TPT putter shaft for L.A.B.  – Is it the crème de la crème or simply just a very good and expensive putter shaft?

In my testing of the L.A.B. DF3, I found the combination of the DF3 head with the excellent TPT putter shaft to be an exceptional combination together. After testing and 20 rounds of play, I found the TPT shaft to be very smooth, precise with a firmer feel providing exceptional feel and feedback.  I would highly recommend it, BUT it is not for the faint of heart as the cost of the shaft is $399.  Is it worth it?  In a word, it depends on what you are looking for.   It is, an exceptional shaft/putter combination, highly recommended for those that value performance, precision, feel and feedback and have the budget for it.    Overall score, 96.6/100

image.png.7ab01c7466c37a7e892588766ec78b85.png

Disclaimer: I’m no stranger to aftermarket putter shafts, having used a BGT Stability shaft in my putters for 5 plus years after putter testing/fitting at TXG.  For further information see the following review on BGT Stability: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63885-the-stability-putter-shaft-and-why-you-need-it-or-do-you-–-unofficial-review/  It went into the bag at that time because of performance and feel.  So, I was keen to test the TPT shaft knowing what a high quality, very low torque putter shaft can offer.

Who is TPT: TPT, (Thin Ply Technology). is a Swiss company and the parent company NTPT pioneered thin ply technology using carbon fiber.  It has its origins in making and shaping carbon fiber into sails that maintained their shape, specifically for America’s Cup yacht racing.  So, it started with carbon fiber sails and then masts.  They then expanded to Formula 1 to lighten bodywork as well as enhancing structural components, thereby elevating performance.  TPT moved their innovative carbon fiber processes to other industries, automotive, aerospace, aviation, snow sports and golf.  TPT Golf launched in 2017. They construct their own prepreg (carbon fiber fabric that has been pre impregnated with a resin system, usually epoxy) from the best available fibers and then form it into structures.

Most golf shafts are hand wrapped resulting in slight shaft to shaft variance. TPT shafts are made using a CNC (computerized numerical control) wrapped around the shaft mandrel in an automated process to ensure there are no overlaps or seams in its shafts (see Figure 1).  Fibers are applied “on axis”, so they work together essentially like a one piece construction.. This eliminates shaft to shaft variations. 

Figure 1  image.png.b346a0a10376fa14bf55c70e9b088782.png

The result is a seamless shaft with uniform stiffness in all orientations. 

image.png.89cc049ca993b0ee21a723d90f51c5f6.png

image.png.861cb10b15ff8255f5af10eb6dcf1a06.png 

image.png.b11b9c3fb1982c9e50465cb2f822f5cd.png

End result  image.png.c024e9bf767ef2c7ec51c4eaf031122f.png

TPT putter shafts – What makes them unique

The use of advanced manufacturing techniques and high quality carbon fiber materials resulting in a blend of technology, stability and consistency.  For the same weight as a steel shaft, you are getting a much stiffer shaft with significantly less torque.  TPT claims, this allows for enhanced speed control, forgiveness resulting in smoother and more controlled putts.  Most other shafts are made by hand from multiple sheets of carbon fiber.  Feedback is clear, providing superb and immediate feedback.  It’s ultra stiff with a great deal of consistency

image.png.ec06d561126834c5b1a116352e104a8a.png  

image.png.6bd054259ea699648f40455fda193fc3.png

So is it One of the best putter shafts you can get?  How does it perform?

Performance

The TPT shaft combined with the L.A.B. DF3 putter head, provided exceptional face control as tested on Quintic.  The LAB/TPT  did exceptionally well with face angle control giving elite tour level readings (< 0.5 degrees). Also launch, roll and spin were all very good. It consistently resulted in an almost square face at impact, highlighted by the following with the DF3/TPT demonstrating a tour level face angle of 0.17.  This would equate to me making a 30 foot putt.

image.png.2ae6613729950379339a552312f0bb54.png

I compared, contrasted and scored the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combination against my gamer, the Evnroll Tourstroke with BGT stability shaft and Evnroll gravity grip.  The performance of both, both on and off the course were very good.  However, the L.A.B./TPT was slightly better in almost all categories.  Biggest difference was in face control.  The Evnroll was excellent as measured by Quintic, the L.A.B. was exceptional with even better face control. Putts tracked along there intended line like a heat seeking missile.  It is truly a potential long range bomber in that I’ve nearly holed out 40, 50 and 60 footers leaving a tap in for a two putt which given the length of those putts are prime three putt territory.   

