2024 What is safe in your bag? What's on the chopping block?

GolfSpy_APH

I’ve always been a 3-wood-off-the-tee guy despite trying to make the driver happen every few weeks to limited success. But once I put an 11.5* BRNR Mini in the bag (thanks, gift card!) I don’t think I’ll ever take it out. I just absolutely stripe that thing despite it being “less forgiving” than my Sim2 Max. Go figure.

The other club that’s always going to be safe for me is my Apex Pro 4H, which is my safety blanket when i need 180-200 yards. I like the PXG 0211 irons I’ve been gaming but I will eventually get fitted for a full set of something. The most likely clubs to be on the outs for me are any wedge that’s not my 56* Jaws Raw. Can’t seem to find a full wedge setup that I’m comfortable with so I’m constantly tweaking.

SJ

5 minutes ago, Jakesy35 said:

I’ve always been a 3-wood-off-the-tee guy despite trying to make the driver happen every few weeks to limited success. But once I put an 11.5* BRNR Mini in the bag (thanks, gift card!) I don’t think I’ll ever take it out. I just absolutely stripe that thing despite it being “less forgiving” than my Sim2 Max. Go figure.

The other club that’s always going to be safe for me is my Apex Pro 4H, which is my safety blanket when i need 180-200 yards. I like the PXG 0211 irons I’ve been gaming but I will eventually get fitted for a full set of something. The most likely clubs to be on the outs for me are any wedge that’s not my 56* Jaws Raw. Can’t seem to find a full wedge setup that I’m comfortable with so I’m constantly tweaking.

I really want to try out a mini brnr I'm 5w off teebox. Would the brnr work off deck?

I'm good at wedge dribbling

3 minutes ago, kam89 said:

I really want to try out a mini brnr I'm 5w off teebox. Would the brnr work off deck?

Honestly I only use it off the tees so I can’t say for myself, but it’s meant to also hit off the deck for sure. I’m just not very good with fairway woods unless they’re teed up. Trying to work on my 5W out of the fairway lately but it’s a work in progress lol

SJ

I knew I wanted to make some minor changes so I figured I'd reshaft the driver I was pretty well content with my bag overall. Ordered a shaft that never went in and is currently sitting in the corner still in plastic. Came across a deal on a driver head that I was considering using said shaft and building a low spin setup with. Neither of those happened because it all spiraled out of control really damn fast. 

Driver went this year. Mizuno JPX900 to a TSR3.

The 3 wood was next. Tour Edge CB4 I didn't think I'd ever part with to a TSR3. No matter what I've looked at for over the past decade that CB4 was never up for debate until I finished the driver fitting and figured I might as well hit something newer than 2011.

Wedges followed behind went from 2 Mizunos 52&56 to 3 Vokeys 50, 54, 60. To be fair, the wedges were past their groove life expectancy and should've been done a couple years ago. 

Thought that was gonna be the end of it but I figured I'd check out hybrids because I had way too much time at work one afternoon and ended up ordering a TSR3 hybrid to replace the Adams ProA12. I wasn't intending to move to more and more Titleist gear and I don't know that I've ever had the same line in driver, fairway, and hybrid but the gapping and shot shape all fit with what I wanted. It just feels a little weird seeing matching headcovers

Irons are still safe for foreseeable future. 

Currently blowing up my bag setup and changing things out to find something that works. 

On 2/29/2024 at 4:52 PM, BreakfastBall15 said:

I would say only thing on the chopping block are my irons. I love the heads but hate the shafts and it doesn't seem very cost effective to reshaft. 

If you know which shafts and lengths you want, there are some good deals on pulled shafts out there. I upgraded my 2019 P790s to x-stiff KBS Tour Lite shafts that I bought from FB marketplace locally. A local guy fitted them (not a store) and I bought some replacement stickers. After a clean up and installing the new stickers they looked like new. Without the stickers I was about $220/230 all in (6 clubs, 5i-PW).

I then sold the old shafts to offset the cost.

Just mentioning as it's not necessarily as costly as you'd think if you can find the right deal and local guy to do the work (or save more and do it yourself if you have all the tools).

