Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Charleston Golf trip - April 2024

IMG_2036.jpeg.acec991dd3e33b135554ef71bdc2faae.jpegSo I recently just returned from my first golf trip. I turn 43 next month, and yes, I am sad to report, this IS my first golf trip with the boys!  My golf buddy won Masters practice round tickets from the ticket lottery for Tuesday’s Practice Round and we decided to home-base in Charleston and build a trip around our first Masters experience. 

I read a lot of reviews, looked at a lot of courses and knew that I wanted to have a mix of local, public courses along with some more memorable, resort course options. 
I landed on starting our trip at the Golf Club at Wescott Plantation in Summerville, where we were met with 46° temps on our walk up the deck at 7am on Saturday the 6th. This was a great track. They have 27 holes and we were assigned to play Black Robin and Oak Forest. It was a beautiful day and a nice opening round on what would be a 36-hole Saturday.

Later that afternoon we headed over to Goose Creek and played another public course called Crowfield Golf Club. The greens here were very challenging with multiple levels and tough pin placements. Coming from South Florida we do not have a lot of experience with firm greens and right away we realized our approach shots were not holding greens. This took some time to get used to but we quickly learned to leave a little extra room in front of the flag for our wedge and iron shots. In fact all 36 holes for Saturday were tough putts- all greens rolled fast and true. 

Sunday was our resort day and our expectations were not only met, but were exceeded. We pointed our car in the direction of Isle of Palms and checked into the Wild Dunes Harbor course. Our first taste of a Tom Fazio-designed course. The yardage seemed short but we realized it was a par 70. This is the first course I was invited to join a “briefing” by the starter who pointed out that this course is narrow and requires well-placed tee shots. My decision was to lean towards 3 wood tee shots a lot of the narrow fairways or dogleg lefts. This place turned out to be an incredibly beautiful course with views of the waterways, marshes and incredible homes along every hole. This was by far my most memorable and breath-taking course I’ve played and will gladly return to. 

The final course was Monday afternoon at the Links at Stono Ferry. Revolutionary War relics were on display in the traditional clubhouse. Tall pines and a tight fairway welcomed us to the first tee box. As I mentioned before, theme of this trip were fast greens and Stono Ferry followed suit. These were the hardest ones to get right. Firm and fast greens allowed for many attempts to sink a hero shot, which we lacked most of the time. Among all of the choices we had to plan our first golf trip around, we were all thoroughly pleased with these four courses.

My friends and I will return to Charleston again and will have another tough choice ahead of us.
Most certainly, Dunes West will be on the top of the list! I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for our next trip to the Holy City. 

IMG_2046.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_2140.jpeg

IMG_2108.jpeg

IMG_2085.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

Edited by Tatabasco
Photo orientation

Callaway Epic driver, 3W, hybrid

Taylormade Speedblades 3-PW

Cleveland 52°. 58°

Wow looks like a great trip!

Thanks for sharing and glad you were able to get on this trip. You're not alone either, this next trip I have coming up to the US will technically be my first guys golfing trip that I have done. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I live here in Charleston. Sounds like yall had a great trip and hit a good few spots. Stono Ferry is a great one near the water for the money. I live in Dunes West and love playing my neighborhood course. Fortunately you are also near Kiawah if you wanted to 'splurge' and play some super nice courses. Obviously the Ocean Course is out there and that'll set you back but Osprey is amazing, Cougar point, turtle point. Ideally if you come around January the prices are great and sometimes you can snag golf/condo package prices which are exceptional.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I visited Charleston two years ago, found it amazing.  I took my clubs, and just played one round at a course I had played before in Santee SC, on the drive down.  Clearly I should have looked a little closer, and looked for a course right around the city.  Looks Like Great Courses.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV