Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

SOLUS GOLF - TOUR REPORT (3-10-10)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Really? I never knew that. So my 60 could actually be a 59 or 61? Weird. Why would the swing weight differ? If they are cast you would think they are all the same. Maybe impure metals?

Absolutely. I found that 2 of my wedges were off by nearly a full degree (both within manufacturer tolerance). It doesn't take much to affect a Swing Weight change. Impurities, the finishing process, shaft, grip...it all comes into play.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Absolutely. I found that 2 of my wedges were off by nearly a full degree (both within manufacturer tolerance). It doesn't take much to affect a Swing Weight change. Impurities, the finishing process, shaft, grip...it all comes into play.

Good to know, good to know.

• SPY VIP

Doe anyone know why they have chosen 59* and 61* for lofts rather than the more traditional 58/60? Does the 1* add anything to versatility, or is it just to set them apart?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Doe anyone know why they have chosen 59* and 61* for lofts rather than the more traditional 58/60? Does the 1* add anything to versatility, or is it just to set them apart?

My guess would to be different, find a niche and claim it. If all the other companies are making 58 and 60s, it sets them apart a bit, and they can market it like that.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

My guess would to be different, find a niche and claim it. If all the other companies are making 58 and 60s, it sets them apart a bit, and they can market it like that.

That would be my speculation too, but it seemed like a minor place to draw the line of distinction. Hopefully, they have a "our research shows" type of statement to back it up.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I've never actually hit a Solus wedge, and because of the infomercials I always thought they were a little gimmicky (although certainly not on par with THE HAMMER). I'm a bit more educated these days, and can't say I've heard one single negative thing about Solus wedges. It certainly looks like a versatile wedge.

Positive reviews and whatnot aside, as the resident spec-checker around here, what impresses me most about Solus is this:

Assembly / Manufacturing Tolerances:

• Length - +/- 1/16 inch +/-

• Loft/Lie - +/- 1/4 degree

• Swing Weight = about D-6 (+/- 1/2 point)

Most manufacturers have tolerances of 1 degree and a full Swing Weight or better. These guys are much tighter across the board. Makes you wonder why other companies can't meet such strict tolerances.

This is really great info. I've been aware of the "normal" tolerances for a while, but I didn't know the Solus had tigher standards. Definitely adds to my opinion of them.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Hey guys. Didn't take pictures but I got to compare the forged and the cast 7.1. The forged has a smaller back bounce.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Hey guys. Didn't take pictures but I got to compare the forged and the cast 7.1. The forged has a smaller back bounce.

I didn't know they made 2 models, good to know. Which did you like better?

The have 4.1(cavity) and 7.1(blade) and now these forged ones. I loved the 4.1s. (Cavity)

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I've never actually hit a Solus wedge, and because of the infomercials I always thought they were a little gimmicky (although certainly not on par with THE HAMMER). I'm a bit more educated these days, and can't say I've heard one single negative thing about Solus wedges. It certainly looks like a versatile wedge.

Positive reviews and whatnot aside, as the resident spec-checker around here, what impresses me most about Solus is this:

Assembly / Manufacturing Tolerances:

• Length - +/- 1/16 inch +/-

• Loft/Lie - +/- 1/4 degree

• Swing Weight = about D-6 (+/- 1/2 point)

Most manufacturers have tolerances of 1 degree and a full Swing Weight or better. These guys are much tighter across the board. Makes you wonder why other companies can't meet such strict tolerances.

I could have made this very same post. The exact same thoughts I've had. Infomercials are kind of an odd bird for me -- sometimes they help a product, and sometimes they just cheapen one.

Archived