Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Project X LZ shaft 6.0 equivalent

I play an old Callaway XR 9.0 degree driver and hit it really well...in particilar i love the feel/load of the shaft.

Does anyone know if there is a shaft today that has similar characteristics to the Project X LZ 6.0?

Are you buying a new driver? The option of keeping the same shaft is possible!

Stay within the project X family. They now how Lz versions but in iron shafts.

RDX Smoke Red or Blue could be possible options (I'm a big fan of the blue personally). 

It is also possible with a different head there will be different feels or similar feels with the same shaft profile. If possible be sure to test and bring your driver in to compare!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I am a HUGE fan of Project X and have played the LZ shaft for years up until my old PXG irons. I am now in the Project X IO shafts in my New Level irons. I am still getting used to them. I like them, and I like the lower ball flight. But I love the LZ! The verdict is still out on the IOs, but I wanted to try them and am ready to change to the LZs if needed. Right now I am leaning on keeping the IOs. We will see after the Mesquite week in March. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

Great to hear they're are other fans of the project x lz. I do want to buy a new driver as I assume that the new tech could add some distance. Last year I bought the TSi2 driver with a hzdus shaft but I really struggled with it, so I eventually gave up and went back to my Callaway XR with the project X shaft.

Based on what I know from the LZ irons shafts it's supposed to be a good feeling shaft, which usually translates to "feel" or "not-as-stiff" in the handle.  The Iron shaft in particular has a softer mid to enhance feel.  Also given you struggled with the HZRDUS line I'd suggest trying out the "blue" profile shafts when you demo... something like a Tensei Blue, Ventus Blue, etc.

While not standard, blue seems to be the color of choice for middle of the road in stiffness vs feel.  White profiles tend to add some tip stability while maintaining or even softening the handle section.

HZRDUS line will most closely link to "black" profiles where the handle is stiff for aggressive swingers.  They don't agree with me either.

Best thing to do is go to a shop and try out what you can to get an idea, then go for a fitting once you're ready to make a purchase.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Potentially Modus shafts? I know my 120 stiffs seem to feel softer than other stiff steel shafts.

Edit: Oops nvm, probably don’t want a steel shafted driver 😅

Edited by BallsLeon
  • Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

2 minutes ago, BallsLeon said:

Potentially Modus shafts? I know my 120 stiffs seem to feel softer than other stiff steel shafts.

Edit: Oops nvm, probably don’t want a steel shafted driver 😅

I'd be lying if I didn't see Project X LZ and come here to say Modus 120x. haha  Now that would make for an interesting driver setup! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Opening a can o worms.  I am far from expert, but I always have to hit balls to decide.  So many shafts, yet I feel great with one and not great with 6 others, and I can't predict what brand or model.  Although I am on my 2nd set of irons with UST Recoil F3 flex.  The 2nd set is a newer model of the Recoil though.  Both times it felt like melted butter.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

3 minutes ago, jeetz said:

@GolfSpy BOS this is brilliant advice. I has the Hzdrous Black shaft and it felt so stiff and boardy.....I will definitely check out the "BLUE" families 

No worries.  As some others have mentioned, company to company you'll find differences, but in the big picture the "Blue" tends to be the middle ground.  Then you can work from there.  It's not perfect, but it's a start! 

There isn’t a wood shaft similar to the PX LZ.

Some counterbalanced options that might work are the px hzrdus rdx blue, tensei orange. Some higher balance point shafts would be Aldila rogue.

If you don’t want something this is as stiff and stout as the hzrdus black then there are lots of blue profile options from graphite design, tensei raw blue, Diamana tb.

the best bet if you are planning to get a new driver is to find a reputable fitter and let them get you on the right head including loft and shaft

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Some counterbalanced options that might work are the px hzrdus rdx blue, tensei orange. Some higher balance point shafts would be Aldila rogue.

If you don’t want something this is as stiff and stout as the hzrdus black then there are lots of blue profile options from graphite design, tensei raw blue, Diamana tb.

the best bet if you are planning to get a new driver is to find a reputable fitter and let them get you on the right head including loft and shaft

I really like the Aldila shaft too. The old green shaft was great for me, but since I moved on to the Steadfast Jupiter and now am trying the Newton shafts for drivers/woods, I haven't really been into big manufacture's shafts. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I believe the XR stock offering was a made for version of the LZ Blue (lighter, softer, higher torque), so not really sure what would be similar (definitely not anything from the HZRDUS line).

Either way, 100% agree that getting fit is better than trying to find something similar to a shaft that may not even be an optimal fit now. 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

On 2/7/2024 at 11:48 AM, GolfSpy BOS said:

HZRDUS line will most closely link to "black" profiles where the handle is stiff for aggressive swingers.  They don't agree with me either.

I've become a fan of the HZRDUS Black 6.0 Driver Shaft. I thought it would be too stiff, but turns out it's the best driver shaft I've played.  
Haven't tried the LZ shafts, but used to play Project X 6.0 iron shafts and really liked them.  Then was fitted for Elevate Shafts, did not like them.  Latest fitting was AMT Black iron shafts in T200's, over the LZ shaft.  I was suspect of the AMT Black after the Elevate, but I like the feel. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0