Over 20 rounds of play, I saw an increase of 0.8 strokes in putting (Arccos – strokes gained) with the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combination

image.png.60f720ee5ad393c8b549bcbbcec35b9e.png

image.png.1ba4cad5d446dc20da99d9382a13976a.png

I then had an interesting conversation with my coach regarding the L.A.B. putters and shaft options.  He has the stock DF3, 34”, 69* lie in black with the steel shaft, so he compared it to my 35.5”, 69* lie DF3 with the TPT shaft.  He was impressed with the feel, feedback and precision of the TPT + DF3 combination.  I then talked to my friends at TXG (Club Champion Canada) about what they saw as the best putter shafts based on their testing and experience.  Here are some of their insights with the obvious recommendation of, get fit:

TPT – If you have the budget, TPT all day long.  It’s one of the best, providing maximum stability with immediate feedback.  Feel and performance are superb.   But is it better than Stability I asked?  

BGT Stability – an excellent shaft, also one of the best, in their words, you can never go wrong with a Stability

Accra – excellent shaft, offering a softer feel  

Other excellent putter shafts are from Mitsubishi – Diamana  and LA golf to mention a few.

My impressions:  Now I have used a Stability shaft for many years, so know how good it is, but the TPT shaft is something special especially when combined with the L.A.B. DF3 head

image.png.7ae2448bb9ab4a670dca0c67fdf79f73.png

However, when you think about it, it’s the most used club in your bag with about 40% of your strokes coming from it.  The average golfer makes about 34 - 36 putts per round, whereas the PGA tour professionals sit at 27 – 29 per round.  A 0-5 handicap sits at 31-32 putts per round (Arccos).  The USGA statistics shows that the average male who shoots 98-99 has at least 40 putts per round. Moreover, a 1 foot putt counts the same as a 300 plus yard drive.    

Given the costs, a putter fitting and testing at a reputable high end fitter is highly recommended. i.e. you want to see if it helps your game and you can discern the differences between shafts.  Most of my friends when I let them try the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combination choke at the cost, HOW MUCH???, but the initial reactions after trying it are almost always, Wow, its incredibly smooth, with great balance and feel.  I look at as an investment in my golf game.  My putting has improved by almost a stroke (0.8 SG – Arccos) using the strokes gained model over 20 rounds of play with the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combination and it has gone in the bag. 

The caveat It is a potential piece of the puzzle and may not be for everyone.  You still need solid fundamentals, as well as the ability to read greens, judge pace and a putter that matches your stroke .  Putting this into any putter will not necessarily make you a better putter. What it can do is make your putts more consistent with respect to speed (lag) and direction.

Who is it for: The competitive golfer, the golfer that wants or demands performance and you have the budget to do so.   If you have taken putting lessons and invested in a putter fitting it may be an additional piece of the puzzle help to lower your scores

Who it’s not for: The budget conscious, can’t discern a real difference in feel between putters and shafts.

Would you be better off, saving the money and investing in lessons:  This is a loaded question.  YES.  Everyone would benefit from structured lessons and practice.  The reality, most do not.  

