Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

Do you still carry a 5-iron?

I will turn 57 in October and the aches, groans and "pain" of getting effing old are certainly becoming a factor in my game (I use the term "game" lightly).  I DO still carry a 5 iron and it is one of my 'confidently utilized' clubs, BUT distance with it is starting to wane slowly but surely.  I have added a 7 wood to the bag of late (yes, I am a follower of trends unfortunately) and feel like I may be close to taking the 5-iron out .... but just no confidence at all with that 7 wood.  I really think that my gapping is ALL screwed up and the last year plus has been a mess trying to figure all of that out.

Driver = Ping G430

Fairway Woods = Callaway Paradym 5 wood & Paradym X 7 wood

Irons = Callaway Apex 5 iron through PW

Wedges = Taylor Made Hi-Toe 52, 56 and 60 degree

Putter = Lab Golf Mezzi.1 Max

On 5/7/2024 at 9:21 AM, Shrek74 said:

As I just celebrated my 50th b-day (although celebrate might be a strong word), I'm starting to think differently about my bag make-up than I did just a few short years ago. I had a PXG fitting a few days ago and will have an OEM-neutral fitting next Monday. Those fittings will help me determine what the proper bag make-up should be along with the best options to fill those slots.

One of those slots in particular is up for debate, as I take a long-hard look at my game and my needs - the 5 iron. Looking at my Shot Scope data over the 7 rounds I had it for at the end of last year, I hit the 5 iron 15 times. I bet I hit it well, less than 5. The other 10? Thin, topped, and fat are the best way to describe them. Consistency goes out the window with that long iron for me, and has for some time. I keep thinking I'll figure it out, especially with the changes I've made in my swing to help with good contact and proper swing mechanics. But is it worth continuing to struggle with it and allowing bad shots to happen 2/3 of the time while I continue to work on my swing for a fix that may never fully come? I'm thinking no.

So I'm looking at a complete reset of the top of my bag and that transition point into the irons along with the iron set make-up itself. The main point being that I'm looking to dump the 5 iron and replace it with something more useful, but more importantly more consistent.

So my question to you all is this - do you still use the 5 iron, and if not what have you replaced it with? Utility club, hybrid, or high-lofted fairway wood?

Let me know your thoughts and experiences around this part of your bag. I'd love to get more thoughts than just my own.

With the strength of iron lofts today, I decided a few years ago to take out the 5i. Also I have found that putting in a 2,4 and 5 hybrids were a great decision. I can hit the hybrids much easier out of any lie. So, my bag has: Driver, 3W, 2,4,5 hybrids, 6 to AW irons, 55 and 59 degree wedges and putter. 

Play like a champion today!

On 5/7/2024 at 10:21 AM, Shrek74 said:

As I just celebrated my 50th b-day (although celebrate might be a strong word), I'm starting to think differently about my bag make-up than I did just a few short years ago. I had a PXG fitting a few days ago and will have an OEM-neutral fitting next Monday. Those fittings will help me determine what the proper bag make-up should be along with the best options to fill those slots.

One of those slots in particular is up for debate, as I take a long-hard look at my game and my needs - the 5 iron. Looking at my Shot Scope data over the 7 rounds I had it for at the end of last year, I hit the 5 iron 15 times. I bet I hit it well, less than 5. The other 10? Thin, topped, and fat are the best way to describe them. Consistency goes out the window with that long iron for me, and has for some time. I keep thinking I'll figure it out, especially with the changes I've made in my swing to help with good contact and proper swing mechanics. But is it worth continuing to struggle with it and allowing bad shots to happen 2/3 of the time while I continue to work on my swing for a fix that may never fully come? I'm thinking no.

So I'm looking at a complete reset of the top of my bag and that transition point into the irons along with the iron set make-up itself. The main point being that I'm looking to dump the 5 iron and replace it with something more useful, but more importantly more consistent.

So my question to you all is this - do you still use the 5 iron, and if not what have you replaced it with? Utility club, hybrid, or high-lofted fairway wood?

Let me know your thoughts and experiences around this part of your bag. I'd love to get more thoughts than just my own.

For me, just not enough 5i shots in a round to worry about it. Maybe for a 175 yd Par 3 now and then. But if you are not feeling it, why not go to a Hybrid?

Maybe I should try playing left handed!

I carry 4-P and a 3 utility. According to my stroke gained stats on Arccos my long irons are my better irons. I hit the same percentage of greens with my 4 and 5 as my 8 and 9. I have no problem hitting them high to stop on a green and also feel really comfortable hitting a lower flight long iron into wind. I had a hybrid a long time ago, and I didn’t feel as confident with it in those situations (too much height). The 3i goes in and out of the bag,  but that’s also a comfort club. In all honesty, I think I have a mental problem. I always try to just hit the green with a long iron and I try to be more aggressive with a short iron and end up short siding myself. The mental game and course management needs work. 

