Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Wood - 2024 Forum Review

How's the testing going team? Any updates?

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

On 8/19/2024 at 4:45 PM, Shrek74 said:

How's the testing going team? Any updates?

I have really enjoyed testing my 7 wood. I don’t have too much for an update other than the more I use it, the more I like it. Like any club, you have to have confidence to swing it effectively. It took a couple range sessions initially to get used to a new club, but since then, the confidence keeps growing. 

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 10.5°

Fairway Wood - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 3HL

Hybrids - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 3&4

Irons - TaylorMade RocketBladez 5-PW

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F/56.10S/60.10S

Putter - TaylorMade Ghost Spider S

@JJBack thank you for posting your yardage data.  For comparison what is your 5i yardage?  I am looking for a club to fit between 180 (5i) and 210 (5w) which is currently my 18* hybrid that is over 20 years old.

I like that comments indicate it is fade biased as i find a lot of hybrids and lofted woods miss left for me.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Has anyone found a good non-fade bias weight setting on the clubs? It's not adjustable, so we can't do it that way.

I know @J7Hawkins said he found something, so I'm curious to know if anyone has found something more definite.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

5 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

@JJBack thank you for posting your yardage data.  For comparison what is your 5i yardage?  I am looking for a club to fit between 180 (5i) and 210 (5w) which is currently my 18* hybrid that is over 20 years old.

I like that comments indicate it is fade biased as i find a lot of hybrids and lofted woods miss left for me.

I typically think of my 5i as being around 180 as well. Here’s some 5i data from a session a couple weeks ago.

IMG_4144.jpeg.5539183b346269176c9f74c579865000.jpeg

On 7/8/2024 at 11:14 PM, J7Hawkins said:

Hey everyone! I'm super excited to be posting this introduction for what will be my 2nd test on the MGS forum (Clicgear 4.0 Review) and my first time reviewing a club!

A little about me: I'm now in my late 20s and have been playing golf for nearly 4 years. I grew up playing baseball and traveled the Southern US playing the sport I love so I never really had the time to play golf growing up, and the closest course to the small town where I grew up was about an hour away. Fast forward to 2020 and the COVID shutdown: I was in grad school full time and was working on classwork online and looking for something to do outside, I tried adult softball and baseball leagues and had some fun with that but found that waiting a week between games was too long and boring so I kept looking. Somehow I found myself diving into YouTube golf (that was just coming alive at the time) and started really enjoying watching channels like Good Good and Rick Shiels, since there were no live sports at the time. So, during that time I fell in love with golf. I graduated from grad school and when I started working I got a set of clubs and started to play a little bit, then a year later a joined the Stillwater Country Club in the Spring of 2022. Since then I have played over 120 rounds each year, this year my goal is 150+ (and I'm on track) and I have gone from a 20+ handicap down as low as 7.4 (currently 11... whoops)! I am no pro, but I do try to compete in at least 1 tournament a month (usually 2) and spend about 10-12 hours a week practicing different areas of my golf game.

My wife and I have 1 child together, he was born earlier this year. The three of us live on the golf course (literally, our backyard is a par 5 fairway) and between playing golf, pickleball and the pool we spend nearly all our time at the Country Club. Outside of golf, I love football, baseball, the OKC Thunder, and drinking good bourbon and beer! 

IMG_1750.JPG.2ec738986639b55b590476482a155c6f.JPG

What I ordered: For this test I will be testing the Sub70 Pro V2 Fairway 7 Wood with a Stiff Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 70g shaft. Currently, I play a Sub70 699 V2 Utility 4 iron (20° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g) and though I really like the club, I think a 7 wood might be a better fit for that spot in my bag with more ability to spin and a more drastic landing angle, giving me a much better chance to hit and hold a green when hitting into a par 5. 

What I will be looking for: As I mentioned before, I will be looking for this club to upgrade from my utility iron (20*, 220 carry) with similar carry distance but more spin and forgiveness distance wise. This club will be tested both off the deck and off the tee, as I regularly hit my Utility Iron on short par 4s or holes with drastic dog legs where I can't cut the corner off the tee with a wood. Lastly, I will look at how forgiving this club is and whether or not I am able to work it both left and right while maintaining confidence in the distance and control. My expectations are high, but I really think Sub70 could hit the mark here. 

FINAL REVIEW

Looks

The Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood exudes confidence with its all-black look, a design choice that sets the tone even before you take a swing. The matte black finish, combined with the blacked-out sole, not only looks sleek and modern but also minimizes distractions, allowing you to focus entirely on your shot. From above, the face appears larger and more approachable, making it easy to feel comfortable standing over the ball. This big, inviting face might just be the highlight of the club, offering a sense of reassurance that you’re about to make solid contact. The overall aesthetic of the 699 Pro V2 is both bold and refined, giving you the confidence to perform your best.

