Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

What is the coolest golf course you've played.

This thread reminds me that I need to do some traveling for golf!  Some amazing photos and courses!

My favorite of late has been Twin Creeks CC.  

20240716_152846.jpg.ee6a611ea1fdb31c51b609ad46988926.jpg

20240705_094354.jpg.b5b40dd5d18998cbc9b40122686bb55c.jpg

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

This thread reminds me that I need to do some traveling for golf!  Some amazing photos and courses!

My favorite of late has been Twin Creeks CC.  

20240716_152846.jpg.ee6a611ea1fdb31c51b609ad46988926.jpg

20240705_094354.jpg.b5b40dd5d18998cbc9b40122686bb55c.jpg

That was part of the reason why I decided to create this thread to get an idea of what cool golf courses were out there and if any were worth making the travel everybody knows the stereotypical tour ones they're still really cool it's the hole in the wall that nobody knows about is what I'm trying to find

Edited by FeeLinWoozey

Every one of us defines "cool differently, I love seeing these.  I agree with the earlier suggestion, the Sandbox at Sand Valley is really cool, a great short course.  I love the work of Mike Strantz, and to me Tobacco Road is a cool course.  In Ireland, I love Lahinch, both as a great test, as well as a few absolutely blind shots over big dunes.  The Old Course is the top of cool, quirky, bumpy, historic.  The Golf House Club at Elie, maybe a half hour from St Andrews, is very cool.  The first hole goes over a dune, the starter building has a WW2 periscope so they can tell when the way is clear.  Sixteen 4-pars, two 3-pars, but every hole seems different.  I guess that's enough for now.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Every one of us defines "cool differently, I love seeing these.  I agree with the earlier suggestion, the Sandbox at Sand Valley is really cool, a great short course.  I love the work of Mike Strantz, and to me Tobacco Road is a cool course.  In Ireland, I love Lahinch, both as a great test, as well as a few absolutely blind shots over big dunes.  The Old Course is the top of cool, quirky, bumpy, historic.  The Golf House Club at Elie, maybe a half hour from St Andrews, is very cool.  The first hole goes over a dune, the starter building has a WW2 periscope so they can tell when the way is clear.  Sixteen 4-pars, two 3-pars, but every hole seems different.  I guess that's enough for now.

That is true and the courses you named sound amazing! The WW2 periscope is awesome I would love to see that sometime

7 minutes ago, FeeLinWoozey said:

That is true and the courses you named sound amazing! The WW2 periscope is awesome I would love to see that sometime

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I got to play The Country Club as a kid right around when the best Ryder Cup ever happened, in retrospect that was probably the coolest course hands down, though did I appreciate it? Of course not!

More recently, I guess it depends on how you're defining "coolest"... Sea n' Air on the base in Coronado was probably the coolest for me, not due to course layout but because you get to contend with fighter jets taking off/land in your backswing while also looking out at the San Diego skyline & golden strand. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

31 minutes ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

Coolest is Sand Hollow IMG_7999.jpeg.5f533707d180fd88e8a502637835e465.jpegIMG_8929.jpeg.c350105c59037dc6dfa2bc0286f487dd.jpeg

Best is Payne’s ValleyIMG_0154.jpeg.98f40cd08f49894cb0d8e8bd5626e69e.jpegIMG_0160.jpeg.33454b28762eded91eca4911f6a2ba9e.jpegIMG_0156.jpeg.5c7957cc9a393926d5653d24d4ee9d60.jpeg

I second sand hollow! I love that par 3 you posted. I’ve played it 3 times, don’t think I’ve ever hit that green. 

Cobra F9 Speedback

Cleveland HB Turbo Launcher 3 Wood

Sub70 Fairway 5 Wood

Adams Super S 4 Hybrid

Sub70 699pro 5-PW

Sub70 50deg 286 Forged Wedge

Mizuno t22 54deg

Embarrassed to say Yamato full face 58deg

Just switched to the Cleveland Frontline ISO putter. The jury is still out. 

I am kind of a history buff and recently had the opportunity to play at East Potomac in DC. Not the greatest course in the world but a view of the Washington Monument from almost every hole and was pretty cool and unique. Tropical Storm Debby had just come through so it was walking only on the red and white courses and their push carts could use some TLC but great overall experience. 

Patrick O’Brien

Massena, NY

Home Course: Cedar View Golf Club

Bag: TM Qi10 Max Driver, TM Qi10 3W, TM Stealth 2 3H, Qi10 5H, TM Sim 2 MAx 6i-PW, Calloway Raw Jaws 50/56/60 Wedges, Odyssey Ai-One 7S Putter

4 minutes ago, Pobrien13662 said:

I am kind of a history buff and recently had the opportunity to play at East Potomac in DC. Not the greatest course in the world but a view of the Washington Monument from almost every hole and was pretty cool and unique. Tropical Storm Debby had just come through so it was walking only on the red and white courses and their push carts could use some TLC but great overall experience. 

That sounds cool! Do you have any pics? My favorite story is about a Trump course back there (northern Virginia Trump national) on which he has a plaque honoring a civil war battle on that very ground…only…there was no civil war battle on that ground. Wild story. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/details-details-donald-trump-has-plaque-at-his-golf-course-commemorating-civil-war-battle-that-never-happened

Edited by Rbgreene04

Cobra F9 Speedback

Cleveland HB Turbo Launcher 3 Wood

Sub70 Fairway 5 Wood

Adams Super S 4 Hybrid

Sub70 699pro 5-PW

Sub70 50deg 286 Forged Wedge

Mizuno t22 54deg

Embarrassed to say Yamato full face 58deg

Just switched to the Cleveland Frontline ISO putter. The jury is still out. 

For coolest, I'd have to say the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island. Such a cool vibe to that place, great layout, and the (seemingly) wind-shaped trees are just awesome.

2nd coolest also happens to be my favorite course played. Bethpage Black. An absolute jewel of a public track.

Mine has to be Pelican Hill in Newport Beach California. The first time I played was the same trip as playing Torrey Pines, and it blew it out of the water in my opinion. I played both courses they have there and if I had to pick a course to play the rest of my life, that would be it. I've never played a course before that made me feel obliged to take a photo on almost every tee box. The fact that I finished on 18 as the sun was setting, incredibly hard to beat.  Lots of great holes and fun elevation. Shooting over canyons. Could not recommend higher. Of all the courses I have played, this was the only one that I had to buy a shirt as a souvenir - not my thing.

Try to get out and play it least once a month. Currently around 25 handicap. Want to get down to bogey golf

On 9/6/2024 at 9:47 PM, Rbgreene04 said:

I second sand hollow! I love that par 3 you posted. I’ve played it 3 times, don’t think I’ve ever hit that green. 

That’s funny. We went on a trip and pin was short right. We pick a pin and do a closest to the pin challenge and picked that one. I hit the green near the pin and it rolled into the fringe or I would’ve been closest. 🤦🏼‍♂️

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

The other one is Gatlinburg golf course with the 'sky high par 3. Huge elevation change. Never hit it in multiple attempts. About 160 foot drop if I remember rightly 

Try to get out and play it least once a month. Currently around 25 handicap. Want to get down to bogey golf