• Driver Cobra Radspeed 10.5. Stiff HZRDS Smoke Yellow
  • 3W Cabra F8+ 14.5
  • 5W Cobra F8+ 17.5
  • Irons TM RocketBladez 4i-P
  • Wedges Kirkland Signature 52@50, 56@55, and 60
  • Putter KS1

Posted (edited)

I do carry a 5-9, 46, 50, 56, 62. 

The 5 iron is my go to when I want to shape my shot and carry 210-215 with decent run out.

My 3 hybrid is my craziest club in the bag. Some days I absolutely crush it 250-260 with 4 feet of run out, other days Im a perfect 215-220 with 3 feet of run out. I find it difficult to shape, though fade bias. 

My other choices are Driver, 3 wood and 4 wood. Most courses in my area I am on in 2 on most par 5s, or a short wedge shot in. I have the most control off the tee with the 4 wood, and most control from the fairway/rough with the 3 wood. I have lost my driver control as of late and have stuck with one of my woods as they are 230-260, which gives plenty of distance on most holes.

Being 200-210 out my go to is my 5 iron. I struggle with over swinging, and it allows me to slow down and make good contact and still get the distance needed to be on the green, or at least pin high to get up and down.

Edited by willgubitz

TSr2 Driver - TSi2 3W, 4W - TSr2 3HY

T400 5-9i

Vokey SM8 46, 50, 56

TaylorMade 60

Network Engineer by trade, Golfer by choice.

70+. Carry a 4 hybrid and a 6 hybrid. 6 hybrid has a longer shaft so the 5 iron/hybrid distance is covered by a hard 6 or choked up 4. The thing about a hybrid is, if you find one with an adjustable hosel, like the Callaways I carry, it is very easy to dial in yardages with different settings and shafts. The long to mid irons can't be changed much or as easy. Pretty much have to buy a new one, whereas I experimented with my 4 hybrid the past week. -1 degree resulted in a soft fade, +1 resulted in a hard draw, and standard went pretty straight. It is very consistent.

I did buy a newer 5 hybrid in the past year, a Paradym off the pre-owned site, because I don't hit the 4 as high as I would like. It didn't go any higher which kills me because my 6 hybrid can hit moon balls. More testing in the future. One thing for sure is I need to change  the grip as it feels big.

The never ending story.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I still carry a 5 iron.  I also carry a 2 hybrid and 4 hybrid.  I don't see getting rid of my 5 iron even if I can find something like a 5 wood to fill the gap from my 4 hybrid to 6 iron.  For me, the 5 iron is also a good punch shot solution.

I’m 53, and got sick of inconsistent long irons, so I have done away with them. My bag is now:

Driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, 6H, 7-GW, 54, 58. Getting rid of my 4-6 irons has me hitting more greens, and dropped my handicap 4 points in a couple of months. 

Santa Steve

I am a Senior golfer and have significantly more mileage on my bones than you do at 50. I still carry a 5-iron as part of my bag setup and even carry a 4-iron on really windy days. As long as I can launch it properly, and maintain my yardage gaps, the 5-iron will stay in my bag. I have always hit my irons well, so moving to a hybrid doesn't make sense for me at this point. That said, I did replace my 3-iron several years back with a hybrid to get a higher trajectory. IMHO it gets down to your skill level, goals, and personal preference.   

Driver: Callaway Paradym (10.5)  

3 Wood: Callaway Paradym (15*) 

5 Wood: Callaway Paradym (18*)

Hybrid: Callaway EPIC SuperHybrid 4

Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 (5-AW)

Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy (54*/58*)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

54 years old and still use 4 and 5 iron. and love them. I play a lot of tree lined courses, so the 4 iron is a great rescue club to advance the ball. and the 5 iron is just a great fairway finder. I have hit hybrids but just cant get comfortable with them. Maybe in the near future I will change that mind set. 

Paradym 9*
Epic Flash 5W
Cobra tour forged 4-GW
RAW JAWS SW-LW
Scotty Cameron Phanton X 5

24 degree hybrid. have a 5i on hand in case I need to flight the ball down since the hybrid flies higher but the forgiveness and soft landing were both what convinced me to start my irons at 6 and move on.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I have a combo set Titleist t150 pw-6 then t200 5-4  previous I had the Pxgs 0311t gen 3 pwn-4.. let me tell you, I love my 5i!! love the flight , distance, and spins enough to hold greens. I carry it around 190-195yard so it helps a lot with those in between yard or long par 3s. I also use it for little punch shots to put me back in play. it's very versatile and will be in the bag for now. 

