Do you still carry a 5-iron?

On 5/7/2024 at 10:21 AM, Shrek74 said:

As I just celebrated my 50th b-day (although celebrate might be a strong word), I'm starting to think differently about my bag make-up than I did just a few short years ago. I had a PXG fitting a few days ago and will have an OEM-neutral fitting next Monday. Those fittings will help me determine what the proper bag make-up should be along with the best options to fill those slots.

One of those slots in particular is up for debate, as I take a long-hard look at my game and my needs - the 5 iron. Looking at my Shot Scope data over the 7 rounds I had it for at the end of last year, I hit the 5 iron 15 times. I bet I hit it well, less than 5. The other 10? Thin, topped, and fat are the best way to describe them. Consistency goes out the window with that long iron for me, and has for some time. I keep thinking I'll figure it out, especially with the changes I've made in my swing to help with good contact and proper swing mechanics. But is it worth continuing to struggle with it and allowing bad shots to happen 2/3 of the time while I continue to work on my swing for a fix that may never fully come? I'm thinking no.

So I'm looking at a complete reset of the top of my bag and that transition point into the irons along with the iron set make-up itself. The main point being that I'm looking to dump the 5 iron and replace it with something more useful, but more importantly more consistent.

So my question to you all is this - do you still use the 5 iron, and if not what have you replaced it with? Utility club, hybrid, or high-lofted fairway wood?

Let me know your thoughts and experiences around this part of your bag. I'd love to get more thoughts than just my own.

Yes to a 5-iron, but it's a P790 and so is 23.5* loft and therefore closer to a traditional 4-iron. It's my 200-210yd club. I carry a 3H and 7W in place of longer irons. I use the 3H (delofted to 18*) more as a fairway finder off the tee and for recovery shots and hitting low under trees.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9* (@8*) w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

I've gone through a lot of changes at the top of my bag the past 2 years as I've gotten better and more consistent, but also realized my limitations and what can actually help me, rather than what I "think I should be using" with my club composition. I've tried driving irons only to realize I didn't have swing speed or consistent enough to hit it regularly. I then tried 3 hybrid and just wasn't consistent enough with that either, then found an Epic Max 5W, which I LOVE! Then moved onto the 4 iron spot (21°) and tried hybrid, which isn't bad, but felt I wasn't getting enough height to hold greens as well as I should, so I searched a few months for a reasonably priced 7W and finally landed one (Paradym). Still getting used to it, but A LOT easier to hit consistently and get down the fairway. Now, I'm going back and forth between keeping my 5i or getting a 5Hybrid. My swing has gotten better and not sure if I want to keep fooling around with different clubs, or just stick with 5i and work to get better at hitting it. 

Callaway  Epic Speed 9°-PX iM10 6.0

Titleist  TS2 15-16.5° 3W - PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Callaway  Epic Max 18° 5W - PX iM10 5.5

Titleist  TS2 20° 4H - PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist  T300 5-PW - True Temper AMT Red Regular 

Cleveland  Zipcore 48.10 

Vokey  SM8 54.12

Cleveland  RTX4 60.06 

Odyssey  2-Ball Blade

I still carry a 5 iron although I gave up on a 4 iron years ago.   mY 5 iron is a TM P790 and Its the easierst to hit 5 iron I have ever had.  Has the loft of the old 4 .

I replaced the 4 iron with a 4 hybrid.  Two years ago I repalced the 4 hybrid with a 7 wood and its the best move I made.  So much better than a hybrid.  Easier to hit and goes straighter and higher than a hybrid.

The issue is that I can only carry the 5 175-180 and the 7 wood can go 190 - 200 so have a gap in the 180-190 range 

About to turn 48 and I still have a 4i and 5i in the bag. The avg. distance for my 5i is about 190-200yrds and I hit it pretty consistently. My friends all have hybrids and I'm wondering how much of a difference it would make for me. 

C-Lau76
TaylorMade Sim2 Max

Im still carrying my 3-5 irons 3 and 5 woods. When I bought my clubs Hybrids were just coming out. I might eventually make the switch, but that won’t be until I make a complete fitted switch

Dad of two girls playing and practicing as much as I can

Im still carrying my 3-5 irons 3 and 5 woods. When I bought my clubs Hybrids were just coming out. I might eventually make the switch, but that won’t be until I make a complete fitted switch

Dad of two girls playing and practicing as much as I can

I do still carry a 5 iron and use it regularly. I do not use it as much as my 4 hybrid but have not looked into replacing the 5 iron with a hybrid. I still like the feel and flight of the 5 iron. 

