Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ping Glide 4.0 Grind Options explaination?

SRobles512

Hello, pretty new to golf and I’ve been using the PW & SW that I bought with my Ping G2s last year but I would like to get some wedges. I’m a Ping fan and I was looking at the Glide 4.0s but I’m confused on the grind options, probably because I don’t understand all the terms associated with them. Can somebody explain to me like I’m 5 what the differences are? TIA

There are 4 options:

S- Trail edge/heel relief, Ample bounce, Rounded lead edge, Fits most golfers.

W- Traditional full-sole design, Most forgiving through the turf, Rounded lead edge, Optimized for square-face and bunker shots.

T- High lead-edge bounce, Half-moon sole shaping, Increased center bounce width.

E- High toe, Improved lead-edge shaping, Dished sole and tapered hosel for bunker performance

First don't beat yourself up bounce and grind on wedges can get complex and there is not really a correlation between the two. You can have a high bounce wedge with a narrow sole and a low bounce wedge with a wide sole and more.

So bounce is the angle of the wedge as it relates to the leading edge. Essentially the more bounce the more the club with tend to skip/glide through the turf versus lower bounce tends to dig in more. Generally golfers find more bounce to be easier to use and offers a bit more forgiveness if you don't hit the ball clean the lack of digging will keep the strike solid.

The grind is about how the sole of the club is shaped. I have the the S, W, and T grinds in my 3 PING Glide 4.0 wedges. the S grind is what they call a standard sole. It is about the same width all the way through and a medium width overall. Good for more straight face shots but can be opened a bit. the W is it might imply wide, again its a pretty consistent width just wider than the S with more bounce. Again will be good for straight face shots. Finally, for the ones I have is the T, the thin sole. The sole is thinner and have a bit of heel and toe relief which means the flat part of the sole is thinner at the heel and toe. This makes it easier to open the club up if you want to hit more a flop from a tighter lie. This also has the lowest bounce. The E I don't have but its modeled as the PING Eye 2 wedge. Near the hosel the wedge is thin to slide through sand easier, there is a very high toe to the club and the sole actually has an indent to it for turf interaction.

So there are a lot of options here and there are other things to consider. Generally in wet conditions more bounce helps you from digging into the softer turf, and in dry firm conditions you want less bounce so you can actually dig in a bit. Also how you deliver the club changes the bounce. If you lean the shaft forward you are taking off loft and bounce, and then adding loft and bounce if you lean the shaft back.

PING has the Wedge fit tool that can help that will recommend their new wedges but you should see the same options in the Glide 4.0.

https://wedge.webfit.ping.com/en/

Also here is a quick write up on bounce from Vokey,

https://www.vokey.com/explained/wedge-bounce#

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3