Titleist GT Long Game - 2024 Forum Review

There's one thing about the Titleist GT "woods" that I absolutely LOVE,
especially for their DTC-ordering customers.

If you order a non-standard length, the Titleist website actually tells you which specific weight 
to request being installed
to restore the club to original swing weight.

Unless I missed it,
which is entirely possible,
Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Mizuno, PXG, Srixon, TaylorMade, Wilson, and others
don't give you that info on their DTC ordering forms..

They also give you the easiest to understand guide
for requesting what sleeve setting you want,
whether or not you buy a wrench.

Screenshot2024-10-13at16_42_15.png.0523e9340f7e53df5f19c838ed0711f8.png

Interesting round today with the GT3 3W and GT2 7W. As others have noted, the GT3 16.5º is an absolute weapon off the tee.

GT3 3W Performance:

I'm not going to count the last hole (as one of my insta-playing partners started whistling in my backswing - sigh) but my stats for it today were:

4th Tee - 222 yards (right rough)

8th Tee - 249 yards (right rough) - approach shot was into a 2 club wind, but the 3W penetrated great.

11th Tee - 225 yards (right fairway)

13th Tee - 227 yards (center cut)

As you can see, it's pretty consistent and seems to definitely have a little bit of right bias when set up neutral for me. I seemed to have a bit of a tendency towards toe contact so I have switched the weight back to T1, but will keep the shaft in A-1 to see if I can get the best of both worlds (my original fitted setup was B1 but produced too much of a push draw).

GT2 7W Performance:

Very interesting round for the 7W today, and I think I'm starting to find it just a little too hot to replace my 4H in terms of carry/total. Possibly not a fair comparison to make given the loft difference, but it does seem to launch quite a bit lower than the Ping G425/G430 fairway woods. 

Distance stats today were:

3rd Tee - 217 yards (center cut)

9th Tee - 224 yards (right fairway)

15th Tee - 234 yards (left rough and had a tailwind)

17th Fairway - 204 yards (semi-rough behind green)

The shot I was a little disappointed in was the approach shot on 17 - it was a solid eagle opportunity, and the ball landed on the green and just didn't want to hold. The trajectory was quite low, but even so it was a solid strike but ran out ~10 yards after hitting the green and running up an upslope instead of holding. I'll keep an eye on the distances on my next round out, as it does seem to come out a little "hot" compared to what I'm looking for out of it given that I'm looking for more like 205 yards with a steep landing angle.

I will say, today was quite windy (gusting up to 20mph, steady at 10mph) and both fairway woods seemed to really hold up well into the wind, particularly the GT3 3W. The one place I'm still struggling a little is to get the 3W to consistently launch off the deck (which was my problem with my G425 3W). That said, it is allowing me to consistently get 10-15yds more off the tee on very narrow holes, and has kind of replaced my 5W as my safety club.

The challenge I have now is the 7W/5W is making for a bit of a congested top of the bag - as I have 3 clubs all vying for a spot between 210 to 240 yards. If I can get the 7W launching a bit higher and stopping sooner it would be perfect, but I already have it set to A-4. My only other thought is whether adjusting the weight in the GT2 might dial it back a bit more.

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

I had a unique situation this weekend that unintentionally gave me some insight into the Titleist driver and fairway assessment.  

Our Lower Keys Golf Association raised money to support the local high school golf team and junior golf in general.  When the next closest 18 hole golf course is 130 plus miles away, there's going to be some incremental expenses not seen with most high school teams.  Part of our efforts is a monthly scramble event.  I was part of a threesome which meant the B and C players would alternate which hole each would be able to make two shots.   I was the B player, so on the even holes I had the opportunity to hit two drives, fairway, chips and putts.  

The one thing I walked away from yesterday's scramble is how consistent the GT driver and fairway woods were.  I'd hit two identical balls, back-to-back from the tee and/or fairway and more often than not, both would be relatively close to one another even if one was a good swing and the second...not so good.  I saw that scenario time and time again through the round.  My good swings yielded good results and less than perfect swings still yielded better than expected results.  And that was with wet cart path only conditions. 