Jeffrey Starling

So since age seems to be part of the topic, I'll be 58 in a few days, yippie.... Now with that being said, I carry a 4CB iron and 5 thru PW MB.  Theoretically could I make my life easier moving into a 7W or 9W, probably.  But I think, if I just got out of my own way, and head, at this time there is no reason to drop those clubs.  I still have the speed and ability to play them.  As for now they will remain.  Perhaps some day, if I get out of my stubbornness, and find a few extra bucks I'll switch out, but for now they are gamers.  

Titleist 712 MBs PXG 3w Scotty Golo

Titleist ProV1x

My response probably isn't so relevant to the original post (just about to turn 40, high swing speed), but the MGS e-mail seems like it's a broader question, so here goes: 

Yes, still have a 5 iron. The main set is 5-PW, with 2-4 irons as slightly larger, but still standard, iron heads -- I have a strong preference for iron look over hybrid (but now that I'm figuring out better shafts, might try a true hybrid again soon). I just recently dropped the 4 to that style after finding success with the 3 as part of a '21 MGS test, and then decided to get a longer one as well. I'm likely going to hold out as long as possible - definitely like the iron over a hybrid, but I'm sure that it's inevitable that I'll need to start swapping out those longer ones as I get to mid-40s. But the 5 iron? I think dropping that is a long way off for me. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

I still hit my 5 iron. I would say it's one of my go to clubs. My 5 iron is a predicable shot. I have hybrid 3 and 4, but the 5 is a welcome friend in my bag.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym 
Irons: Callaway Paradym
Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-Ball SRT Putter (AKA The Space Station)
Bag: Sun Mountain Cart Bag 
Ball of Choice: Callaway Supersoft but always up to try something

i still carry a 5 and a 4 iron but i was leaning towards getting rid of them from previously playing mizuno's

i decided to get a full set on graphite shafts and it worked out great

the game improvement line has worked very well for me on all the irons

Callaway Ai Smoke Driver
Callaway Ai Smoke 3 Wood 
Callaway Ai Smoke 5 Wood
PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP 4 - PW 
Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 46*, 52* & 56*  
Scotty Cameron - Super Select Squareback 2 Moto 
Vice Pro Plus 

NIKE  Air Sport Bag

I definitely still carry a 5 iron. My mizunos are 3-pw but I took out the 3 and got a hybrid but now I have a big gap between the hybrid and 4 iron. 

Driver-:PXG: Gen6 Tensei white 75g xflex tipped 9 degree

3 wood- :PXG:proto 

hybrid- :PXG: proto

irons- :mizuno-small: mp52

gw- :cleveland-small: 50 degree 

sw- :callaway-logo-1: jaws 56 degree

lw- :cleveland-small: 64 degree

putter- :PXG: bat attack

bag- :ping-small:

ball- :bridgestone-small:  :titleist-small:   

Great topic and everyone has their own reason.  I carry a 5 iron and Utility 4 iron.  In the cold I use a 4 hybrid.  I am 73 and can’t hit it as far as I use too. So my gapping is critical.  
Great idea about a 5 utility, had not thought of that one. Thanks.

Driver Titleist Tsi 3 9.75*
Fairway Titleist 5, 7 woods

Hybrd Titleist TSR 2 21* or

Utility iron Mizuno HiFly 4

Irons Mizuno Pro 245 5-P

Wedges Vokey SM9 48*, 54*, and 58*

Putter Scotty Cameron Newport super select

Ball Titleist ProV 1X

18 hours ago, alfriday101 said:

Newer 5 irons seem to be where the 24/38 rule (guideline) shows up.  

the "rule":

In the world of Clubfitting there is something called the “24/38 Rule.”
Basically, it says that the majority of golfers cannot consistently hit an iron
that has less than 24-degrees of loft or is more than 38 inches in its length.
The reason is that a club like that requires swing skills that most average
golfers do not have the ability to acquire.
Thirty years ago the 24/38 line fell on the other side of the 3-iron. So,
when you bought a typical 3-iron through pitching wedge iron set, you
could reasonably expect to hit each of those clubs. Because of the “van-
ishing loft disease,” the 24/38 line has now moved to the shy side of the
5-iron—making the 3-, 4- and even the 5-iron un-hittable for most golfers.