20/20

IMG_1888.jpeg.fa2ea9ea65dbc06cff6d9bc8a738b31d.jpegIMG_1884.jpeg.6a5b0fa68423447fa0e9cb2548e4c67b.jpegIMG_1892.jpeg.d0fac1ff7618c9880f2023195d9b6837.jpegIMG_1881.jpeg.0337da60b5db09207f0b3f6fcfc78eb7.jpegIMG_1882.jpeg.97c0f0660971adf89f6ef285e6382e02.jpegIMG_1883.jpeg.229fab243cb7d64be5ce1eeefba7a9aa.jpeg

Performance (fit into bag and numbers)

The Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood delivers impressive distance control, which is one of its standout features. Even on shots missed slightly off-center, the club consistently carried nearly the same distance as perfectly struck shots. This level of distance retention is a significant advantage, particularly for those who prioritize consistency in their long game. My carry distance with the 7-wood was practically the same as my utility 4 iron which is 220-225. However, my 699 Pro V2 7-wood didn't roll out near as much and better filled the gap in my bag between 3-wood and 5 iron.

I found that the club’s trajectory and left/right dispersion were less predictable when compared to the distance control. Despite my natural tendency to hit a slight draw off the tee, the 699 Pro V2 seemed more inclined to fade unless I consciously forced it into a draw. While I appreciated the results when I managed to get it to draw, the fact that the club wasn't naturally forgiving in this aspect posed a challenge. The lack of a consistent, small left/right dispersion is concerning, especially for a club that I plan to use frequently when hitting into greens. The need to actively manage the shot shape to avoid a fade detracted from the overall confidence I had in the club’s performance.

I did enjoy the ability to hit some half shots, keeping the ball low and manipulating the face to hit it left or right as a “rescue” type of shot. This club is really good for that, which is an excellent trait as for many (including myself) you will be taking out either a long iron or hybrid to put this club in the bag. I’m confident that it can replace those rescue clubs based on my testing.

13/20

IMG_1893.jpeg.a3f60b6b7e768498dc5380ec850bace5.jpeg

On the course (feel and utility)

On the course, the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood has proven to be unreliable, particularly when it comes to shot height and the potential for a fade miss. This unpredictability has significantly impacted my confidence in using the club, especially off the tee. The inconsistency in height meant that I never felt sure whether the ball would fly as intended, adding a layer of doubt before each swing. Often times, when I’m hitting a fairway wood rather than an iron it is because I need to ball to get up quickly to clean an obstacle, I found the 699 Pro V2 unable to consistently produce that shot. The recurring issue of a fade miss, despite my natural draw tendency, was even more frustrating. In one MGA tournament round a month ago I put the ball OB with the club 3 times in one round hitting an unexpected fade.

In the six weeks I've had the club, I found myself reaching for it less and less during my rounds. After being "burned" by that fade miss more than once, I started to lose trust in the club's ability to perform under pressure. This culminated last weekend during our member-member event, where I decided to remove the Sub70 Pro V2 7-wood from my bag altogether before the tournament began. The combination of unreliable shot height and a fade miss that I couldn’t consistently control made it a liability rather than an asset on the course.

11/20

What’s good and what’s not?

Pros:

• Confidence-boosting looks: The all-black design with a blacked-out sole and a large, approachable face inspires confidence at address.
  • Excellent distance control: Even on off-center hits, the club maintains consistent distance, providing reliability in terms of carry.
  • Utility shots: I enjoyed the ability to choke down on the club a little and have some more control with rescue shots. Hitting 3/4 speed shots was actually a strong suit of this fairway wood, something I wouldn't say about other fairway woods I have played.
  • Hitting the ball from the rough: The 699 Pro V2 is actually really good at digging into the deep grass and hitting the ball solid without it just rolling up the face and coming out as a "pop fly". 
  • The club face wears well: if you look at the photo below this section you will see the face of my 7 wood. This is after probably 200-300 range balls and many rounds on the course. I wish all clubs "wore" this well honestly.

Cons:

• Inconsistent trajectory: The club’s unpredictable shot height makes it challenging to trust in various on-course situations.
  • Unreliable shot shape: Despite a natural draw tendency, the club often wants to fade, leading to a lack of confidence, especially off the tee.
  • Limited forgiveness: The need to force the club into a draw to avoid a fade miss detracts from its ease of use and overall reliability.
  • Not loft/lie angle adjustable: I really think that if there was a hosel adjustment option on this club and I could close the face a smidge it would be a great club for me... but it doesn't.

13/20

IMG_1887.jpeg.b0cc6d39a972b4a9297853c41bd2228d.jpegIMG_1885.jpeg.8be019ad9042c3d19136cd3e45db82c6.jpeg

Play it or store it?

