Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Face balanced and contour balanced putters

Christof

Good day

Is there a difference between face balanced and contour balanced putters? or is the difference only with contour balanced that the shaft is in the middle?

Greetings
Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

25 minutes ago, Christof said:

Good day

Is there a difference between face balanced and contour balanced putters? or is the difference only with contour balanced that the shaft is in the middle?

Never heard of countour balanced; there was a company called contour putters pre 2010.     Face balanced is simply a measure of toe hang where the face points to the sky when the putter is balanced on its balance point.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

32 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Never heard of countour balanced; there was a company called contour putters pre 2010.     Face balanced is simply a measure of toe hang where the face points to the sky when the putter is balanced on its balance point.  

I wrote it wrong, I mean Counterbalance.

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

Just now, Christof said:

I wrote it wrong, I mean Counterbalance.

a counterbalanced putter is where you add additional weight to the butt end of the club.  It has nothing to do with toe hang/face balance.   A putter can be counterbalanced by replacing the grip with  heavier grip,  using an add on weight like tour lock, or the grip weights in a superstroke grip.  Sometimes players will even extend the overall length of the putter by a few inches, but that isn't required to counterbalance a putter.  

Generalizing, counter balancing will make the head feel lighter and part of the marketing is that it will improve your stroke. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

a counterbalanced putter is where you add additional weight to the butt end of the club.  It has nothing to do with toe hang/face balance.   A putter can be counterbalanced by replacing the grip with  heavier grip,  using an add on weight like tour lock, or the grip weights in a superstroke grip.  Sometimes players will even extend the overall length of the putter by a few inches, but that isn't required to counterbalance a putter.  

Generalizing, counter balancing will make the head feel lighter and part of the marketing is that it will improve your stroke. 

yes I was on the internet looking at putters came out at Wilson the INFINITE SOUTH SIDE PUTTER, I have been googling behind counterbalanced putter meaning, not really clear to me, I thought had to do with the shaft in the middle. I did read what you say, When I went to compare with the INFINITE SOUTH SIDE PUTTER not clear to me, but understand it a bit better, wilson uses a heavier grip. But install another grip that is lighter then the counterbalanced effect is gone.

31 minutes ago, Christof said:

yes I was on the internet looking at putters came out at Wilson the INFINITE SOUTH SIDE PUTTER, I have been googling behind counterbalanced putter meaning, not really clear to me, I thought had to do with the shaft in the middle. I did read what you say, When I went to compare with the INFINITE SOUTH SIDE PUTTER not clear to me, but understand it a bit better, wilson uses a heavier grip. But install another grip that is lighter then the counterbalanced effect is gone.

Nope,  nothing to do with a putter being center shafted.  A center shafted putter can be "traditional" or counter balanced just like a plumbers neck can be either.  

Per the website with the putter you mentioned:  

Oversized, 104-gram grip moves the balance point closer to the hands for a smoother, more controlled putting stroke

There isn't an industry standard on what is considered a normal weight grip nor what is considered counterbalanced.  But if you put a lighter grip on the putter you reduce the counterbalance by lowering the balance point.  Put a butt weight or a heavier grip you add more counterbalance and move the balance point higher.     

On 2/19/2024 at 11:50 PM, cnosil said:

Nope,  nothing to do with a putter being center shafted.  A center shafted putter can be "traditional" or counter balanced just like a plumbers neck can be either.  

Per the website with the putter you mentioned:  

Oversized, 104-gram grip moves the balance point closer to the hands for a smoother, more controlled putting stroke

There isn't an industry standard on what is considered a normal weight grip nor what is considered counterbalanced.  But if you put a lighter grip on the putter you reduce the counterbalance by lowering the balance point.  Put a butt weight or a heavier grip you add more counterbalance and move the balance point higher.     

Hey Consil

Okay that's well explained.

Thanks
Christof