently been a struggle for me) the flight is high, straight (with the hosel on flat setting) and even borderline skulled shots somehow manage to get airbourne which is huge confidence boost for those shots over water, bushes in doglegs and onto elevated greens.

I have to compare 4 hybrid and 7 wood from the rough but initial results are very promising. What are MGS forum members experience with 7 wood shots out of rough, especially compared to a hybrid?

Neither club likes Bermuda rough, need more loft to get out of that “stuff”.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Calvo90 said:

Out of our Bermuda/zoysia mix rough, my HeavenWood will "sometimes" work.  Much more success with the 5H when it's sitting down, which it is 90% of the time.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 minute ago, CarlH said:

Out of our Bermuda/zoysia mix rough, my HeavenWood will "sometimes" work.  Much more success with the 5H when it's sitting down, which it is 90% of the time.

5H does work much better. 

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

22 hours ago, Calvo90 said:

Currently I carry a G425 max 4 hybrid and a 7 wood.  Love them both.  For me the 7 wood is more versatile in flight, while I am more comfortable hitting the 4H from different lies (ball above/below feet), due to the shorter shaft.  I find more success out of medium to long rough with the 4H.  I suspect that is because of how I swing the shorter shaft and maybe how I mentally approach the shot (I've never felt confident hitting any fairway wood out of rough).  Off short rough of fairway lies, I much prefer the 7W.  I find it easier to elevate, and am more confident controlling distance with it.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

On 9/24/2022 at 8:18 AM, TheCanadianBogeyman said:

Currently I carry a G425 max 4 hybrid and a 7 wood.  Love them both.  For me the 7 wood is more versatile in flight, while I am more comfortable hitting the 4H from different lies (ball above/below feet), due to the shorter shaft.  I find more success out of medium to long rough with the 4H.  I suspect that is because of how I swing the shorter shaft and maybe how I mentally approach the shot (I've never felt confident hitting any fairway wood out of rough).  Off short rough of fairway lies, I much prefer the 7W.  I find it easier to elevate, and am more confident controlling distance with it.

My initial experience is the same. I still have to try ''chop down'' shot with the fairway wood when the ball is nestled in the rough but currently we are having too much rain. Winter is coming...

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

so my question for others. 7 wood or UW? I have a chance to get either around the same price, so that is not a con/pro for me.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer lite

My Reviews:

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

4 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

so my question for others. 7 wood or UW? I have a chance to get either around the same price, so that is not a con/pro for me.

Assuming you have a 58-60° wedge already I would say the UW would be used more frequently but I don't know your game.

Hate yourself, not the game...