Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

hi there from south africa

hi all

i recently stumbled across mygolfspy, and have since been visiting nearly every day going through reviews and forum posts.

i have played golf for about 15 years, but have only this year started to take it more seriously. i am now in about week 8 of lessons with a pro, and have seen big improvements. there is still a fair amount of work left, though.

mostly my putting seems to be skewing my scores quite badly, and i joined the forum because i have a question about some putting training aids. look out for it elsewhere.

anyway, i look forward to becoming a more active member of the mygolfspy site and forum.

happy golfing

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

Welcome aboard.

My best putting advice is to put your putter in your trunk and go to the putting green and putt as close to daily as is possible given your job situation. My favorite drill is the simple one of setting 3 balls in a three foot semi circle around the cup, holing, them, moving to the next semi circle and the next until you've holed 9 in a row, then make it 3 and a half feet and so on and so forth - you get to where you can say to yourelf on the course, "I've made thousands of these on the putting green." and you have something going. For speed (touch) find a hilly spot on the putting green - set up tees about 30 feet apart - putt two balls back and forth down hill and uphill until you can get both to go 1 to 2 feet past the tees. Another good speed (touch) drill is to get about 20 feet onto the green and try to putt the ball just into the fringe.

Those are some of my favorites - I have tons more once you get comfortable with those - For me putting, like scotch has been an aquired taste. I certainly wasn't born with it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Welcome aboard....putting has been my nemesis lately too.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Welcome aboard. Where in South Africa are you from? My wife is a Durbinite, as my mother-in-law says.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Welcome to the forum! Just a quick thing about putting. Mine was very inconsistent, and then I stumbled onto Phil Mickelson's Secrets of the Short Game DVD. Besides dramatically improving my pitches and chips, my putting is better than ever. His philosophy, tools, and drills has made me average less than 2 putts per hole this season. Just something to keep your eye out for.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

hi guys

thanks for all the welcome wishes, and the great advice.

thanks for the drills revkev, i'll give them a shot. those drills have already made it worthwhile joining the forum.

tried the old 100 ball drill for the first time over the weekend, and only got to 13. lots of work to do!

i must just find the best practice green in my area, the one closest to home leaves alot to be desired. with it being winter over here, most greens aren't in the best shape at the moment.

will also try to get a hold of FIGJAM's dvd. have read a few good things about it.

RoverRick, i am from pretoria, which is inland. Right next to Johannesburg, which you might be more familiar with.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

You're welcome sparnar - what's your winter weather like? I live in Florida so our winters are incredible - usually dry and mild - we have a rough patch in early November when they turn many of our courses around to winter grasses by overseeding with Rye grass but other than that they are in great shape again until the greens get aeorated in April.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Right next to Johannesburg, which you might be more familiar with.

Thats where Dave Matthews is from! Haha sorry, I had to chime in when I saw Johannesburg. I'm a HUGE Dave fan.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

You're welcome sparnar - what's your winter weather like? I live in Florida so our winters are incredible - usually dry and mild - we have a rough patch in early November when they turn many of our courses around to winter grasses by overseeding with Rye grass but other than that they are in great shape again until the greens get aeorated in April.

we really can't complain about our winters. this weekend we had sunshine and the temperature was around 21/21 degrees celsius (around 70 fahrehnheit, i think). so we can still play without any issues. last weekend we teed off around 7am, and although it was a little chilly, it wasn't uncomfortable.

since i've been reading forum posts, i've seen that large parts of the US pretty much doesn't really allow winter golfing because of the winter. i can't imagine what that would be like. must get severe withdrawal symptoms.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

since i've been reading forum posts, i've seen that large parts of the US pretty much doesn't really allow winter golfing because of the winter. i can't imagine what that would be like. must get severe withdrawal symptoms.

You have no idea. I dread winters. Even when there's no snow it easily gets cold enough to shatter a wood.

I lived most of my life in a Northern climate - I loved the seasons but hated not being able to play golf when there was snow on the ground - I never used to mind playing in the cold but snow made things unplayable. Where I lived in Wisconsin was way, way too extreme for me - Sheboygan, right on the lake, there were years when Father's day was opening day of the golf season and the first or second week of November was the end of it.

Too bad Wisconsin is a great place to live other than that weather. I think that inland isn't so bad - Madison that area.

The economy has made it so that I'm stuck in Florida for life. Plus I've only scratched the surface on what needs to be accomplished at my church so there's plenty to do life's work wise for me. That's fine - I can take a few months of extreme heat in exchange for the balmy winters and incredible springs. The mountains are about 8 hours from here if I want to see the fall follage.

Other than this bout of pneumonia life is really good. And the pneumonia will pass.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That is just the people who do not have enough sense to like in the good parts of the US. Where I live I play golf year round, although it is cold sometimes. My course may have been closed because of weather for 3 days the whole day. They closed early several times because weather but as far as not even showing up it was not often.

My wife informs me that Durban is hotter in winter and summer than Pertoria. She says the it is hotter here in Texas in summer for longer, and it is colder in winter longer that it is in Pertoria. But here, we rarely have 7 bad days of weather in a row, in winter. It may be bad for 3 or 4 days, then we have a 50* F (10* C)

That is just the people who do not have enough sense to like in the good parts of the US. Where I live I play golf year round, although it is cold sometimes. My course may have been closed because of weather for 3 days the whole day. They closed early several times because weather but as far as not even showing up it was not often.

My wife informs me that Durban is hotter in winter and summer than Pertoria. She says the it is hotter here in Texas in summer for longer, and it is colder in winter longer that it is in Pertoria. But here, we rarely have 7 bad days of weather in a row, in winter. It may be bad for 3 or 4 days, then we have a 50* F (10* C)

your wife is right about durban. it is very humid down there, so when it is over 30 deg celsius, it can get a little uncomfortable. i imagine you'd have to take in a lot of fluids when golfing there in summer. winter time in pretoria\johannesburg (and the highveld area) can be quite cold, and we get the odd week with temperatures below 0 deg celsius. but during the day time, it can be anything between 5/6 degrees celsius, and 22 deg celsius, depending on whether it snowed on the drakensberg mountains.

if any of you guys ever come to SA, let me know and I'll try to arrange a golf outing. would be awesome to meet the people behind the screen names.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

We are supposed to come over next Summer (your summer) but things are still up in the air. I am supposed to go to Bulgaria the second week of July and still no word on that. And that is next week so the longer that is delayed the longer everything else is delayed.

We are supposed to come over next Summer (your summer) but things are still up in the air. I am supposed to go to Bulgaria the second week of July and still no word on that. And that is next week so the longer that is delayed the longer everything else is delayed.

well, make sure to let me know if you do come next year. by that time i am hoping that my golf will be in much better shape, and that i'll be taking alot less than 43 putts to get around the course!

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

i recently stumbled across mygolfspy, and have since been visiting nearly every day going through reviews and forum posts.

i have played golf for about 15 years, but have only this year started to take it more seriously. i am now in about week 8 of lessons with a pro, and have seen big improvements. there is still a fair amount of work left, though.

mostly my putting seems to be skewing my scores quite badly, and i joined the forum because i have a question about some putting training aids. look out for it elsewhere.

anyway, i look forward to becoming a more active member of the mygolfspy site and forum.

happy golfing

Welcome to the Forum!! Cheers!

Golf Circuit

James, Golf Circuit Resident PGA Pro

MGS_logo_default.jpg

Archived