Overall Evaluation scoring and comments TPT/L.A.B. DF3 combination

image.png.aee9df97131a879dac26973ef450619a.png 

References

1.      TPT ( https://tptgolf.com

2.      L.A.B. Golf ( https://labgolf.com

3.      TXG (Club Champion Canada) ( https://clubchampion.ca

4.      MGS ( https://mygolfspy.com

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, TM MG4 SB 48*/09*, HB 54*/13*, TW 60*/11*, Accra ICWT 95 M4

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

Excellent review!! Great info, well presented and really helpful in learning about the product and deciding to try or not. 👍

(..yes now I'm thinking I do need to spend money for a fitting for both a TPT putter and a driver shaft...)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08; Tour Edge 1-Out
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric trolley.
Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Excellent review!! Great info, well presented and really helpful in learning about the product and deciding to try or not. 👍

(..yes now I'm thinking I do need to spend money for a fitting for both a TPT putter and a driver shaft...)

@cksurfdude thank you and I’m glad you enjoyed the review and that it was helpful. TPT makes some quality shafts, but I did not know much about their putter shaft other than the information L.A.B. provided. I have been very pleasantly surprised and pleased how good it really is in testing and on the course. 

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

The TPT putter shafts are a LAB exclusive.   Might consider the LA Golf shaft if you want something as stiff as the TPT.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Excellent review.

When I got fitted for my TPT shafts in March I fell in love with the LINK/TPT shaft. I need to sell my excess clubs and buy one. Why have I waited 4 months? Well, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my DF2.1/Accra setup. While I did fall in love with the other putter, I did not fall out of love with my gamer. I had a rough start today with my putter on the first 5 holes on the longer putts and had 18 putts on the front 9, but then had just 9 putts on the back. I’m talking 15-20’ers on the back 9. My playing partners were looking at me like I had 2 heads.

I still plan on getting the Link/TPT combo because it really felt nice, but my only complaint about the DF2.1 is it takes up a lot of space. 

:ping-small: G430 LST 10. on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 Max 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small:  iCrossover 4i  on Graphite Design ADDI 7S 

:ping-small:  i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90 S 

:vokey-small: SM9 54° & 58° on :truetemper: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

8 minutes ago, 10Hockey said:

No putter shaft will help if you do not know how to read greens and judge speed .  SORRY !!!!

I’ll assume that you also don’t think shafts help with full swing either.  Or let me guess, the putter swing is so slow t doesn’t matter.   

I’ll agree with reading greens.  While there are skills involved in putting that need to be developed show me objective proof that a putter shaft can’t help with putting.  Over the years, there have been different profiles with putter shafts even with steel to change feel and performance…step distances, step less, pencil shafts, YSC shafts, etc.   it has long been known that putter shafts matter.   

I did some testing with putter shafts this past weekend and saw changes in contact location and consistency of rotation.  Improved contact location equals better speed control and more consistent rotation equals better line control.   Better line and speed gets the ball closer to the hole.  The longer the putt the better chance for miss hitting the ball.  Even on off center hits the shafts reduce shaft deflection.   These can be shown on systems like Puttlab, Quintic, and Capto.    

will they shave multiple shots a round the answer is no,  but they DO have an influence on overall performance.   

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I went to LAB headquarters last month and did an in-person fitting for a broomstick. (I’ve had a DF2.1 with LA Golf shaft for a couple years now). Went with the MezzMax broomstick with TPT shaft. I definitely think the upgraded shaft is a requirement for long putters like armlock or broomstick. But I’d say put it in a traditional style putter, too. In a game of millimeters, why leave out any refinement that’s possible? After a couple rounds, no regrets so far with the TPT. I could feel the difference at the fitting and I see great results on the course! I even found a couple fairway TPT shafts used and am upgrading my 3 fairways. Driver will be next. I’m totally convinced of the tech! 😁

Edited by cptnkirkdog
Typo

Driver - Cobra LTDx (45.75in)
5 wood - Cobra Darkspeed
7 Wood - Cobra Darkspeed
9 Wood - Ping G430 Max
6 - Approach - Cobra Forged Tec One Length (LA Golf shafts)
52, 56, 60 - Cobra Snakebite One Length (LA Golf shafts)
Putter - L.A.B. DF2.1 Armlock (LA Golf shaft)

48 minutes ago, 10Hockey said:

No putter shaft will help if you do not know how to read greens and judge speed .  SORRY !!!!

