Titleist 2023 T Series Irons Issue! Pictures...

I purchased a new set of the T200 irons and have encountered a problem which seems to be a larger issue than Titleist are making out. The backing plates used to cover the back of the club heads are made from what seems to be a very cheap plastic and simply glued on. Myself and others have found that these plates fall out after only months of usage, not to mention the finish comes off very easily illustrating the poor material used in the covers. Please see the pictures I have attached of my clubs which demonstrates this. Titleist confirmed they know nothing of this issue and that their procedure for people experiencing this problem would be to simple glue it back on. I feel this is unacceptable and not sustainable long term. I mean, how long can cheap plastic stay glued to metal which is constantly exposed to shockwaves plus different temperatures and weather? Not to mention the hideous look these clubs have after only months of usage due to the cheap plastic losing it's finish. It is important that people see the full picture before parting with thousands of pounds of their hard earned cash and I feel my experience will enhance that. I will add to this that I feel the playing performance of the clubs is excellent so no problems there. This does change slightly when the plastic backing plates come off though, as the sound when hitting a shot is very loud but in a bad way.

AF1QipOWviOw4xwLk9QqrTR-q-67RjNEZ5pkYz03AF1QipO4EXyFdXL8UEtIj8BWZXqBrOsH5CBlUaY4

@ole gray experienced the same with his T350 irons. Titleist made it right so please don’t accept the “just glue it back on.”

Did you purchase from Titleist direct or through a retailer?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

55 minutes ago, bens197 said:

@ole gray experienced the same with his T350 irons. Titleist made it right so please don’t accept the “just glue it back on.”

Did you purchase from Titleist direct or through a retailer?

How exactly did they make it right?? I bought it through one of the larger golf retailers. 

10 minutes ago, infinatejest87 said:

How exactly did they make it right?? I bought it through one of the larger golf retailers. 

He’ll chime in and share his experience. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

This has been a very common issue as of lately it seems. Late Last August I received my T-350's, beautiful looking clubs very long and forgiving. Well on another site these topics began to pop up, one after another. I thought maybe it was some fan boys of another brand who just wanted to bash Titleist. I pretty much feel bad for those that it happened too and really don't have the words to say as I sold mine after 2 months of playing them. I had Mizuno's JPX HMP 923's which I wish I would have never sold them for the T-350's as I had to wait a month without any irons before the T-350 finally arrived. You see I'm not like everyone else who has a back up set and I wasn't going to take the chance of having one of my back plates come off and wait for Titleist to fix the issue. Now I never had a single problem with mine but I hear how people are waiting several weeks to get their irons fixed or have a new set sent to them. I couldn't believe this was happening as I'm glad to go back to a brand that I have trusted for many years and glad I never had the issues that most are experiencing. I do wonder how the person who bought my T-350's are getting along with them as I have no way of finding this out. I also wonder if the person who was in charge of quality control still has a job with Titleist as I will forever look the other way when considering new irons in the future. Titleist should have stopped at the T-100's and T-150's as those I'm sure have been selling very well. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G430 Max 10 w/ VA Composites Slay 55

3W: :cobra-small: Darkspeed Max w/UST Mamiya LIN-Q-M40X Red

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60 

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

3 hours ago, RangerGrey said:

This has been a very common issue as of lately it seems. Late Last August I received my T-350's, beautiful looking clubs very long and forgiving. Well on another site these topics began to pop up, one after another. I thought maybe it was some fan boys of another brand who just wanted to bash Titleist. I pretty much feel bad for those that it happened too and really don't have the words to say as I sold mine after 2 months of playing them. I had Mizuno's JPX HMP 923's which I wish I would have never sold them for the T-350's as I had to wait a month without any irons before the T-350 finally arrived. You see I'm not like everyone else who has a back up set and I wasn't going to take the chance of having one of my back plates come off and wait for Titleist to fix the issue. Now I never had a single problem with mine but I hear how people are waiting several weeks to get their irons fixed or have a new set sent to them. I couldn't believe this was happening as I'm glad to go back to a brand that I have trusted for many years and glad I never had the issues that most are experiencing. I do wonder how the person who bought my T-350's are getting along with them as I have no way of finding this out. I also wonder if the person who was in charge of quality control still has a job with Titleist as I will forever look the other way when considering new irons in the future. Titleist should have stopped at the T-100's and T-150's as those I'm sure have been selling very well. 

Thank you for that detailed response. I totally hear what you are saying. When I got fitted for these clubs I was so happy with everything, the looks, the performance but it never crossed my mind that after just a few months bits would start falling off them! I don’t feel confident ever using this particular model again as I don’t see it as a one off, I can definitely see it happen again further down the line and knowing my luck the warranty will have expired the next time it does. Perhaps I would be better with something like the TM P790’s as I don’t see any bits that could fall off them and they are quite similar clubs. I agree with you on them stopping at T100 and T150. Makes sense

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, infinatejest87 said:

Ok what I was instructed to do was go to a store etc. who sells Titliest products and have them initiate a return for repair order. Dicks was close to me and they sell Titleist so this is where mine were shipped back from. I requested the entire set be checked since it would be possible for another iron in my set could have the same thing happen. As per my local Dicks policy I did have to pay like $30.00 to have them shipped back..  It took three weeks for a brand new set to be shipped back to my home.  

