C-130 vs Maverick

CLaw

My search skills are failing me tonight because I’m positive someones discussed it:

What are the differences with the 2022 and 2023 c-130 and maverick bags from Sun Mountain?  I’m looking at them online but can only actually see the 2023 C-130 in store. I want a bag with 14 full dividers and like Sun Mountain, but I have a really hard time finding the differences between the two models and then year to year. The sale price for last years models makes it pretty tempting…

Edited by CLaw
Typo

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

As far as I can tell there isn't any significant differences between the years for either bag.  Our local golf store had 2022 models only, but comparing them to the 2023 models online and at stores in Phoenix in January, I can see any differences.  There are some new color ways.  We were looking for a hew bag for my wife; she tried clubs in both the Maverick and C-130 and liked the organization and access better in the Maverick.  Take a look at the top arrangement on the two bags; the design on the Maverick seems better for a riding cart   We got the 2022 model because of price.  

The difference between to C-130 and Maverick seems to be mostly weight; 7lbs for C-130 (13 pockets) and 5.6lbs (9 pockets) for Maverick.  Both have the cart stop pass through which was a requirement for my wife, but neither have a grip handle in the middle of the bag to lift in/out of the car.  I find that unfortunate, since I do most of the lifting.  The Maverick still seems like a quality bag though after a month of use.

I'm going to upgrade my old Wilson Staff Nexus stand bag with the C-130s stand bag.  I like the stand for carrying to the range and putting/pitching area, but I'm not going to carry a bag anymore for play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks @Kenny B, I still can’t find a lot highlighting the differences. All the reviews seem like they’re very similar, and at least the 2022 version says it has full length dividers so I’ll give that a shot. 

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

3 hours ago, CLaw said:

Thanks @Kenny B, I still can’t find a lot highlighting the differences. All the reviews seem like they’re very similar, and at least the 2022 version says it has full length dividers so I’ll give that a shot. 

Not much difference from year-to-year on bags that have been successful like the C-130.  The Maverick is newer and unless they come up with some new feature, it probably won’t change much either for a couple of years.  Can’t go wrong with either one; depends on the features you like.  Both have full length dividers and their cart pass through is great.

BTW, still cold and snowy up on Flathead?  My wife has relatives up that way.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Absolutely still cold. Buffalo says they’ll be open April 1st, but they still have inches of snow, just like my yard. 

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

Absolutely still cold. Buffalo says they’ll be open April 1st, but they still have inches of snow, just like my yard. 

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

• 4 weeks later...

No idea why I had the repeat posts before but just saw them…

got the Maverick and very happy. Comparing it to my neighbors older C-130 it seems very similar with just 2-3 less pockets. Absolutely worth it. 

Now just need the weather to cooperate. 

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe

• 3 weeks later...

Helpful topic, thanks @CLaw.

I need to replace my Titleist Lightweight Cart 14 as it's a bit on the average side 😂 and the C-130 was my next choice so glad someone asked about it

:wilson_staff_small:Wilson Staff M3 Driver, Fairway Wood and 4-PW Irons. :cleveland-small:Cleveland 58° 588 wedge, :rife-putters-1:Rife Barbados Islands Putter. :titleist-small:Titleist TruFeel balls, Titleist 14 Cart Bag and a Bag Boy Nitron Buggy

• 1 month later...

My red with black camo Maverick is coming tomorrow. From what I understand the cooler pocket is on the side and has more room for sandwiches and stuff. I'm pretty pumped about that haha. Sun Mountain makes a good bag.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 

Srixon ZX 2 Hybrid 

Srixon ZX 7 Wood

Srixon ZX5 Irons

Cleveland CBX Zipcore Wedges

Cleveland Milled Soft Putter 

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 10:13 PM, Kenny B said:

As far as I can tell there isn't any significant differences between the years for either bag.  Our local golf store had 2022 models only, but comparing them to the 2023 models online and at stores in Phoenix in January, I can see any differences.  There are some new color ways.  We were looking for a hew bag for my wife; she tried clubs in both the Maverick and C-130 and liked the organization and access better in the Maverick.  Take a look at the top arrangement on the two bags; the design on the Maverick seems better for a riding cart   We got the 2022 model because of price.  

The difference between to C-130 and Maverick seems to be mostly weight; 7lbs for C-130 (13 pockets) and 5.6lbs (9 pockets) for Maverick.  Both have the cart stop pass through which was a requirement for my wife, but neither have a grip handle in the middle of the bag to lift in/out of the car.  I find that unfortunate, since I do most of the lifting.  The Maverick still seems like a quality bag though after a month of use.

I'm going to upgrade my old Wilson Staff Nexus stand bag with the C-130s stand bag.  I like the stand for carrying to the range and putting/pitching area, but I'm not going to carry a bag anymore for play.

How is the stability of the Maverick?   I love the size, weight, and pocket layout, but empty at the store it seems easier to tip over easier than the Titleist cart 14 for example.   It has an oblong base vs more of a round or square base like some others.  

12 minutes ago, Tiger260 said:

How is the stability of the Maverick?   I love the size, weight, and pocket layout, but empty at the store it seems easier to tip over easier than the Titleist cart 14 for example.   It has an oblong base vs more of a round or square base like some others.  

It's not a bag that I would stand by itself.  When we unload bags from the car, I will stand my wife's Maverick bag up unless there is even a slight breeze.  It has blown over, so I usually lay it down.  Mine is a carry bag so no problem.  She liked the layout better for her shorter clubs in the Maverick over the Titleist Cart 14 and the SM C-130.  If I hadn't gotten the MGS Forum deal on the Jones bag, I would have bought the SM C-130S because of the legs.

24 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

It's not a bag that I would stand by itself.  When we unload bags from the car, I will stand my wife's Maverick bag up unless there is even a slight breeze.  It has blown over, so I usually lay it down.  Mine is a carry bag so no problem.  She liked the layout better for her shorter clubs in the Maverick over the Titleist Cart 14 and the SM C-130.  If I hadn't gotten the MGS Forum deal on the Jones bag, I would have bought the SM C-130S because of the legs.

Thanks! That’s kind of what I was afraid of.   Didn’t seem like it took much to knock it over.   That’s a shame, because it checks all of the boxes of a great lightweight cart bag.   Guess I’m going to lean towards the Titleist C14 or hybrid bags.   I ride, but my new high schooler is going to walk and we hit the range a lot.  

I’m lea ing with Kenny B but not as far. I have had it fall over once, out of the several dozen times I stand the bag up between the car and the cart. It’s tippy, but I usually still stand it up for a short minute or two without thinking about it. Love the bag so far. 

Tour Edge Bazooka 370

driver - Titleist 910D3

62’ Taylormade Hi-Toe