@10Hockey, I hear you, hence, my caveat in the review,  "It is a potential piece of the puzzle and may not be for everyone.  You still need solid fundamentals, as well as the ability to read greens, judge pace and a putter that matches your stroke.  Putting this into any putter will not necessarily make you a better putter. What it can do is make your putts more consistent with respect to speed (lag) and direction."

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I’ll assume that you also don’t think shafts help with full swing either.  Or let me guess, the putter swing is so slow t doesn’t matter.   

I’ll agree with reading greens.  While there are skills involved in putting that need to be developed show me objective proof that a putter shaft can’t help with putting.  Over the years, there have been different profiles with putter shafts even with steel to change feel and performance…step distances, step less, pencil shafts, YSC shafts, etc.   it has long been known that putter shafts matter.   

I did some testing with putter shafts this past weekend and saw changes in contact location and consistency of rotation.  Improved contact location equals better speed control and more consistent rotation equals better line control.   Better line and speed gets the ball closer to the hole.  The longer the putt the better chance for miss hitting the ball.  Even on off center hits the shafts reduce shaft deflection.   These can be shown on systems like Puttlab, Quintic, and Capto.    

will they shave multiple shots a round the answer is no,  but they DO have an influence on overall performance.   

@cnosil Well articulated and stated.  They do make a difference.

I have been fitted for my putter  at Cool Clubs here in Scottsdale at their putter lab.  They have laser technology with high speed cameras that measure many data points ( face angle, arc, aim point, path, etc..) which will decide the best length of putter, the best type of putter head, grip , etc... I am not a pro golfer ( only a 6 handicap) so I felt that this was enough research and due diligence  for my  game without spending hundreds of dollars on a boutique shaft .  If the fitter would have recommended a high end putter shaft I would have entertained it, but he did not.  Off to the practice green. 

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

I wasn't able to try the TPT shaft, but I think it was a little cost prohibitive for me anyways. When trying out the different models at PGA Superstore, there was a noticeable difference between the stock shaft and the ACCRA. I ordered my DF3 with the ACCRA. I assume that it would have even better feel than the ACCRA, not sure how you quantify $300 worth of feel though. I'm happy I didn't try TPT or I may have been less happy with what I purchased. 

47 minutes ago, 10Hockey said:

I am not a pro golfer ( only a 6 handicap) so I felt that this was enough research and due diligence  for my  game without spending hundreds of dollars on a boutique shaft .  If the fitter would have recommended a high end putter shaft I would have entertained it, but he did not.  Off to the practice green.

So your original statement is personal opinion and not based on any specific data or testing and is largely based on cost and current skill level.  Just like you got fit for other aspects (aim, stroke, contact location, face angle at impact, etc. ) the putter the shaft is a next level aspect to get some level of improvement.  

I am inquisitive; especially with putters and all things putting, which is why I tested this specific aspect of the putter and saw minor  improvement.   

I could also point you to putting instructors that would have told you that your cool clubs session was a waste of money and not needed because putting is all about skills and the putter doesn’t matter.   

Is an upgraded putting shaft necessary,I’d say no as well since skills trump the putter but they can provide some benefit to help better the skills.    

Awesome review.  I’m a huge proponent for shafts and making sure you’re properly fitted.  Not sure why I don’t believe it for a putter shaft.  I just got a DF3. Sadly when purchasing my putter through my fitting at pga superstore the fitter didn’t know the differences.  I ended up getting the regular shaft and wish I’d have upgraded to the ACCRA.  Now I may way a bit to upgrade to the TPT.  They also didn’t have an armlock and I feel like armlock would better help restrict micro movements that may be hurting my putting stroke.  

great review.  I wish there would have been statistically data given from the 20 rounds. 