2024 WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix:callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below]

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

23 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

If you know which shafts and lengths you want, there are some good deals on pulled shafts out there. I upgraded my 2019 P790s to x-stiff KBS Tour Lite shafts that I bought from FB marketplace locally. A local guy fitted them (not a store) and I bought some replacement stickers. After a clean up and installing the new stickers they looked like new. Without the stickers I was about $220/230 all in (6 clubs, 5i-PW).

I then sold the old shafts to offset the cost.

Just mentioning as it's not necessarily as costly as you'd think if you can find the right deal and local guy to do the work (or save more and do it yourself if you have all the tools).

I ended up finding a set of project x Ls 4-pw a while back. They were labeled as pulls but they were brand new and uncut. And found some wedge shafts on Facebook marketplace. Ended up costing around $320 for the 10 shafts and install. Definitely not as expensive as I thought. Just took a lot of looking around for a good set of shafts. I still have the 4 iron shaft incase I decide to grab a 4 iron and reshaft it later on

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

I ended up finding a set of project x Ls 4-pw a while back. They were labeled as pulls but they were brand new and uncut. And found some wedge shafts on Facebook marketplace. Ended up costing around $320 for the 10 shafts and install. Definitely not as expensive as I thought. Just took a lot of looking around for a good set of shafts. I still have the 4 iron shaft incase I decide to grab a 4 iron and reshaft it later on

That’s awesome. 
I admit I didn’t notice that your comment was from February. Ha ha. Glad you got the set sorted and didn’t have to spend too much!

2024 WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix:callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below]

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

Nothing is ever safe!!!! I constantly question all my clubs and wonder if I would get better performance elsewhere. That being said, I did just pick up a set of Miura KM-700s, thus I am trying to sell my CB's. The GT lineup from Titleist is super tempting. So I will check those out. 

Edited by Captwilks67

Driver: TSR3 9 Degree W/ Tensai 1k White 6x 

Woods: TSR2 15 degree w/ Graphite Design AD DI 7X Tipped

Hybrids: G430 Max 3i & 4i w/ Ventus Blue 9x HB 

Irons: Miura CB-302 5-PW w/ Oban Ct-115x 

Wedges: Edel 5, 54, & 58 w/ Modus 115 Wedge shafts

Putter: Scotty Newport Super Select 2.5+ 

43 minutes ago, Captwilks67 said:

Nothing is ever safe!!!! I constantly question all my clubs and wonder if I would get better performance elsewhere. That being said, I did just pick up a set of Miura KM-700s, thus I am trying to sell my CB's. The GT lineup from Titleist is super tempting. So I will check those out. 

I wonder when the new Titleist GT drivers will come out for sale?

Play like a champion today!

On 6/20/2024 at 12:00 AM, Javs said:

I wonder when the new Titleist GT drivers will come out for sale?

September is the word on the street 

Driver: TSR3 9 Degree W/ Tensai 1k White 6x 

Woods: TSR2 15 degree w/ Graphite Design AD DI 7X Tipped

Hybrids: G430 Max 3i & 4i w/ Ventus Blue 9x HB 

Irons: Miura CB-302 5-PW w/ Oban Ct-115x 

Wedges: Edel 5, 54, & 58 w/ Modus 115 Wedge shafts

Putter: Scotty Newport Super Select 2.5+ 

For me as my bag is pretty new (April) for 2024, nothing is on the chopping block, there will be additions in due course (once I am less poor 🤪) like a 3 wood to match the driver and then another club to fill out the bag (could go Mini Driver (Callaway AI Smoke Mini anyone??? and maybe a 5 wood instead of the 3 wood or maybe a 3 hybrid)

WITB 2024

Driver - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5* (Oban Isawa Red 65g 4 Flex)

Fairway Wood - TBC - Do I need one or do I go Mini Driver?

Hybrid - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4 21* Hybrid (Accra FX Gen 3 300H M4)

Irons - Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-GW (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff, 1* Weak Loft, Flat)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM10 Tour Chrome 56.10S,  60.08M (Nippon Modus Tour 125 Stiff, 1.5* Flat)

Putter - L.A.B Golf Link 1 (33", 69* lie)

Ball - Srixon Z Star Diamond / Titleist ProV1x