No issue to date however it does have me looking when a shot feels a bit off. 

As for the peeling of the back plate I have not experienced that however I did see that with a Taylormade Stealth HD iron I had. 

Edited by ole gray

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

8 hours ago, ole gray said:

Ok what I was instructed to do was go to a store etc. who sells Titliest products and have them initiate a return for repair order. Dicks was close to me and they sell Titleist so this is where mine were shipped back from. I requested the entire set be checked since it would be possible for another iron in my set could have the same thing happen. As per my local Dicks policy I did have to pay like $30.00 to have them shipped back..  It took three weeks for a brand new set to be shipped back to my home.  

No issue to date however it does have me looking when a shot feels a bit off. 

As for the peeling of the back plate I have not experienced that however I did see that with a Taylormade Stealth HD iron I had. 

While it is good that Titleist sent you a new set, I really just wouldn’t feel comfortable with this. There’s a very good chance it’s going to happen again not to mention how awful they look when they start peeling. As it stands every single one of my set is peeling. I wonder if yours aren’t yet as they are still quite new since replacement? Have you been given a fresh 12 month warranty with the new set? I’m not being funny but I can almost guarantee you’ll end up sending them back at some point for another issue whether it be badges coming off or peeling. 

Not to be dismissive, but what’s your other options other than sending them back for replacement? … do nothing?

Seems like an easy decision to me. Stinks it happened, and as a T200 owner I hope I don’t see a backplate fall off, but you either fix it or ya don’t. 

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (45")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

9 hours ago, infinatejest87 said:

While it is good that Titleist sent you a new set, I really just wouldn’t feel comfortable with this. There’s a very good chance it’s going to happen again not to mention how awful they look when they start peeling. As it stands every single one of my set is peeling. I wonder if yours aren’t yet as they are still quite new since replacement? Have you been given a fresh 12 month warranty with the new set? I’m not being funny but I can almost guarantee you’ll end up sending them back at some point for another issue whether it be badges coming off or peeling. 

WOW that's interesting that your entire set started peeling!  I will say it's not just Titleist with the peeling issue as I found a pic of a 5 iron in my previous set of Taylormade HD irons that had the same issue. 

TMHD5iron.jpg.dd61aee940a2bac2a1f65ec24d4b89c7.jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

4 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

Not to be dismissive, but what’s your other options other than sending them back for replacement? … do nothing?

Seems like an easy decision to me. Stinks it happened, and as a T200 owner I hope I don’t see a backplate fall off, but you either fix it or ya don’t. 

It’s more a wider discussion on the clubs having a serious manufacturing/quality issue. I have spoke to so many people over the last few days who have had the exact same issue with both the T200 and T350 (2021 and 2023 models). Under warranty Titleist will glue the cheap plastic back on the club head but I don’t feel that is good enough so I was posting on here to see what other people’s opinions were. If you have the T200 irons then it is only a matter of time before the plastic badges either start peeling or fall off completely. It will happen at some point but you just have to hope it happens within that 12 month warranty period. Thanks for the reply. 

13 minutes ago, ole gray said:

WOW that's interesting that your entire set started peeling!  I will say it's not just Titleist with the peeling issue as I found a pic of a 5 iron in my previous set of Taylormade HD irons that had the same issue. 

TMHD5iron.jpg.dd61aee940a2bac2a1f65ec24d4b89c7.jpg

Yeah that looks to be exactly the same thing so likely a similar material used. Titleist were aware of the negative feedback from the 2021 models peeling and falling off and they said the 2023 models were improved to prevent this but based on the many people I have encounter with this issue it would seem nothing has changed. Hope you are enjoying the Stealth irons 👌

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, infinatejest87 said:

It’s more a wider discussion on the clubs having a serious manufacturing/quality issue. I have spoke to so many people over the last few days who have had the exact same issue with both the T200 and T350 (2021 and 2023 models). Under warranty Titleist will glue the cheap plastic back on the club head but I don’t feel that is good enough so I was posting on here to see what other people’s opinions were. If you have the T200 irons then it is only a matter of time before the plastic badges either start peeling or fall off completely. It will happen at some point but you just have to hope it happens within that 12 month warranty period. Thanks for the reply. 

Sucks that defects happen, but in all the cases I’ve seen Titleist actually replaces the club/set rather than “glueing” anything back on. If this happened to all T200-T350s (current and prior gen) that would be really shocking, but also super unlikely.

But if my T200s do break I have no reason think that Titleist wouldn’t replace the club.