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

22 minutes ago, Markelly82 said:

Not sure why I don’t believe it for a putter shaft.  I just got a DF3. Sadly when purchasing my putter through my fitting at pga superstore the fitter didn’t know the differences.  I ended up getting the regular shaft and wish I’d have upgraded to the ACCRA.  Now I may way a bit to upgrade to the TPT.  

Lots of people don't believe that putter shafts matter;  most frequent reason is that putters move slowly.    I would say most fitters don't understand putters as it is a very specialized area.    I would also suggest trying the various shafts.   I have tried numerous putter shafts and they all feel slightly different and provided different balance.  

On 7/13/2024 at 5:08 PM, Cfhandyman said:

In my testing of the L.A.B. DF3, I found the combination of the DF3 head with the excellent TPT putter shaft to be an exceptional combination together. After testing and 20 rounds of play, I found the TPT shaft to be very smooth, precise with a firmer feel providing exceptional feel and feedback.  I would highly recommend it, BUT it is not for the faint of heart as the cost of the shaft is $399.  Is it worth it?  In a word, it depends on what you are looking for.   It is, an exceptional shaft/putter combination, highly recommended for those that value performance, precision, feel and feedback and have the budget for it.    Overall score, 96.6/100

image.png.7ab01c7466c37a7e892588766ec78b85.png

Disclaimer: I’m no stranger to aftermarket putter shafts, having used a BGT Stability shaft in my putters for 5 plus years after putter testing/fitting at TXG.  For further information see the following review on BGT Stability: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63885-the-stability-putter-shaft-and-why-you-need-it-or-do-you-–-unofficial-review/  It went into the bag at that time because of performance and feel.  So, I was keen to test the TPT shaft knowing what a high quality, very low torque putter shaft can offer.

Who is TPT: TPT, (Thin Ply Technology). is a Swiss company and the parent company NTPT pioneered thin ply technology using carbon fiber.  It has its origins in making and shaping carbon fiber into sails that maintained their shape, specifically for America’s Cup yacht racing.  So, it started with carbon fiber sails and then masts.  They then expanded to Formula 1 to lighten bodywork as well as enhancing structural components, thereby elevating performance.  TPT moved their innovative carbon fiber processes to other industries, automotive, aerospace, aviation, snow sports and golf.  TPT Golf launched in 2017. They construct their own prepreg (carbon fiber fabric that has been pre impregnated with a resin system, usually epoxy) from the best available fibers and then form it into structures.

Most golf shafts are hand wrapped resulting in slight shaft to shaft variance. TPT shafts are made using a CNC (computerized numerical control) wrapped around the shaft mandrel in an automated process to ensure there are no overlaps or seams in its shafts (see Figure 1).  Fibers are applied “on axis”, so they work together essentially like a one piece construction.. This eliminates shaft to shaft variations. 

Figure 1  image.png.b346a0a10376fa14bf55c70e9b088782.png

The result is a seamless shaft with uniform stiffness in all orientations. 

image.png.89cc049ca993b0ee21a723d90f51c5f6.png

image.png.861cb10b15ff8255f5af10eb6dcf1a06.png 

image.png.b11b9c3fb1982c9e50465cb2f822f5cd.png

End result  image.png.c024e9bf767ef2c7ec51c4eaf031122f.png

TPT putter shafts – What makes them unique

The use of advanced manufacturing techniques and high quality carbon fiber materials resulting in a blend of technology, stability and consistency.  For the same weight as a steel shaft, you are getting a much stiffer shaft with significantly less torque.  TPT claims, this allows for enhanced speed control, forgiveness resulting in smoother and more controlled putts.  Most other shafts are made by hand from multiple sheets of carbon fiber.  Feedback is clear, providing superb and immediate feedback.  It’s ultra stiff with a great deal of consistency

image.png.ec06d561126834c5b1a116352e104a8a.png  

image.png.6bd054259ea699648f40455fda193fc3.png

So is it One of the best putter shafts you can get?  How does it perform?

