Golf Wedge Fitting: Where to Start

GolfSpy_APH

image.png

A new series and great read from the main site with a wealth on information, insights and simply if you are thinking about new wedges this a must read to help you get started. 

Have questions about wedge fittings? They are likely answered here!

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/wedge-fitting-101-where-to-start/

Were you fit for your wedges? What determines which wedges made it into your bag any do you have wedges from the same company or different? 

Let us know!

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Jamie, I think the link might be incorrect. I clicked on it and it wanted me to start a new topic on the forum. I went over to the main page and copied the link since I'm thinking about new wedges this year. 

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/wedge-fitting-101-where-to-start/

Thanks, looks like I grabbed from the wrong tab! Fixed and changed.

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thanks, looks like I grabbed from the wrong tab! Fixed and changed.

No problem! It's a really good article and I appreciate you posting it. I think wedge fitting needs to be done more, but I can understand how it can be frustrating. When I bought my Vokey wedges I wanted to test them on the simulator and the fitter said he would have to tape then up. That's a big nope, I just picked out the lofts and grinds I thought were best for me and paid for them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was unable to provide a link but received an ad from Renegar yesterday that had a link to a website piece that argues that wedge fitting is a waste of time. 

It’s primary argument is that since the overwhelming majority of wedge shots are not full shots and since wedges are hit from such a wide variety of lies and conditions fittings that include things like specialized grinds are a waste of time. Instead players need the technology of a specialized sole that is designed to assist with the variety of shots that a player faces.

I don’t completely buy that argument because we have a variety of wrist to floor measurements and swing speeds. We will need different length and shaft types for that. I do however agree that most players should either have a neutral bounce/grind scenario or a varied one in their wedges to account for the variety of conditions faced. 

I’ve had discussions with fitters about wedges but have never been expressly fit for them. The closest that I came was a Titleist ball fitting where wedge was used to determine ball fit. I got some help comments/suggestions from that. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

The article is definitely very thorough.   I think feel and results from actual course like conditions is key.  I know Titleist and others have a various wedge fittings and in person stuff to assess your wedge game etc.  

Other than gapping, bounce and type of course you play mostly can be assessed for wedges. But I think grind, shaft stiffness are all dependent on the person for feel.  

Some seem to advocate some work on a LM to check launch and spin in controlled situations. I agree that seems like a great step (if you can do it) to make sure you can hit shots with it at half the stated wedge loft with spin.  Using your own ball is vital to make sure the wedge is right for you.

I still can’t justify paying $200+ for custom wedges.  I think switching out for new wedges more often is better, so I just try to buy new heads of wedges I like now.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

• 1 month later...

Okay so I did ultimately have a wedge fitting and ended up in Indi's - see my review that is in progress or comments in the wedge/iron section.

While at that fitting I did use my ball and my fitter suggested that I try the AVX - I've switched off of the Pro VIx because it's become too spinny for my long clubs - he agreed (he fit me for driver, too).  I tried the Chrome Soft x LS completely by accident, we got a sleeve as a door prize at the clubs member-guest last March.  I had them in my bag, was playing like crap and said what the heck, hit one off the tee off of 14.  Hit a lower draw down the left side - went to where I thought my ball would be - around my son's drive - I have one that hits it a mile one that doesn't, this was the one who doesn't and normally we are about the same length.  My ball wasn't there - we found it just in the rough 20 yards farther.  Uhmmmm - the rest is history - I've been gaming that ball since but I would prefer some more green side and part shot spin.  

So I will be trying the AVX over the next few weeks - I'm concerned that the ball flight will be too low.  After that it will be the Pro VI.  I'm betting that's the winner for me.  

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

On 7/4/2023 at 7:04 PM, revkev said:

Okay so I did ultimately have a wedge fitting and ended up in Indi's - see my review that is in progress or comments in the wedge/iron section.

While at that fitting I did use my ball and my fitter suggested that I try the AVX - I've switched off of the Pro VIx because it's become too spinny for my long clubs - he agreed (he fit me for driver, too).  I tried the Chrome Soft x LS completely by accident, we got a sleeve as a door prize at the clubs member-guest last March.  I had them in my bag, was playing like crap and said what the heck, hit one off the tee off of 14.  Hit a lower draw down the left side - went to where I thought my ball would be - around my son's drive - I have one that hits it a mile one that doesn't, this was the one who doesn't and normally we are about the same length.  My ball wasn't there - we found it just in the rough 20 yards farther.  Uhmmmm - the rest is history - I've been gaming that ball since but I would prefer some more green side and part shot spin.  

So I will be trying the AVX over the next few weeks - I'm concerned that the ball flight will be too low.  After that it will be the Pro VI.  I'm betting that's the winner for me.  

The left dash Titlist should be long, low spin and high flight if you can find a buddy to share a sleeve, some of the Bridgestone Tour balls might work as well, the newer versions are a big improvement to me and my old eyes pick up their "optic" yellow better than any other ball, Dont forget according to MGS themselves Maxfli is coming to the front so they would be a cheap experiment if one of theirs fell into the parameters you want, good luck.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

The left dash Titlist should be long, low spin and high flight if you can find a buddy to share a sleeve, some of the Bridgestone Tour balls might work as well, the newer versions are a big improvement to me and my old eyes pick up their "optic" yellow better than any other ball, Dont forget according to MGS themselves Maxfli is coming to the front so they would be a cheap experiment if one of theirs fell into the parameters you want, good luck.

Appreciate the help - I was a Bridgestone and Maxifli tester in testing years past. 

I think it’s more which ball in a brands menu fits - there will be several of that “type” to chose from. 

I did a wedge fitting with the Titleist rep.  He had me hit a couple of wedge shots using my set pitching wedge to start the process.  After that, he had me hit wedges without me looking at what they were so I did not know what the loft, grind or bounce was.  Durning the session we discussed where I play and how I use wedges. When we were all done, he showed me what I had been hitting the best and that is what I ordered.  

I have been told and read in the article to replace wedges after 75 rounds.  My main wedge around the green is my trusty 56 degree.  Since I have been playing about 125 to 150 rounds the plast few years, that would mean I would need to purchase two 56 degree wedges every year.  That's a lot of $$.  After about 100 rounds on my current 56 degree wedge, the height and distance is still good but balls do not stop on a dime.  I have adjusted to the extra roll out and think that I will wait until next year to buy new ones.     

Edited by CrazyGolfNut
  • Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 25deg 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM10 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow or Srixon Q Star Tour 5 Yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:   :sunmountain:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

10 hours ago, CrazyGolfNut said:

I did a wedge fitting with the Titleist rep.  He had me hit a couple of wedge shots using my set pitching wedge to start the process.  After that, he had me hit wedges without me looking at what they were so I did not know what the loft, grind or bounce was.  Durning the session we discussed where I play and how I use wedges. When we were all done, he showed me what I had been hitting the best and that is what I ordered.  

I have been told and read in the article to replace wedges after 75 rounds.  My main wedge around the green is my trusty 56 degree.  Since I have been playing about 125 to 150 rounds the plast few years, that would mean I would need to purchase two 56 degree wedges every year.  That's a lot of $$.  After about 100 rounds on my current 56 degree wedge, the height and distance is still good but balls do not stop on a dime.  I have adjusted to the extra roll out and think that I will wait until next year to buy new ones.     

I know, I love that 75 round thing, for someone who is retired or lives in a warm weather climate that's $600 a year.  Right easy for people who get theirs for free or at cost to say, not easy for us normal guys to do.  Plus there's the comfort level that may develop with a certain wedge.

I've just replaced wedges that I had in the bag for 10 years.  I've tried replacing them over the past two years and couldn't find anything that I liked until I went to an agnostic fitting and had a very knowledgeable guy who got me into something that fits my game - not that fits his brand.  

At any rate on the recommendation of guys here I've been using a groove sharpener for my old wedges.  It helps and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than $600 to replace 3 wedges ever other year or so.  I think it was under $20 on Amazon.  

• 4 weeks later...

Great article. I've recently done a wedge fitting and was able to hit some outside. that was a big help for sure. My only challenge was that they only had a few choices (yay lefty's). I often just order a set few wedges with different grinds and shafts and slowly have found more of what I like over the years. It's not easy 

Untitled design-3.png