Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×

Do you still carry a 5-iron?

I carry a 4 5 and 6.  6 is my 150 club and I hit it well.  My 5 iron I only keep around out of loyalty.  It is both my hole in one club (Par 3) and eagle club (Par 4).  Other that those two times in the last 7 years, I don't hit it often or well.  I hit the 4 iron more often and more consistently.

PXG 0211 Driver

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i PW AW with factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44 52

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

As I just celebrated my 50th b-day (although celebrate might be a strong word), I'm starting to think differently about my bag make-up than I did just a few short years ago. I had a PXG fitting a few days ago and will have an OEM-neutral fitting next Monday. Those fittings will help me determine what the proper bag make-up should be along with the best options to fill those slots.
One of those slots in particular is up for debate, as I take a long-hard look at my game and my needs - the 5 iron. Looking at my Shot Scope data over the 7 rounds I had it for at the end of last year, I hit the 5 iron 15 times. I bet I hit it well, less than 5. The other 10? Thin, topped, and fat are the best way to describe them. Consistency goes out the window with that long iron for me, and has for some time. I keep thinking I'll figure it out, especially with the changes I've made in my swing to help with good contact and proper swing mechanics. But is it worth continuing to struggle with it and allowing bad shots to happen 2/3 of the time while I continue to work on my swing for a fix that may never fully come? I'm thinking no.
So I'm looking at a complete reset of the top of my bag and that transition point into the irons along with the iron set make-up itself. The main point being that I'm looking to dump the 5 iron and replace it with something more useful, but more importantly more consistent.
So my question to you all is this - do you still use the 5 iron, and if not what have you replaced it with? Utility club, hybrid, or high-lofted fairway wood?
Let me know your thoughts and experiences around this part of your bag. I'd love to get more thoughts than just my own.
I not only have a 5 iron, but a P790UDI 2 iron and a 4 iron S well. Hybrids suck in my hands and I don't want to give up the versatility of the driving iron over a 7 wood from fairway, tee shot, and any number of other lies.

Posted (edited)

I used to carry one but my confidence level dropped so low with it that I found myself leaving it at home most of the time. I just picked up some different irons and went with 6-PW. I also got an 11 wood which basically replaced my 5 iron that I hit very well.

Edited by schooner44

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback

I carry a 5, 4 and 2 iron. The 4 and 2 are the T200 while the rest of my clubs are T150's. Occasionally if it's wet, I'll take a 5W instead of the 2 iron for extra carry, but I seem to hit my 2 iron straighter. 

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR Stiff  
TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black Stiff
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black Stiff
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Taylormade TP5

On 5/23/2024 at 6:57 PM, MissionMan said:

I carry a 5, 4 and 2 iron. The 4 and 2 are the T200 while the rest of my clubs are T150's. Occasionally if it's wet, I'll take a 5W instead of the 2 iron for extra carry, but I seem to hit my 2 iron straighter. 

How do you like the 2? I’ve been looking to get rid of my 3wood cause I carry a 4,5,6. I hit my 4 about 230-240 consistently but my 3wood is in shambles so I just took it out of the bag. Looking to make up that gap between my driver and 4iron. Drivers extremely inconsistent so I typically will just 4iron off the tee also. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

just recently stopped carrying my 5i... because i just stopped needing it... my 4i as well...

i have made a lot of changes at the top of my bag this season and looked over my scorecards and saw i hardly use them...

this year i added a Srixon ZX 3w 15*, G430 4h 22*, and 5h 26* and i'm hitting them really well... and since my 6i is lofted like a 5 i don't miss it at all... plus the G430's launch the ball really high which i never got with my 5i...

2024 WITB.jpg

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Ping G425 Max Driver, Srixon ZX 3W, TaylorMade SIM Max 5W, Srixon ZX5 5-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08* F Grind, 56.10* S Grind, 60.14* K Grind, Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1 or Scotty Special Select Newport 2...

6 hours ago, PrismFlopper said:

How do you like the 2? I’ve been looking to get rid of my 3wood cause I carry a 4,5,6. I hit my 4 about 230-240 consistently but my 3wood is in shambles so I just took it out of the bag. Looking to make up that gap between my driver and 4iron. Drivers extremely inconsistent so I typically will just 4iron off the tee also. 

I like it. Not quite as long as a 3W, a 1 iron would probably be the same, but if you are hitting your 4 230-240 the 2 iron should be more than enough.

My 2 iron is a fairway finder for me. Even when I hit it badly, I am still fairly straight with it where a wood typically has a bigger spread. The other area I like the 2 iron is hitting into the wind, or for stingers under trees where you want something hitting a little lower.

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR Stiff  
TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black Stiff
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black Stiff
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Taylormade TP5