Performance

The TPT shaft combined with the L.A.B. DF3 putter head, provided exceptional face control as tested on Quintic.  The LAB/TPT  did exceptionally well with face angle control giving elite tour level readings (< 0.5 degrees). Also launch, roll and spin were all very good. It consistently resulted in an almost square face at impact, highlighted by the following with the DF3/TPT demonstrating a tour level face angle of 0.17.  This would equate to me making a 30 foot putt.

image.png.2ae6613729950379339a552312f0bb54.png

I compared, contrasted and scored the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combination against my gamer, the Evnroll Tourstroke with BGT stability shaft and Evnroll gravity grip.  The performance of both, both on and off the course were very good.  However, the L.A.B./TPT was slightly better in almost all categories.  Biggest difference was in face control.  The Evnroll was excellent as measured by Quintic, the L.A.B. was exceptional with even better face control. Putts tracked along there intended line like a heat seeking missile.  It is truly a potential long range bomber in that I’ve nearly holed out 40, 50 and 60 footers leaving a tap in for a two putt which given the length of those putts are prime three putt territory.   

Over 20 rounds of play, I saw an increase of 0.8 strokes in putting (Arccos – strokes gained) with the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combination

image.png.60f720ee5ad393c8b549bcbbcec35b9e.png

image.png.1ba4cad5d446dc20da99d9382a13976a.png

I then had an interesting conversation with my coach regarding the L.A.B. putters and shaft options.  He has the stock DF3, 34”, 69* lie in black with the steel shaft, so he compared it to my 35.5”, 69* lie DF3 with the TPT shaft.  He was impressed with the feel, feedback and precision of the TPT + DF3 combination.  I then talked to my friends at TXG (Club Champion Canada) about what they saw as the best putter shafts based on their testing and experience.  Here are some of their insights with the obvious recommendation of, get fit:

TPT – If you have the budget, TPT all day long.  It’s one of the best, providing maximum stability with immediate feedback.  Feel and performance are superb.   But is it better than Stability I asked?  

BGT Stability – an excellent shaft, also one of the best, in their words, you can never go wrong with a Stability

Accra – excellent shaft, offering a softer feel  

Other excellent putter shafts are from Mitsubishi – Diamana  and LA golf to mention a few.

My impressions:  Now I have used a Stability shaft for many years, so know how good it is, but the TPT shaft is something special especially when combined with the L.A.B. DF3 head

image.png.7ae2448bb9ab4a670dca0c67fdf79f73.png

However, when you think about it, it’s the most used club in your bag with about 40% of your strokes coming from it.  The average golfer makes about 34 - 36 putts per round, whereas the PGA tour professionals sit at 27 – 29 per round.  A 0-5 handicap sits at 31-32 putts per round (Arccos).  The USGA statistics shows that the average male who shoots 98-99 has at least 40 putts per round. Moreover, a 1 foot putt counts the same as a 300 plus yard drive.    

Given the costs, a putter fitting and testing at a reputable high end fitter is highly recommended. i.e. you want to see if it helps your game and you can discern the differences between shafts.  Most of my friends when I let them try the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combination choke at the cost, HOW MUCH???, but the initial reactions after trying it are almost always, Wow, its incredibly smooth, with great balance and feel.  I look at as an investment in my golf game.  My putting has improved by almost a stroke (0.8 SG – Arccos) using the strokes gained model over 20 rounds of play with the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combination and it has gone in the bag. 

The caveat It is a potential piece of the puzzle and may not be for everyone.  You still need solid fundamentals, as well as the ability to read greens, judge pace and a putter that matches your stroke .  Putting this into any putter will not necessarily make you a better putter. What it can do is make your putts more consistent with respect to speed (lag) and direction.

Who is it for: The competitive golfer, the golfer that wants or demands performance and you have the budget to do so.   If you have taken putting lessons and invested in a putter fitting it may be an additional piece of the puzzle help to lower your scores

Who it’s not for: The budget conscious, can’t discern a real difference in feel between putters and shafts.

Would you be better off, saving the money and investing in lessons:  This is a loaded question.  YES.  Everyone would benefit from structured lessons and practice.  The reality, most do not.  

Overall Evaluation scoring and comments TPT/L.A.B. DF3 combination

image.png.aee9df97131a879dac26973ef450619a.png 

References

1.      TPT ( https://tptgolf.com

2.      L.A.B. Golf ( https://labgolf.com

3.      TXG (Club Champion Canada) ( https://clubchampion.ca

4.      MGS ( https://mygolfspy.com

Very nice write up @Cfhandyman…really enjoyed the details!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Great write-up @Cfhandyman! I especially enjoyed seeing the manufacturing details on the shaft. A review like this needed to be done. 
I am surprised that TPT is L.A.B. Exclusive as @cnosil mentioned. I’m sure the benefit would translate to other putters as well…

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

On 7/15/2024 at 11:25 PM, jbern said:

Great write-up @Cfhandyman! I especially enjoyed seeing the manufacturing details on the shaft. A review like this needed to be done. 

On 7/15/2024 at 9:30 PM, TJ Hall said:

Very nice write up @Cfhandyman…really enjoyed the details!

On 7/15/2024 at 8:08 PM, Markelly82 said:

Awesome review.  I’m a huge proponent for shafts and making sure you’re properly fitted.   great review.  I wish there would have been statistically data given from the 20 rounds. 

On 7/14/2024 at 7:37 PM, RoverRick said:

Excellent review.

On 7/14/2024 at 11:58 AM, cksurfdude said:

Thanks to all for the feedback, discussion and comments.  It is appreciated.  

Background: I wrote this post, primarily because I have been extremely impressed with the L.A.B. DF3, but also suspected the TPT shaft is one of the hidden stars.  Together, they work extremely well.  What L.A.B. has done is very smart in that they take the putter head, shaft and grip as a unit and then balance them.  The two most common descriptors I can make of the L.A.B. DF3/TPT combo are precision and accuracy combined with great feel and feedback/responsiveness.  So, I wanted to do a deeper dive into the TPT putter shaft for L.A.B. and there was very little information, let alone reviews.  I wanted to try and understand is there a reason it performs they way it does.  It was also to help readers of the forum to provide additional information before spending big dollars on an option that may or may not work for them.

Caveat: I’ve been to fittings many times and am well aware of the price of after market shafts and what they can and can't offer in terms of improved performance, but its always a battle and trade off, of do the performance gains significantly outweigh the additional added costs versus how often do I use that club.  However, to the vast majority of golfers, their putter shaft is made of steel and little to no thought, let alone opportunity to try different putter shafts and to see what difference they can make.  Five years ago, I couldn’t tell you the difference between steel and after market putter shafts.  Mind you there were very few options back then. Through a combination of putter fittings/testing at TXG (Club Champion Canada) allowed me the opportunity to try different putter shafts.  The first time, I tried the BGT Stability shaft, I was blown away.  At the time, I also thought I was insane to be spending $350 on a putter shaft with Evnroll gravity grip.  Once I got it onto the golf course, I quickly realized, it was money well spent, particularly with the precision, accuracy and distance control offered.  Prior to the installation of the stability shaft/Evnroll gravity grip, I averaged 34-35 putts per round, which then dropped to 32-33 putts per round. This is also with addition of putting, speed control and green reading lessons and lots of practice.  Shafts can make a difference, especially if the right shaft is paired with the right head, but this must always be balanced against the cost and performance gains (if any).  

I just got my DF3 in the mail Fri of last week.  My fitter didn’t understand the nuances of the different shafts and I hadn’t done enough research myself to know. I ended up settling for the regular steel.  It still feels great but every little bit helps.  I also wanted to try armlock but they didn’t have which is disappointing.  I’ve already talked to the fitters about upgrading the shaft.  I may have to go with TPT with armlock.  It sounds like it’s a very quick turnaround to get it adjusted.  Either way I’m excited to have a LAB and have way more confidence sitting it behind the ball than ever before.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5