I think it comes down to distance And proper gapping. if your 5i isn't going the distance you want it to, hybrids and woods are cheat codes.. if I ever do replace my 5i it would probably be for a hybrid but the low spin low launch makes me wonder how it will do when it lands on a green. hmm have a great day guys 

Jlo

Yes! Still carry 3-PW, SW, LW. I think I’ve only hit a few standard 3 iron shots but I’ve used it to punch out of trees! Think I’m gonna replace 3 with a hybrid. I still like 4 and 5 irons. 

Been playing golf since I was 8, so.... a long time!

At 74, I’ve given up on a 5 iron and continue to wonder about a 6 iron. I’m a Titleist guy cause their fitters can fit any club for my LH game and only fit me for clubs I can hit. Ping would be my other option. I see too many vendors with a choice of sets starting with 4 or 5 irons if they even offer LH. I do need to look at stats for 5 hybrid versus 6 iron. If I’m more consistent with the 5 hybrid, then a 6 hybrid will make sense. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

At 72 I still carry a 4 iron and a 5 iron. Yeah, sure you're thinking, but they are older clubs and the lofts have not been reduced as much as the newer models. It makes no sense to me at least for marketing to promote distance in irons by reducing lofts and letting so many think they can hit the same club further than before when it really isn't the same club.

Funny enough my 5 iron is the best club in my bag. My irons 4-Pw are Mizuno JPX 923's and since getting them a year ago they work incredibly well. I have a higher than avg swing speed, so when the driver is just not being accurate for me I switch to the 5 off tee and sacrifice about 50 yds in distance for accuracy 

Fore!

I have 4-AW in my bag (Callaway Mavrik) and I have hit some of my favorite shots off all time with my 5-iron. It's my 195 club. I didn't get much out of it until I started shortening my backswing, but once I did that it became a rocket ship for me. 

Callaway Epic Speed Driver, Ping G410 3W, PXG 0311 XF 19* hybrid, 4-AW Callaway Mavrik, 56* Callaway Jaws Raw Chrome, Odyssey White Hot OG WS-1

I'm 58 and not only do I still carry a 5-iron, but I also have a 4-iron.  My 5-iron is good for about 200 yards and I can't envision giving it up anytime soon!

My 4-iron is about 2" longer than standard and I use it as a driving iron on short par-4's, when I absolutely need to hit the fairway.  I've nicknamed it 'magic'.

Though I'm closing in on 60, I'm fit and still have good clubhead speed.  I'm just not ready to resign myself to being a hybrid player (nor play the forward tees).

Someday...but not today!

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
default_cameron-small.gif.f215b193ccb45d2889c3ef1672ccb791.gif Phantom 7 putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

Got fitted for PXG 0211’s 2 years ago for PW-5i. I can hit it pretty decent but I wouldn’t mind replacing it with a 5 hybrid. Why make the game harder for those times we need it? My problem will probably be the shaft type. I’m not sure of my swing speed, but when I got fitted for my PXG Gen 5 0311, they put my in an x-stiff shaft and said I’d need the same for my woods. 

Currently gaming 

PXG 0311 gen 5 drive, PXG 0211’s, Wilson 4 hybrid, Nike covert 3 wood, Volkey SM4 wedges, odyssey O-works blade putter  

I'm 6-PW in TM P770 

After a full bag review last year the 5i was swapped to an Apex Pro 5h, I already played and older Apex Pro 4h and XR16OS 3h.  All fitted with Tou AD DI 80s hybrid shafts.  The 5h is just so much more consistent than the 5i was.  The Apex Pro is a fantastic compact hybrid head that feels great.  

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway XR16OS, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Toulon Atlanta flow neck with KBS OneStep shaft 

L.A.B. DF3 for sale!

I opted for a 5H nearly 8 years ago; I'll turn 58 this year. The 5i does go in and out of the bag only because my home course has 3 par 3's that can require a 5i and on a windy day with the elevation I have preferred it to the high flying hybrid. 

The last few years I have hardly used the 5i at all though. My current 5h is a bit more like a 4h (my iron set is relatively weak lofted), but I've figured out how to hit it low, get 5i yardage from it when needed and even putt with it from off the green. It's become one of my favorite clubs. I tried to get one in the bag earlier, but it wasn't until the fitter made it closer to an iron in weight that I was able to hit it decently.

Lately I have only been carrying 12 clubs and could probably get by with 10 so the 5i is usually left behind. Surprising considering that, when I started playing 28 years ago, I carried a 4 iron that I used for tee shots because I couldn't hit a wood.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4w

Callaway Rogue X 5h

Taylormade P770 6-PW

Callaway MD5 52, 56, 50

Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yes, I have a Titleist T300 5 iron…and use it a couple times a round.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Just turned 65 and haven’t carried a 5i for years and recently replaced my 6i with 6h. I’ve been using hybrids from 3-5 for a long time. Also carry a 5w that gives me a little more distance and higher flight than the 3h. I tried a 2h for a while but it wasn’t consistent.