Edit: Also, I see a lot of complaints about “cheap plastic” on game improvement/super game improvement clubs. What should the backplates be made of? No club in this category is completely forged.

Edited by BallsLeon

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (45")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

8 minutes ago, BallsLeon said:

Sucks that defects happen, but in all the cases I’ve seen Titleist actually replaces the club/set rather than “glueing” anything back on. If this happened to all T200-T350s (current and prior gen) that would be really shocking, but also super unlikely.

But if my T200s do break I have no reason think that Titleist wouldn’t replace the club.

Edit: Also, I see a lot of complaints about “cheap plastic” on game improvement/super game improvement clubs. What should the backplates be made of? No club in this category is completely forged.

I don’t think anyone said that every single set of clubs have had this defect, we are saying that there are more than enough for a case to be made that something perhaps needs to be addressed by Titleist. They already claimed that the issues in the 2021 models had been addressed and improved in the 2023 models so they are fully aware that there was a problem but it doesn’t seem to have done the trick. Perhaps you are right with what you said about what other material could they use other than plastic and maybe it comes down to me more than likely been happier and more reassured with a iron that doesn’t use the plastic cover/badges. I know a few people have messaged me and said “this is why I never buy irons with badges stuck to the back”. I think it was a common problem in the old TM RSI irons from the research I have done. I think the best result for me will be for them to exchange the clubs with another brand or maybe even the T150’s but it’s unlikely this will happen. Someone commented saying I have buyer remorse and I definitely do but not for the performance as the clubs are the best I have ever hit without a doubt, but I do have remorse knowing that at any point the backing could come off and/or start peeling again. 

When it comes to buyers remorse, well I loved how they performed, everything about them was what I thought would be the set to stay in my bag for a long time and I was going to become a Titleist loyalist once again as my last set were the AP2's. Unfortunately they didn't last more than 3 months as my remorse came from knowing that the back plate could come off at any point. Plus after spending as much as I did I couldn't deal with the fact if something did happen that I would have to go through the warranty process and be without irons for several weeks. I don't have a back up set as I don't want or need a back up set. I'm sure Titleist will honor their warranty just like any other OEM out there but I'm way to OCD about my golf equipment. I got way too hyped up over the T-series release only to be disappointed as I wish I would have went with the T-150's instead as Titleist knocked it out of the park with the T-100's and T-150's. Now knowing what I do could have saved me a lot of money and headaches if I knew what I know now back before I purchased the T-350's. I never had the issues mentioned with mine but at any point I may have been the next victim. I glad for the people that are getting their issues fixed and that it doesn't happen again and glad for some that it may never happen. I'm curious as to how many owners have back up sets and what changes have been made know knowing it could happen to them if it hasn't already. In my case I have moved on never to look back a bit bit sad but much happier with what I now have. The T-350's have received a lot of love and they should as they are some remarkable performing irons. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G430 Max 10 w/ VA Composites Slay 55

3W: :cobra-small: Darkspeed Max w/UST Mamiya LIN-Q-M40X Red

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60 

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

5 hours ago, RangerGrey said:

When it comes to buyers remorse, well I loved how they performed, everything about them was what I thought would be the set to stay in my bag for a long time and I was going to become a Titleist loyalist once again as my last set were the AP2's. Unfortunately they didn't last more than 3 months as my remorse came from knowing that the back plate could come off at any point. Plus after spending as much as I did I couldn't deal with the fact if something did happen that I would have to go through the warranty process and be without irons for several weeks. I don't have a back up set as I don't want or need a back up set. I'm sure Titleist will honor their warranty just like any other OEM out there but I'm way to OCD about my golf equipment. I got way too hyped up over the T-series release only to be disappointed as I wish I would have went with the T-150's instead as Titleist knocked it out of the park with the T-100's and T-150's. Now knowing what I do could have saved me a lot of money and headaches if I knew what I know now back before I purchased the T-350's. I never had the issues mentioned with mine but at any point I may have been the next victim. I glad for the people that are getting their issues fixed and that it doesn't happen again and glad for some that it may never happen. I'm curious as to how many owners have back up sets and what changes have been made know knowing it could happen to them if it hasn't already. In my case I have moved on never to look back a bit bit sad but much happier with what I now have. The T-350's have received a lot of love and they should as they are some remarkable performing irons. 

Glad to hear your current irons are doing the business and you are enjoying your golf. In regards to having a back up set of irons I am about to be affected by this as when I bought the T200’s I sold my old set for a bit of extra cash to help with the big purchase. Now that I have send them back under warranty, I will be without a set. Usually it wouldn’t be too bad but I had two away days booked and paid for that was arrange by our captain. I was really looking forward to going. My dad has said I can use his but they are 30 years old and I don’t fancy attempting a round with them. I really just wish I had bought the T150’s in hindsight. They seem like a much more solid design with no parts that can fall off over time. Anyway, see what happens. Least the weather is improving and I don’t look like I’ve been playing rugby after each round now. That’s a positive.