Hitting back to back and seeing the consistency in length and position with varying swings is certainly will be a plus going forward.

Titleist GT3 10 degree driver with a Mitsubishi MMT SpeedMesh 40 gram R2 shaft
Titleist GT2 four wood with a Mitsubishi MMT SpeedMesh 40 gram R2 shaft
Titleist GT2 seven wood with a Mitsubishi MMT SpeedMesh 40 gram R2 shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G30 irons, 6-PW, gold dot with Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shaft
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

GT3 was so, SO, good in its debut round. 9/12 fairways -- would've been 10 if I didn't hit a line drive into the coconut tree. Feels very anti-left with the TR Black which is exactly what I requested in my fitting. Would love to hit 5y fades off the tee but most of them were just dead straight

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 Ventus TR Black 5 S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :vokey-small: 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Sorry it's been a few days since I have posted here, gang! Haven't gotten back out on the course or range since last week but hoping to get up to the range tomorrow. Thinking maybe a bit of time off may help my brain reset back to a swing where I am hitting the ball well again with driver. 

Hoping to play Friday and Sunday this week as the weather is rapidly turning on us (freeze warning tomorrow morning 🥶)

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

29c324.jpg.24b701995c4b0e6699d16c0fcc2f0633.jpg

Sums up the past few days and why I unfortunately don't have any updates today. I have a round scheduled for tomorrow, so I'm hoping that the GTs keep showing the results I've been seeing. Depending on which sections of the course I'm playing, the fairways may get a lot of use off the tee so it should be a good test for them. 

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

The GT2 and I had this little gem yesterday:

image.png.c80693573b5a5b87b6ae8110c5aaf027.png

354 to the greenside bunker...in all fairness, it's a little downhill to the green and the bunker is below the green, and it was downwind, but hey, a bunker shot to a few feet and a made birdie putt = good way to end a quick 9 holes after a long weekend of freezing my rear off officiating ice hockey games.

5 hours ago, RichL85 said:

29c324.jpg.24b701995c4b0e6699d16c0fcc2f0633.jpg

Sums up the past few days and why I unfortunately don't have any updates today. I have a round scheduled for tomorrow, so I'm hoping that the GTs keep showing the results I've been seeing. Depending on which sections of the course I'm playing, the fairways may get a lot of use off the tee so it should be a good test for them. 

That was this weekend for me.  I worked 13 youth / adult hockey games during a big tournament weekend from Friday - Monday.  I saw the beautiful weather on the way in and out of the ice rink...

I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record here... 🙂

Screenshot2024-10-15at14_28_29.png.6cb7eba8ff125211175c8d753d03fc3b.png

GT3 3W Performance:

Again, the tee performance was mostly amazing. I do feel like I was a bit conscious of the weight in the toe, and as a result left the face open a few times. I definitely felt like I got a bit more distance with it like that, so I may go back to the original fitted configuration next round out and see if that tames a bit of the left to right movement i'm seeing.

As you can see from the above tee shot image, this is a TIGHT driving hole - right is OB and there's very little margin for error as if you push it right it's behind a big tree (center bottom of the image) and if you go left of the fairway you're under some other trees). This hole used to cause me fits with driver as there's not much room for any mistakes, but taking a hybrid or 200yd club leaves a very long approach to a fairly narrow green. Today felt like an absolutely zero stress way to play it. My ball was dead center in the fairway, leaving a very simple PW into the wind. 

The wind was howling again today, mostly into, and I maintain that whatever spin the GT3 and GT2 fairway woods are imparting is keeping the ball from losing distance. 245yds with my 3W is amazing. I definitely didn't have my best stuff today, and the 3W performance was amazing. I also hit it 241yds from the rough onto the green on a par 5 (!!). Great strikes are 240-245yds and mediocre strikes are in the 215-220yd range which is totally acceptable.

This club is absolutely delivering and if I can get myself sorted with a predictable dispersion this thing will be in the bag for a LONG time.