I’ve decided not to keep the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood in my bag for now, mainly due to its inconsistency in trajectory and shot shape, which has eroded my confidence in using it during rounds. The club’s tendency to produce a fade, despite my natural draw, combined with the unpredictable shot height, makes it too unreliable for regular play, especially when accuracy is crucial for hitting greens. Additionally, the lack of loft or lie adjustment on the hosel limits my ability to fine-tune the club to suit my game, and the mixed results from adjusting the front/back weights haven’t resolved the issues.

That said, I recognize the club’s strengths, particularly its ability to hit utility or rescue shots and its performance from the rough. Because of these redeeming qualities, I’m not giving up on it entirely. I’ll be keeping the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood in storage and may revisit it in the future, especially in scenarios where its specific strengths could be beneficial.

11/20

Overall score

68/100

Conclusion

The Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood is a club that showcases both promise and frustration. Its sleek all-black design, complemented by a large and inviting face, provides a confidence boost at address. The club’s distance control is another highlight, with even off-center hits carrying almost as far as perfectly struck shots. Additionally, its versatility in hitting utility or rescue shots from the rough adds value to its overall performance.

However, these strengths are overshadowed by significant inconsistencies that make it difficult to rely on this club for regular play. The trajectory and shot shape were unpredictable, with the club frequently producing a fade despite my natural draw tendency. This unpredictability, especially when hitting off the tee, led to a severe lack of confidence and ultimately caused me to remove the club from my bag, particularly in competitive situations where dependability is critical.

I tried to dial in the club’s performance by experimenting with different weight combinations in the front and back ports, hoping to find a setup that would address these issues. Unfortunately, each new combination seemed to introduce a new problem. The best setup for me was with a 4-gram weight in the front and a 6-gram weight in the back. This combination offered the most balanced performance, but even then, it wasn’t without its drawbacks. Adding more weight to the front lowered the trajectory too much, making it even harder to trust the club in various situations.

Given these challenges, I’ve decided that the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood won’t be part of my current lineup. However, I’m not ready to give up on it entirely. Its strengths, particularly in certain rescue and rough situations, warrant keeping it in storage for potential future use. I may revisit it down the line, perhaps in scenarios where its specific attributes can be put to good use. For now, though, the club’s inconsistent performance and my inability to fully tame its quirks have led to an overall score of 67/100.

IMG_1889.jpeg

My final review is up! Hit me with your questions, I'm here to help the people of MGS!

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | Mini Driver: TM.png.c0139570dc94d722d029a0fd7eb7a29d.png BRNR Mini Copper (Kai’Li Blue 70g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: 70.png.1ae5bfad62a351abc53782dad3047968.png 699 v2 Utility (20° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g) | Irons: Callaway_Golf_Company_logo_svg.png.6bb103045bcd0cbd0a94f4616a97a811.png Ai Smoke 5-AW (Project X Denali Black) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (DG  Tour Series S400) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double-Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Baseball player turned golf addict. 

My final review is up. I had a great time testing this 7-wood. Reach out if you have any more questions

Driver: Paradym X

3-wood: Rouge st Max D

Hybrid: Callaway super hybrid 17*

Irons: 5-Aw Callaway A.I. Smoke 

Wedge: Calaway A  (from the 90s)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot 330 Mallet

On 7/23/2024 at 3:20 PM, Dcfrench3 said:

When I was initially putting in my order for this club the website had said the club should take 1-2 weeks to be delivered. I had a rep reach out to me as I had input the wrong shaft model and they wanted to verify the correct one. Once my order was verified it took 6 days for the club to be delivered. I unfortunately, was actually hoping for a later delivery date and for them to not be so prompt as I was going to be out of town for the next 10 days, so when I found out it was being delivered, I was super excited they were on top of it and sad I wasn’t going to be there when the club was delivered. I had a neighbor grab the club off my porch and I felt like a kid awaiting Christmas day the whole time during my trip knowing I get to open my present when I get home.

20240721_160315.jpg.9dc9f42d8b6228f5fe7ba919dd51f038.jpg

20240721_160327.jpg.28dfd89ba011699c1d42697e5b2db024.jpg

The first thing I would like to comment on is the presentation of the box. All black with the company’s logo on it. This really set the mood before I even opened it. I felt I was opening a tactical new arsenal tool. My only comparison is from when I had my Callaway Ai Paradym driver delivered in which they just had a plain cardboard box wit the name Callaway on it. Still exciting to get a new club, but I feel as though the small touch of the designed box really made it just that more special.