From Wishon Golf.  

Something to think about.  Check your specs and see how your 5 iron fits the "rule."

This is a great rule! Makes a lot of sense and appreciate you sharing it. 

My bag changes constantly depending on course length and tightness of fairways. If the course is short I do not require a 5 iron b/c I usually tee off and have 8 iorn or less into greens. If a course is really tight, I like to carry as many irons as possible so I will ditch my hybrid and put all my irons in bag p-3. When I play a wide open longer course, I like to have Driver, 3wd, Hybrid, and Driving 3 iron in bag. I will pull my 5 iron out. I am very good at hitting knock down shots or power shots. So I can cut a 4 iron down or power up a 6 iron into the 5 iron gap. 

Taylormade Mini Brnr (11.5 degree) w/ Fujikura Motore F1 7x 

Taylormade Sim Titanium 3 wood (13.5 degree) w/ Fujikura Motore F1 7x

Taylormade Sim 3 Hybrid w/ Fujikura Ventus 7x

Titleist T-MB 6-4 irons w/ True Temper AMT white shafts

Titleist 716CB P-7 w/ True Temper S300 shafts

Titleist Vokey wedges - 60.4 / 56.10 / 52.8

Putter - Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #5 

4 hours ago, D.Murphy said:

I have ZERO and I mean ZERO control of any sort of wood or hybrid. I think I might be regressing in terms of tech in the bag. I use the ol 4 and 5 irons all the time. Use them off the tee when the driver is doing everything but what I would like it to be doing. 
At one of the local courses I use my 5 6-9 times in a round, bump and runs out of tree lines. 
Now I do have an older set of Nikes that I have been playing with since 2009, and am probably due for a new set in the near future. But, if and when I get a new set of something, irons all day. Them hybrids and woods and all that new tech wont be collecting dust in my bag. 

I feel the same way about hybrids. I haven't found one yet that doesn't fly severely right to left and I don't need that. I'm a hoover already

I've always had a 5 iron but never used it before and would go more towards my 3 or 5 hybrid. Somehow this season it started clicking with my iron and have been using it all season thus far.

Driver: Titleist TSR3

Irons: Titleist T350

A few years ago I found a $10 barrel find:  Mizuno 24 degree Fli-Hi GFF, probably circa 2012?.  I will carry it maybe forever.  It looks like a typical wide sole hollow body but since it is forged it stays.  So, no 5 iron.  A 5 wood, 20 or 21 loft late model Titleist.  I don't hit the 24 deg Mizu often but it stays.  I finally learned how to post pix, will do that soon.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

30 minutes ago, JoeyBananas said:

My bag changes constantly depending on course length and tightness of fairways. If the course is short I do not require a 5 iron b/c I usually tee off and have 8 iorn or less into greens. If a course is really tight, I like to carry as many irons as possible so I will ditch my hybrid and put all my irons in bag p-3. When I play a wide open longer course, I like to have Driver, 3wd, Hybrid, and Driving 3 iron in bag. I will pull my 5 iron out. I am very good at hitting knock down shots or power shots. So I can cut a 4 iron down or power up a 6 iron into the 5 iron gap. 

Changing the bag to fit the course makes a lot of sense.  My new local has bare dirt and no rough, so I don;t need a rescue type hybrid.  Mizuno 3 driv iron and Mizu 24 degree GFF fly-hi are important.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

On 5/7/2024 at 1:57 PM, Northern Monkey said:

I’m 52 and still have a 5 iron, and a 4 iron, in my bag although I have been thinking about swapping out the 4 iron

I recommend that you switch the 4 iron to a 4 hybrid, my dad is around your age and he switched to a 4 hybrid and it has really helped his game 

About a year ago, I traded out my 5 iron for a 5 hybrid Cobra one-length which I love.  It gives me the same or better distance and is MUCH easier to hit.

Senior golfers getting shorter

I guess I’m the outlier. When I turned 75,  replaced my 5 iron for a hybrid until I bought Callaway Rogue ST Max 6-AW this past year. Less than two weeks later, ordered the matching 5I and moved it into my bag. It maxes out at 184, but is usually good for 175, so it matches well for my 3H and 3W. 

Bob Preston

Ping G driver and 3 wood

Calloway 3 hybrid

TA1 stiff steel irons

Callaway wedges

Odessy putter