How far do amateur males hit their driver?

Javs

Interesting article. I cannot argue, but would ask a question on "average," are we talking performance average or overall average the two are different. My last 3 years using Shot Scope show >250 "average" and >270 "performance average" which pulls the chucked shots and serious outliers out of the equation.

I fall in the 50+ age group, floating in the 4-7 handicap range.

I don't think they are "wrong," we have all (or at least many of us) seen the articles and testing that show that amateurs over estimate driver distance. I know I am sometimes...optimistic ...when choosing clubs.

Good find.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

2 hours ago, Javs said:

... Thankfully I am about 40yds longer than average for my age. A very interesting stat is fairways hit. 70-79 averages 60% for 1-5 index and 20-29 averages 43%. I had this discussion with my pards yesterday. Hitting the ball on the exactt same line to the left edge of the fairway the 81 yr old in our group is in the fairway at around 190-200yds. I am in the rough and possible trouble on that same one at around 240-250. The youngest at 36yrs old in our group is definitely in the desert and big trouble on the same line driving the ball around 270-280. So it isn't really a huge surprise that older players hit more fairways. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

3 hours ago, Javs said:

Although I have gradually been losing distance with all of my clubs, I guess that I should consider myself extremely lucky. At age 74, I am a full 53 yards longer than the “average” 70-79 year old male golfer with a 10-14 handicap.

Due to injuries, illness, and a lengthy period of no golf while recovering from a very bad infection and months-long hospitalization in late 2020 and early 2021, my driving distance average dropped to just over 235 yards (carry + roll) at age 72-73. However, thanks to an aggressive fitness and flexibility program that I adhere to religiously, plus dropping about 20-25 pounds, I have gotten my driving distance average up to 246-247 yards this year (validated on three different launch monitors). I still occasionally pop one out to 260-275 yards with my driver when I catch it just right and maybe have a bit of a tailwind or a slightly downhill fairway working for me.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

37 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Although I have gradually been losing distance with all of my clubs, I guess that I should consider myself extremely lucky. At age 74, I am a full 53 yards longer than the “average” 70-79 year old male golfer with a 10-14 handicap.

Due to injuries, illness, and a lengthy period of no golf while recovering from a very bad infection and months-long hospitalization in late 2020 and early 2021, my driving distance average dropped to just over 235 yards (carry + roll) at age 72-73. However, thanks to an aggressive fitness and flexibility program that I adhere to religiously, plus dropping about 20-25 pounds, I have gotten my driving distance average up to 246-247 yards this year (validated on three different launch monitors). I still occasionally pop one out to 260-275 yards with my driver when I catch it just right and maybe have a bit of a tailwind or a slightly downhill fairway working for me.

That is still very impressive for 54 or 74! You are still putting it out there!!

Play like a champion today!

3 hours ago, Javs said:

That is still very impressive for 54 or 74! You are still putting it out there!!

I really do work hard on keeping fit and specifically on flexibility for golf (and other things).

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

32 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I really do work hard on keeping fit and specifically on flexibility for golf (and other things).

That is great and it pays off. I go to the gym six days a week. I also stretch everyday. When I was a kid and a caddie at a local country and an older member taught me a lesson. I caddied for this guy who was in his 70’s and he still moved the ball as good as any younger member. I asked him his secret. He told me to stretch everyday. I was always an athlete, but back then we didn’t stretch like we should. Listening to him and seeing the results made me incorporate stretching. 

Play like a champion today!

According to the table, I am right on the average for golfers of my age and handicap range. The interesting thing to me in terms of my game, is how little my scores vary with different weather conditions. We have been in a drought for months and our fairways are hard and fast. As a result, I have hit a number of tee shots in the 250 to 260 range during the drought. In the winter, when the course is soft, most of my drives are around 200 to 210 yards. Yet my scores stay pretty much the same year round. 

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I guess as I am closing in on 71, hitting it consistantly between 215 and 225 is pretty good for my age and handicap.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)