20240721_160433.jpg.d78f342b3bc17b0373c0035f557d7ba5.jpg20240721_160746.jpg.62c2dd4dc61ea4b54ac0d4eadee83b60.jpg

Opening the box I was greeted with my new club, paperwork confirming my order and a branded pouch. The club was secured with foam so it wouldn’t move around. I opened the bag to see what was inside. A driver adjustment tool and a bunch of small weights to adjust the club (4g, 6g, 8g, 10g). I was a little disappointed because I had seen some of the other reviewers get a Sub70 ball marker. I’m not sure if this was a mistake or if you don’t get one with the 3w vs the 7w. There was a small defect for the label on the driver adjustment tool which was partially coming off. In my opinion, this is negligible, but thought it should be pointed out.

20240721_161221.jpg.d09b94440062037217b93f02d8c9a05c.jpg20240721_161227.jpg.da602ff18ace7d4790249b15cabc17d6.jpg

I inspected the club for any defects and found none. The first word that came to my mind is this club is sharp looking. I went with a black shaft so the all black made it look really slick.

20240721_161303.jpg.f2312fffffe37cc6f1de0101e02a08e9.jpg20240721_161333.jpg.d5e7af9a457c359daa74986b4fe54a9a.jpg20240721_161408.jpg.ffb297b52d27057a381c08874b4786f3.jpg20240721_161939.jpg.35e18a85b12b726470631be92f1899ae.jpg20240721_181126.jpg.81110f2c881f2d1b19f460668e6fd94e.jpg

Taking hold of the club it feels very well put together. I took out the pre-installed weights and found that a 2g was installed near the club face and the 9g was installed in the rear end. Having read other reviews and hearing that they have been having some fade to their shots I decided to switch the weights to what I thought might assist with correcting the shot. I put the 10g near the clubface and the 2g near the rear. I’m looking forward to seeing how this will handle after the adjustment. I took some practice swings in my yard and it seemed as though the club face was pointing straight. I am planning to switch the weights around during my testing on the range and I will make sure to post my thoughts on the adjustments.

I’m going to attempt to go hit some balls at TopGolf either this week or next week. My plan is to warm up for a bit, hit some balls with my current 3 wood, then switch over the ProV2 with my current weights for a round. After that I’m going to switch around the weights based on what my balls were hitting like. If I still have time I was going to hit another round with my original 3 wood just to see if I was still warming up with the 3 wood. Depending on the time factor, I will also be testing the ProV2 wood off the matt. My first field testing will be on 8/3/24 playing at Red Hawke Golf course in Castle Rock. I will post updates after each of my tests.

20240721_160851.jpg

Is this seriously how the ferrule came on your club?? 😬😬

It doesn't fit the outside diameter of the hosel and looks awful! 

Screenshot_20240824_070615_Brave.jpg

My bag is a revolving door!

On 7/8/2024 at 11:14 PM, Cannon Safe said:

Sub70 ProV2 7 Wood – Official MGS Forum Review by Cannon Safe

Hey there everyone, Cannon Safe here. I am extremely excited to have been selected for this test. This is my first time writing any type of review that wasn’t some mandatory writing assignment in school.

About me

I was introduced to the sport at a young age and loved the idea of golf. My parents made me choose between golf and hockey, and hockey won. I played off and on in my teenage years, mostly just going to the driving range with friends to try to cream the ball as hard as possible. Fast forward to my early twenties, I met an old timer who got me into the game and that’s when my passion took off. I played multiple times a week with him for about two years. He helped shape my skill, taught me the etiquette, and a little about the money side of the game.

I joined the military and only played once during my time in. While deployed, a buddy got in touch with a non-profit that sent us some clubs and balls. We got a lot of practice in the sand, which reignited my love for the game. After my service, I moved to Alaska with my now wife. For the first eight years, I only got to play a handful of times. Last summer, I dove headfirst back into the game. I took some lessons, spent way too much time at the range, and developed a completely normal obsession.

golf.jpg.598b5413b6d6d5a9788e854e3c2ca08e.jpg

Playing in Alaska has its perks. The views are amazing, and you never know when a moose or bear may appear. The biggest cons of golfing in Alaska are the long winters, short summers, and the wind, which can be brutal at times.

I have been golfing seriously for about three years, with a renewed focus last summer. I joined the VGA this summer but aside from those tournaments, I play charity scrambles, a two-man scramble league, and just casually but always with a bit of competition. I have an official handicap for the first time, starting at 24 and working my way down to 21 so far. My goal is to break 90 by the end of the season.

What I ordered: I went with the Pro V2 7 Wood with everything standard and a stiff Project x HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70G shaft and a midsize grip. 

I plan to test this product both on the course from all lies and on the tee and at the range with my MLM2Pro. I want to see what distance I can hit accurately and consistently. My home course plays pretty long for me, so I'm looking for a club that can fill the gap between my 3 wood, super hybrid 19°, and 5 iron.

While I don’t have another 7 wood or even a 5 wood to directly compare it to, I recently tried the A.I. Smoke and Ping g430 7 woods at a demo day, so those experiences are fresh in my mind. I’ll be directly comparing it to my Super Hybrid and 5 Iron, as those are the two clubs I currently reach for when needing this distance.