GT2 7W Performance:

IMG_8223FB4D677F-1.jpeg.2e672bc893c6befdd2fe47ac1ef1a2f7.jpeg

We're back up to a +0.06 strokes gained off my 9-handicap target! When I get the ball flight right, it definitely does stop and drop. I was 1/4 GIR with it today (all around 200yds out) with two misses pin high right, and one long of the green. Interestingly it does seem a bit more prone to catching a flyer out of the rough than my G425 4-hybrid - so I'll have to watch out for that in future. One of my shots went 224yds today - which would have been dead on some holes with trouble long.

Today was NOT a long-game clinic, but both of those clubs really shone at various moments during the round. 

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

Whew!!!  I finally got time to download the recent round.  Not a great round, in truth I'm not getting the distance I was hoping for.  Max driver is about 255. 

2024-10-13LegionHole1.jpg.d004bc10eb866f1be5379f3e73e99a72.jpgMax 3 wood is about 220 - I've occasionally hit the Calloway Epic Flash 3 wood 240ish. 2024-10-13LegionHole18Driverand3wood.jpg.4771ed20c6481acb2d2a2a9897f662d1.jpg

And I'm struggling to square up the 5 wood, with most everything going left and as with the 3 wood, much, much shorter than I'd hoped.

2024-10-13LegionHole11-5wood.jpg.acab083e0c32b5904a85e2a7711e5be8.jpg2024-10-13LegionHole13-5wood.jpg.bece85a281153d43954d59736af36d0b.jpg

I have hit the 5 wood good a couple of times, most notably a second shot on a par 5 that carried 220 and gave me an eagle putt last week, but over-all I'm kinda lost with that club.  Sunday I hit a couple of nice shots with it, but I'm toe-ing it a lot.  Again, back to my last post I need to get some range time in, to iron out [no pun intended] where to place the ball in my stance and possibly get more consistent results.  With the height I'm getting great stopping power when I make good contact.  However, and this is true for all three clubs, I'm not feeling the power with these clubs.  If I hit it on the screws, it's great.  Anything outside of the dime-spot on the face feels weak and out of control.

I am seeing consistent distance and direction with the driver, though I see a tendency to leave the ball out to the right instead of the draw I normally play off the tee.  I've decided to hit the range tomorrow and tweak the lofts on the fairways to get a bit more length.  I get plenty of height with these clubs, just not happy with distance and consistency.  This doesn't surprise me because the fitting was primarily for the driver, with only a handful of shots with 3 wood and one or two with the 5 wood.  None of the shots in the fitting were particularly good, and I don't really understand how I was fitted into the GT2 fairways except to suppose that since I was fitted into the GT 2 driver, the fitter wanted to be consistent.  I can't help but wonder if I would have hit the Gt 3 fairways better.  Also, I am wondering if the lie of these clubs may be negatively affecting my ability to square the ball up with them.  Again, off to the range for some data and tweaking.

I'm really not complaining, here.  Helene and Milton have ravished the southeast of our nation, war and rumors of war, blah blah blah.  But for testing purposes I'm trying to be honest.  The real problem as usual is my short putts, so scores and attitude are a non-positive result of the gap between my ears, not the clubs in my hands.  I'm having fun with the testing, and with 4 days off I plan to be hitting a bunch of balls and hopefully dialing in the new sticks.

Lastly, I want to reach out to our Spies on the Atlantic coast.  Here's wishing those affected by recent events my best wishes.  

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

Would have loved to give an on course update for the GT3's today, but unfortunately, plans changed due to my daughter being sick. Ended up on sick kid duty for most of the day and I was only able to hit the range for a bit in the afternoon. I had to work through a small swing issue, so it may have been a good thing in retrospect. I'm still hitting the driver and 5 wood well with the 3 wood being a little more hit or miss. By the end I was hitting it better, but I don't have the same confidence in it off the ground that I do the 5 wood yet. Another sim round scheduled on Friday and then a couple outdoor rounds next week.

20241016_162205.jpg.bcfcc0633182b932654bbf4b5f3d64ec.jpg

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing