Birdieball Limited Flight Balls - Unofficial Review

Prodigal Duffer

Apparently I have to use a PC to embed the video. Will be coming at a later date . . .

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

Wow I can't believe you cracked one!?! You must've really been pounding out (literally haha) some work frustrations on them 😝

I have a set of Birdie Balls .. along with the Strike Pad .. and get some good use out of them on nice days in the late Fall or early Spring off my back patio .. but I just use a few different wedges to hula hoop targets set at about maybe like 5, 10 and 15 yards. Great for getting back the feels of different carry distances.

The only damage on mine comes from my oh ever so helpful ball retriever 😂 ....

20221104_153108.jpg.5dbd5d28a9b6d9cd36a4c58b5bb12646.jpg

Oh, PS @Prodigal Duffer - good write up, good info, good review format! Thx

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

43 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Wow I can't believe you cracked one!?! You must've really been pounding out (literally haha) some work frustrations on them 😝

I have a set of Birdie Balls .. along with the Strike Pad .. and get some good use out of them on nice days in the late Fall or early Spring off my back patio .. but I just use a few different wedges to hula hoop targets set at about maybe like 5, 10 and 15 yards. Great for getting back the feels of different carry distances.

Thanks. I like your ball retriever better than mine. What do you like best about the balls? Least?

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Haha thx there used to be two of those big, black, slobbery ball chewing retrievers! (..who would not stay inside while I was out back playing with fun things without them 😂)

Likes: lightweight; durable (for me); good for (short) target practice in that they basically stop where they land.

Dislikes: hard to finesse a shot, eg. short wedge shot with a soft touch .. you pretty much have to hit them solidly enough to make them pop up and fly straight.

Also... Have not tried it but don't think I'd actually like them for full swing work .. but that's just my personal preference (since I got the Birdie Ball setup I've joined a private club that tries to stay open over the winter when the weather cooperates so I can get to the range there to see ball flights).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

A little off topic, but man... that's a b-e-a-utiful backyard!

I, too, enjoy hitting mine around in the evening when the family is chilling on the patio.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

9 hours ago, TSauer said:

A little off topic, but man... that's a b-e-a-utiful backyard!

I, too, enjoy hitting mine around in the evening when the family is chilling on the patio.

Thanks. We moved to this house a couple of years ago, and the yard was a big reason why. 

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

20 hours ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

Birdieball Limited Flight Ball - Unofficial Review

Based on all of these factors, I give the Birdieball limited flight ball 4.5/5 stars.

Great writeup! Really awesome info - and as someone who has their putting mat, it's awesome to see that these things (that bear their namesake) are as fun as they seem to be.  I've been pondering this for a LONG time, but especially now as we go to the park a lot as a family, I always think it would be cool to have a few of these in my pocket to hit around the grassy areas while the kids are going crazy on the slides and monkey bars 🙂

Really appreciate the time you took to put this all down for the forum! 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

@GolfSpy_SAM definitely pick some up. I’ve purchased four dozen since getting my first set 

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Finally learned how to get the video into the thread without a link

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 3 months later...

Great review!  I haven't had the durability issue that you've had, yet.  Or, at least the extent of your durability issues.  I did have an owl try to swoop down and snag a birdie ball one evening.  He was in for a big disappointment.  

I did try to learn how to hit a draw early on with them and that proved to be a mistake for me.  So if I bring them out now it's just for swing mechanics work and hitting the ball straight.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 3 weeks later...

When I moved into my new house in 2016, there were no homes behind me. Also had a golf course view. Note: also! Anyway, I hit birdie balls off my back porch hitting mat until houses showed up after a couple of years. These things are awesome. Prodigal Duffer is right in that they are a pain to pick up. The goal was to hit them as close as possible so that it would minimize steps to pick up. 

The other question is what do they do to a clubhead? I had Callaway steelheads then and there was absolutely no damage to the club. I hit them every day that I didn't actually play. I had a dozen and while they are pretty chewed up, I never cracked one. 

They also make a weird noise. Cool but different. I had people walking the empty lots next to my house from the street to the back of my house to investigate the noise! Fun times.

I give them a 5/5 because they work in a limited space and do show ball flight. While they are a pain to pick up, it's just more steps that we all need every day!

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Updated to include a brief video of me using the Strike Pad on my patio during a rain storm.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review. I was given the birdie balls as a bday gift and for some reason haven't tried them yet. My backyard is too small of an area and just haven't brought them to the park yet. I was not a big fan of the putting mat. Had some cool features w/ slope and the cups but it felt a bit spongy. Ball did roll well. I've since purchased the perfect putting mat and really enjoy the lines for visibility of a straight path, plus the ball return...can just knock them down like free throws. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

20 hours ago, Eltrain41 said:

Thanks for the review. I was given the birdie balls as a bday gift and for some reason haven't tried them yet. My backyard is too small of an area and just haven't brought them to the park yet. I was not a big fan of the putting mat. Had some cool features w/ slope and the cups but it felt a bit spongy. Ball did roll well. I've since purchased the perfect putting mat and really enjoy the lines for visibility of a straight path, plus the ball return...can just knock them down like free throws. 

I was in SoCal last weekend and would have to assume that using the balls in the yard is off the table for just about anyone there. If I had to take my balls somewhere to use them, I would probably use them a lot less. Are you making trips to the range often? If so, then the cost of birdie balls versus range buckets might weigh in their favor.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8