Should it stay or should it go: Not much is required to keep the club in my bag. It’s more about how much it will be used after testing. If I’m able to produce a semi-repeatable shot in the situations I regularly find myself in, it’ll stay and be played.

I’ve heard a lot of good and excitement about Sub70 but have a hard time purchasing without first trying a product. Being in Alaska, we don’t have big box stores to try multiple models. The shops at the courses usually only have one brand for their demos, so we wait for reps to host demo days once a season. This opportunity couldn’t have come at a better time. I tend to over-research a product and create unrealistic expectations. So for this review, I’m going to let the product speak for itself. I am expecting a well-thought-out and high-quality product. I believe this is more of a “player” head, and with my current ability, it will be a great test of its forgiveness that most mid/upper index players rely on.

Looks 20/20

This club is a beaut. I'm naturally attracted to darker color schemes and this club nailed it for me. From first look it made me feel like I would be able to hit pure shot after pure shot (that didn't happen) with confidence. This thing is beautiful to stand over. I typically like having an alignment mark but this gives me enough confidence that I don’t miss it. The carbon fiber crown combined with the black-on-black badging on the base make this really appealing to me. Compared to similar Callaway and Ping woods I recently swung, looks-wise, this wins.

20240721_160459.jpg.2c1d27b9eaa8fd6d7e4b9e7ee2bbd22d.jpg20240721_160632.jpg.b81c3f49db0e9c3e46239072c07804fe.jpg20240721_160605.jpg.0802bb74b34b28331947c7333f9ac952.jpg

I did find myself enjoying the sound off the face when I hit a decent shot. A very smooth sound that was noticeably different when mishit which has a dull sound to me. 

Performance 14/20

I had high hopes for the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood. The claims of consistent high launch - soft landing was just what I was looking for in a 7-wood. However, that was not my experience with this club. I'm not blind to the fact that I am an upper handicapped player and a lot of my inconsistencies are my own doing. I felt that I was able to reproduce good contact on several shots but was unable to obtain a predictable ball flight. When it would fly high and long, I fell in love with the club if only for a moment. My distance on the range wasn't the same on the course, I blame poor range balls and lumpy mats. 

I was a little worried heading into this testing, being a 22 index. Most "Pro" versions of a club put less on forgiveness and more on the ability to shot shape. I was hopeful the forgiveness would still be there, but that wasn't the case for me.  I had several sessions in front of my launch monitor and I ended up needing to delete a lot of horrible shots to try to find more realistic data. I know that says more about me than the club, but it was drastically more frequent than my comparable hybrid. I would safely say I swing as bad as I have with the 7-wood. I was hoping this club would fit between my 3 wood and hybrid as my 185-200 soft landing club. At times I was able to produce that result but not frequently. The numbers below show the Pro V2 outperformed my hybrid, and to an extent, I believe it. However, in the past 5 weeks we've had a lot of rain, and using my launch monitor outdoors was a no-go. So I only had a dozen or so mediocre shots with my hybrid recorded. On a good swing, I get around 205 yards carry with some rollout. 

compare.JPG.d91971a8e04da5738435ca25ad3c83ae.JPG

What I can confidently say these numbers prove is the lack of height and soft landing I was seeing with the Sub70, with consistent 20-yard rollouts. 

Like some of the other testers and I have mentioned, this club was fade bias from the start. I would be able to hit fairly straight shots but more often than not, a fade would appear. I have tried to adjust my aim to play it more accurately, and it has worked to a degree. However, again with the lack of predictability, my target often having some type of trouble or obstacle on the left, has made it difficult to trust pulling this club out when I would really want to. 

If I were a better wood player and had similar results, I would have deducted a couple more points. I can't in good conscience put all the blame on the club. 

On-Course 15/20

I was very excited to get on my home course with this club. There are some 185-210 yard par 3s and several long holes that can play longer with the wind we get.

Exhibit A Wind.jpg.5a38fb7e89624863ea550c56732d737d.jpg

I played a couple of rounds before I had a really good range session, I have a naturally fade bias swing with a left to right flight ranging from 2-10 yards side carry. In my first few attempts on the course, I was seeing 10-20+ yards of side carry. I had to adjust my swing to make it more manageable. I did not find myself trusting the club on money holes or when I needed x amount to carry a hazard. I used the club more on my practice rounds and I will say I'm starting to see a little improvement on the course. I was able to reproduce a couple of good shots today, both off the deck and from the tee. Then I had a shot that I felt was struck well and flew high and straight but the distance was very short. I did gain some confidence with it as a rescue. When the ball is slightly above my feet and in the rough, I got some very good results. 

My hopes were that the Pro V2 7-wood would help me attack the course better, but I can't say that my scores improved, equally,  I can't say they got worse either due to using it. I would have liked to feel more forgiveness from the club on off-center hits.

