Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

JumboMax JMX Ultralite Grips Review

DannyDarts

I looked around the forum and didn’t see any reviews or mentions of this product so I figure I will take the time to share my experience thus far.

I switched all my grips to JumboMax JMX ultralight grips. I did this for a few reasons. The most pressing reason was a recent bout of tennis elbow that I knew had come on due to me gripping the club too firmly as well as doing speed training. I was gripping the clubs so firmly because I could still feel the grip moving around despite using a midsize grip. Also, I had a tendency to pull all my shots. I was getting a little handsy and closing my club face through impact. Bad miss was a snap hook. I knew larger grips would prevent this. I played five rounds with these grips and was about to give up. Started to believe I made a dumb decision and wasted $200. Went as far as buying new grips to replace them.

Decided to play a few more rounds since I spent what I did on them and was very glad that I did. I have seen a 15 yard increase in my total distance, no longer suffering from tennis elbow and no longer pulling shots. I do strongly believe it takes time to adjust to these larger grips. I think if you are a club golfer playing frequently, it’s not as big of a deal as someone playing a handful of rounds a year. At this point, I’m four months in and I strongly recommend giving this product a try if you are suffering from some of the problems I mentioned. Swing weight is great because the grips way less than a standard midsize grip. Now flushing all my clubs, accurately.

Danny Darts

I bought two of these to try a couple of years ago.  I didn't mind it on the driver, but I threw one on my 9 iron and absolutley hated it.  It really seemed to changed the feel of my irons which I was not a fan of.  Granted, I did not give them much of a chance.  I still have them, maybe I should give them another go this offseason as the snap hook left is definitely my miss.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Just now, Parshooter36 said:

I bought two of these to try a couple of years ago.  I didn't mind it on the driver, but I threw one on my 9 iron and absolutley hated it.  It really seemed to changed the feel of my irons which I was not a fan of.  Granted, I did not give them much of a chance.  I still have them, maybe I should give them another go this offseason as the snap hook left is definitely my miss.

A couple things that helped me. Since these grips naturally make you squeeze the grip with less pressure, it feels like you are barely swinging while still swinging your same speed. So I focused on tempo. I had issues bringing these grips as far back as my previous ones but have since gone to a “stronger” grip and this has allowed me to bring the club back further. They probably aren’t for everyone but I knew my grip or lack there of was causing me to lose control in my transition. These grips have solved that for me. I have them on every club except my wedges. I’m using a jumbo Sonar Lamkin grip on those. My wedge play has gotten really good and didn’t want to mess that up.

Good luck!

Danny Darts

Danny, I am an old guy, 71, with some large hands and lots of arthritis that discovered these grips a while ago. My first grips tried from Jumbo Max were the Ultralights. Like you,  my first early reviews were terrible. I did buy several single sizes to see which one I would like the best and settled on the XS. I found that the grips will slip when a little wet, even from sweat. It was so bad that I switched back to my Golf Pride CP2 Jumbos after 4 rounds. The extra size seemed to make me handy also.  I wrote this off as a bad investment and an experiment that didn’t work.  A few years later after Jumbo Max came out with the JMX Zen Lite and my hands and ability to practice wasn’t getting any better, I decided to give them another go. Here I settled on the small size which is slightly larger than the CP2 Jumbo’s I have been using for years, but almost half the weight. I am happy to say that I have found a winner for me. Though the grips felt a little strange at first, because it has 2 seams on the sides of the grip, instead of one on the underside of the grip as many grips do, including the JMX Ultralight and Tour series. They are a little on the firm side, but they have helped my practice time and I’ve seen an overall improvement in all aspects of my game, except my putting. But that’s a story for another day meant for the YIPS-Challenged. Overall I say that these are definitely worth a try and while they may not help everyone, I really think they are worth a shot. 

2 hours ago, Delaware Joe said:

Danny, I am an old guy, 71, with some large hands and lots of arthritis that discovered these grips a while ago. My first grips tried from Jumbo Max were the Ultralights. Like you,  my first early reviews were terrible. I did buy several single sizes to see which one I would like the best and settled on the XS. I found that the grips will slip when a little wet, even from sweat. It was so bad that I switched back to my Golf Pride CP2 Jumbos after 4 rounds. The extra size seemed to make me handy also.  I wrote this off as a bad investment and an experiment that didn’t work.  A few years later after Jumbo Max came out with the JMX Zen Lite and my hands and ability to practice wasn’t getting any better, I decided to give them another go. Here I settled on the small size which is slightly larger than the CP2 Jumbo’s I have been using for years, but almost half the weight. I am happy to say that I have found a winner for me. Though the grips felt a little strange at first, because it has 2 seams on the sides of the grip, instead of one on the underside of the grip as many grips do, including the JMX Ultralight and Tour series. They are a little on the firm side, but they have helped my practice time and I’ve seen an overall improvement in all aspects of my game, except my putting. But that’s a story for another day meant for the YIPS-Challenged. Overall I say that these are definitely worth a try and while they may not help everyone, I really think they are worth a shot. 

I have never heard of the JMX Zen Lite grips, I'll have to check them out. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

• 3 months later...

I've been experimenting with jumbomax grips the last couple of months. I've tried Zen Lite small and XS on my driver. Both are great but think I've settled on the small. Trying these three on fairway woods and irons over winter. Fitting all the clubs in the bag might be a challenge with all being oversize though. Ha ha. Tight fit with a mix of midsize, jumbo, a jumbomax S and putter. Ha ha

IMG_3300.jpeg

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

• 1 month later...

Danny - Thanks for your review of JumboMax grips! I have decided to switch to these grips and will be using the Ultra Lite XS on all of my clubs. Among my reasons is that my hands are slightly arthritic and, like you, I tend to pull a lot of shots (slicing has never been my problem, LOL) and I'm hoping that larger grips will help me to be less handsy.  

Another significant reason that I'm making the switch to larger grips is that I've decided to move to a single plane swing and I've found that everyone who teaches this method, and most who use it, recommend larger grips.  Last week I got some range time in Golf Galaxy to try full swing SPS and it felt like the standard grips were moving around in my hands, so I think the recommendation is sound. The grips came yesterday so I plan to have them installed early next week. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

• 2 months later...

If anyone uses these, can you take a moment and measure the circumference at the butt end (preferably on the SM or Med size) and report it.  If you don't have a flexible tape measure for fabrics you can take a piece of paper or string and wrap it then use a ruler to measure.