The Good and the Bad 12/20

Pros:

• The looks are hard to beat. The black-on-black was done perfectly
  • Feels good to swing
  • Multiple weights and tool to adjust to the individual
  • Felt great as a rescue club

Cons

• Inconsistent ball launch
  • Lack of forgiveness
  • Difficult to control shot shape
  • No loft/lie hosel adjustment

Play it or Trade it? 15/20

For now, the Sub70 Pro V2 7-wood will stay in the bag. I'm not giving up on it just yet. I know my displeasure with the club can be linked to poor swings and I have faith that I will be able to produce some sort of consistency with it with enough practice. We have a short season to play here in Alaska, my goal for the winter is to set up my launch monitor in my garage and work on it. Hopefully the wife doesn't mind parking outside. I feel this club was made for lower index players and if I were to choose to purchase a new 7-wood with my knowledge gained from this test, I would likely go another route with a club that has more focus on forgiveness. 

Conclusion

I was very excited to be chosen for this test. I've been contemplating a 7-wood for some time and I had high hopes for the Sub70. The inconsistent ball flight, less forgiveness that I needed, and the difficulty I had reproducing shots outweighed the beautiful looks and design this club offered me. I didn't notice any difference with the dual-walled face compared to any other wood I've hit either. It will stay in the bag till I can't take it anymore, get great with it, or replace it with a more forgiving model. 

Final Score 76/100

20240721_160646.jpg

I will say that I am a bit relieved to see that our reviews mentioned many of the same drawbacks of the 699 Pro V2. I'm glad to not be alone in my criticism haha.

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | Mini Driver: TM.png.c0139570dc94d722d029a0fd7eb7a29d.png BRNR Mini Copper (Kai’Li Blue 70g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: 70.png.1ae5bfad62a351abc53782dad3047968.png 699 v2 Utility (20° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g) | Irons: Callaway_Golf_Company_logo_svg.png.6bb103045bcd0cbd0a94f4616a97a811.png Ai Smoke 5-AW (Project X Denali Black) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (DG  Tour Series S400) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double-Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Forgot to bump the thread earlier, but my final review is posted! 

6 hours ago, J7Hawkins said:

I will say that I am a bit relieved to see that our reviews mentioned many of the same drawbacks of the 699 Pro V2. I'm glad to not be alone in my criticism haha.

Oh man me too. I was worried it was only me and must be solely my skill letting the club down. 

Driver: Paradym X

3-wood: Rouge st Max D

Hybrid: Callaway super hybrid 17*

Irons: 5-Aw Callaway A.I. Smoke 

Wedge: Calaway A  (from the 90s)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot 330 Mallet

Thank you guys for the honest reviews! Often I wonder if people are so stoked to get the free clubs that they fall in love with it and overlook how they actually feel about it, but you guys really shared your concerns.

Good job choosing the testers, MGS!

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 8/27/2024 at 7:52 PM, WilliamYates said:

Thank you guys for the honest reviews! Often I wonder if people are so stoked to get the free clubs that they fall in love with it and overlook how they actually feel about it, but you guys really shared your concerns.

Good job choosing the testers, MGS!

I appreciate the kind words, @WilliamYates! I would have liked to give Sub 70 a better review here because I like their company and I think their products as a whole are awesome, especially at their price point. However, this club just didn't meet my standards. Definitely don't rule out all of their products because of this test though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 9:14 PM, J7Hawkins said:

Hey everyone! I'm super excited to be posting this introduction for what will be my 2nd test on the MGS forum (Clicgear 4.0 Review) and my first time reviewing a club!

A little about me: I'm now in my late 20s and have been playing golf for nearly 4 years. I grew up playing baseball and traveled the Southern US playing the sport I love so I never really had the time to play golf growing up, and the closest course to the small town where I grew up was about an hour away. Fast forward to 2020 and the COVID shutdown: I was in grad school full time and was working on classwork online and looking for something to do outside, I tried adult softball and baseball leagues and had some fun with that but found that waiting a week between games was too long and boring so I kept looking. Somehow I found myself diving into YouTube golf (that was just coming alive at the time) and started really enjoying watching channels like Good Good and Rick Shiels, since there were no live sports at the time. So, during that time I fell in love with golf. I graduated from grad school and when I started working I got a set of clubs and started to play a little bit, then a year later a joined the Stillwater Country Club in the Spring of 2022. Since then I have played over 120 rounds each year, this year my goal is 150+ (and I'm on track) and I have gone from a 20+ handicap down as low as 7.4 (currently 11... whoops)! I am no pro, but I do try to compete in at least 1 tournament a month (usually 2) and spend about 10-12 hours a week practicing different areas of my golf game.

My wife and I have 1 child together, he was born earlier this year. The three of us live on the golf course (literally, our backyard is a par 5 fairway) and between playing golf, pickleball and the pool we spend nearly all our time at the Country Club. Outside of golf, I love football, baseball, the OKC Thunder, and drinking good bourbon and beer! 

IMG_1750.JPG.2ec738986639b55b590476482a155c6f.JPG

What I ordered: For this test I will be testing the Sub70 Pro V2 Fairway 7 Wood with a Stiff Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 70g shaft. Currently, I play a Sub70 699 V2 Utility 4 iron (20° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g) and though I really like the club, I think a 7 wood might be a better fit for that spot in my bag with more ability to spin and a more drastic landing angle, giving me a much better chance to hit and hold a green when hitting into a par 5. 

What I will be looking for: As I mentioned before, I will be looking for this club to upgrade from my utility iron (20*, 220 carry) with similar carry distance but more spin and forgiveness distance wise. This club will be tested both off the deck and off the tee, as I regularly hit my Utility Iron on short par 4s or holes with drastic dog legs where I can't cut the corner off the tee with a wood. Lastly, I will look at how forgiving this club is and whether or not I am able to work it both left and right while maintaining confidence in the distance and control. My expectations are high, but I really think Sub70 could hit the mark here. 

FINAL REVIEW

Looks

The Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood exudes confidence with its all-black look, a design choice that sets the tone even before you take a swing. The matte black finish, combined with the blacked-out sole, not only looks sleek and modern but also minimizes distractions, allowing you to focus entirely on your shot. From above, the face appears larger and more approachable, making it easy to feel comfortable standing over the ball. This big, inviting face might just be the highlight of the club, offering a sense of reassurance that you’re about to make solid contact. The overall aesthetic of the 699 Pro V2 is both bold and refined, giving you the confidence to perform your best.

20/20

IMG_1888.jpeg.fa2ea9ea65dbc06cff6d9bc8a738b31d.jpegIMG_1884.jpeg.6a5b0fa68423447fa0e9cb2548e4c67b.jpegIMG_1892.jpeg.d0fac1ff7618c9880f2023195d9b6837.jpegIMG_1881.jpeg.0337da60b5db09207f0b3f6fcfc78eb7.jpegIMG_1882.jpeg.97c0f0660971adf89f6ef285e6382e02.jpegIMG_1883.jpeg.229fab243cb7d64be5ce1eeefba7a9aa.jpeg

Performance (fit into bag and numbers)

The Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood delivers impressive distance control, which is one of its standout features. Even on shots missed slightly off-center, the club consistently carried nearly the same distance as perfectly struck shots. This level of distance retention is a significant advantage, particularly for those who prioritize consistency in their long game. My carry distance with the 7-wood was practically the same as my utility 4 iron which is 220-225. However, my 699 Pro V2 7-wood didn't roll out near as much and better filled the gap in my bag between 3-wood and 5 iron.

I found that the club’s trajectory and left/right dispersion were less predictable when compared to the distance control. Despite my natural tendency to hit a slight draw off the tee, the 699 Pro V2 seemed more inclined to fade unless I consciously forced it into a draw. While I appreciated the results when I managed to get it to draw, the fact that the club wasn't naturally forgiving in this aspect posed a challenge. The lack of a consistent, small left/right dispersion is concerning, especially for a club that I plan to use frequently when hitting into greens. The need to actively manage the shot shape to avoid a fade detracted from the overall confidence I had in the club’s performance.

I did enjoy the ability to hit some half shots, keeping the ball low and manipulating the face to hit it left or right as a “rescue” type of shot. This club is really good for that, which is an excellent trait as for many (including myself) you will be taking out either a long iron or hybrid to put this club in the bag. I’m confident that it can replace those rescue clubs based on my testing.

13/20

IMG_1893.jpeg.a3f60b6b7e768498dc5380ec850bace5.jpeg

On the course (feel and utility)

On the course, the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood has proven to be unreliable, particularly when it comes to shot height and the potential for a fade miss. This unpredictability has significantly impacted my confidence in using the club, especially off the tee. The inconsistency in height meant that I never felt sure whether the ball would fly as intended, adding a layer of doubt before each swing. Often times, when I’m hitting a fairway wood rather than an iron it is because I need to ball to get up quickly to clean an obstacle, I found the 699 Pro V2 unable to consistently produce that shot. The recurring issue of a fade miss, despite my natural draw tendency, was even more frustrating. In one MGA tournament round a month ago I put the ball OB with the club 3 times in one round hitting an unexpected fade.

In the six weeks I've had the club, I found myself reaching for it less and less during my rounds. After being "burned" by that fade miss more than once, I started to lose trust in the club's ability to perform under pressure. This culminated last weekend during our member-member event, where I decided to remove the Sub70 Pro V2 7-wood from my bag altogether before the tournament began. The combination of unreliable shot height and a fade miss that I couldn’t consistently control made it a liability rather than an asset on the course.

11/20

What’s good and what’s not?

Pros:

• Confidence-boosting looks: The all-black design with a blacked-out sole and a large, approachable face inspires confidence at address.
  • Excellent distance control: Even on off-center hits, the club maintains consistent distance, providing reliability in terms of carry.
  • Utility shots: I enjoyed the ability to choke down on the club a little and have some more control with rescue shots. Hitting 3/4 speed shots was actually a strong suit of this fairway wood, something I wouldn't say about other fairway woods I have played.
  • Hitting the ball from the rough: The 699 Pro V2 is actually really good at digging into the deep grass and hitting the ball solid without it just rolling up the face and coming out as a "pop fly". 
  • The club face wears well: if you look at the photo below this section you will see the face of my 7 wood. This is after probably 200-300 range balls and many rounds on the course. I wish all clubs "wore" this well honestly.

Cons:

• Inconsistent trajectory: The club’s unpredictable shot height makes it challenging to trust in various on-course situations.
  • Unreliable shot shape: Despite a natural draw tendency, the club often wants to fade, leading to a lack of confidence, especially off the tee.
  • Limited forgiveness: The need to force the club into a draw to avoid a fade miss detracts from its ease of use and overall reliability.
  • Not loft/lie angle adjustable: I really think that if there was a hosel adjustment option on this club and I could close the face a smidge it would be a great club for me... but it doesn't.

13/20

IMG_1887.jpeg.b0cc6d39a972b4a9297853c41bd2228d.jpegIMG_1885.jpeg.8be019ad9042c3d19136cd3e45db82c6.jpeg

Play it or store it?

I’ve decided not to keep the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood in my bag for now, mainly due to its inconsistency in trajectory and shot shape, which has eroded my confidence in using it during rounds. The club’s tendency to produce a fade, despite my natural draw, combined with the unpredictable shot height, makes it too unreliable for regular play, especially when accuracy is crucial for hitting greens. Additionally, the lack of loft or lie adjustment on the hosel limits my ability to fine-tune the club to suit my game, and the mixed results from adjusting the front/back weights haven’t resolved the issues.

That said, I recognize the club’s strengths, particularly its ability to hit utility or rescue shots and its performance from the rough. Because of these redeeming qualities, I’m not giving up on it entirely. I’ll be keeping the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood in storage and may revisit it in the future, especially in scenarios where its specific strengths could be beneficial.

11/20

Overall score

68/100

Conclusion

The Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood is a club that showcases both promise and frustration. Its sleek all-black design, complemented by a large and inviting face, provides a confidence boost at address. The club’s distance control is another highlight, with even off-center hits carrying almost as far as perfectly struck shots. Additionally, its versatility in hitting utility or rescue shots from the rough adds value to its overall performance.

However, these strengths are overshadowed by significant inconsistencies that make it difficult to rely on this club for regular play. The trajectory and shot shape were unpredictable, with the club frequently producing a fade despite my natural draw tendency. This unpredictability, especially when hitting off the tee, led to a severe lack of confidence and ultimately caused me to remove the club from my bag, particularly in competitive situations where dependability is critical.

I tried to dial in the club’s performance by experimenting with different weight combinations in the front and back ports, hoping to find a setup that would address these issues. Unfortunately, each new combination seemed to introduce a new problem. The best setup for me was with a 4-gram weight in the front and a 6-gram weight in the back. This combination offered the most balanced performance, but even then, it wasn’t without its drawbacks. Adding more weight to the front lowered the trajectory too much, making it even harder to trust the club in various situations.

Given these challenges, I’ve decided that the Sub70 699 Pro V2 7-wood won’t be part of my current lineup. However, I’m not ready to give up on it entirely. Its strengths, particularly in certain rescue and rough situations, warrant keeping it in storage for potential future use. I may revisit it down the line, perhaps in scenarios where its specific attributes can be put to good use. For now, though, the club’s inconsistent performance and my inability to fully tame its quirks have led to an overall score of 67/100.

IMG_1889.jpeg

Very good review and it is too bad to hear that the club didn't perform very well.  I am a Sub 70 fan and really enjoy my 949x 4 wood as well as my irons and wedges.  I really like the look of the Pro V2 but now I am a little hesitant.  Maybe I will wait and see if I can find one on sale or even a used club.

Driver      PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png      G400 Max 10.5 - Project X Even Flow Riptide CB 70g 6.5 Extra Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4W         949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
Hybrid     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       50 JB Forged Wedge Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       54 TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png                 LW       60 JB Forged Satin Wedge - Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 Steel
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg              L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS or Tour B X
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black
Glove   RedRoosterLogo.png.8ab7e5022e0052c04f2a8a208b191ceb.png