Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

How many low caps play less than avid golf

Lonnie96

Yep, hate you guys.

#scratchgolferproblems

Your jealous of my scores and I'm jealous how much you get to play. That's life lol

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Last year was the first time I played 20 rounds in over five years- it was glorious! Used to get in about ten a year. This past season I had some rounds under par and a few around 80- don't keep a handicap but I usually just play to scratch.

As for this year, haven't played since October and hope to be able to play in two more weeks- still have some stitches in my back that are going to have me on the IR for two more weeks.

"Whoa Plaid. I don't think Blooming's post was referring to a 7 hcp player".

I've enjoyed reading the comments in this post. I think the intended audience Blooming was speaking to is probably players at a 5 or less hcp. That ain't me. Today I'm a 5 or less wanna-be and a 5 or less has been. LOL

I have a few friends that are my age that still shoot sub par rounds in the mid to upper 60's. On a bad day they shoot a whooping 75! These guys have been scratch or better forever. Some of them I know don't or can't play but once a week if that; at times. Doesn't work that way for me. I get sharper/better when I can play and practice more. My goal this year again is to get to 5 or less. I want in the club. The clock is ticking....

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I would say low handicap is 9 or less.And avid would be 3 rounds a week or 20 to 30 rounds a month.Just how i see it,and i used to play this much a decade ago for 20 plus years

On a side note i shot a 42 today with my 2nd round of the year.Not great but not bad either

I wasn't going to comment until Onion clarified the criteria.  Last year when I was still working, I would play most every weekend and every night after work during the summer months.  My wife made me do it.  Since I retired last September, I play 3-4 times during the week and on the weekends with my wife.  Since daylight savings time started, we have started to play after she closes her business at 5pm.  On Thursday I played 18 with the guys, then 9 when my wife got to the course.  

On days I don't play, I will spend about an hour or two practicing, almost none of it on the range unless I need to work something out.  I'd rather spend the time chipping, pitching, and putting.  Low round this year is 77, but typically my scores are around 82.  Alas, there are a few "others".

If I am away from the game for several days, I seem to be loose the first round or two back and able to make full swings easier, but the short game suffers for the first 9 holes or so.  The more I play, the better my short game, but I will struggle at times with my long game.  At my age the muscles don't take kindly to repeated full swings, but I am not taking many days off; I don't know how many days I have left! 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

One year I played 5 rounds.And broke 80 4-5 rounds that year.Strangely my game is always the same.I can play 7 days a week and still be a 70 golfer or at worst low 80.My shots end up in the same spot/still same push as a bad hit/and a bad chip or pitch that will cause me a few bogeys.Its weird,but even when i devoted all I had to golf my scores are the same.Personally i think we hit a plateau or ability level where we just can't go any farther.That is where i am,and not complaining because i still competitive with as little as I play

Some great posts.Thanks for the good reads

I believe that when a golfer reaches the skill level of a low single digit player, that person does not lose that skill even when they don't play frequently. It's sort of like learning to ride a bicycle... once learned it is never forgotten. Just limited play or occasional practice is enough to keep that skill sharp enough to break 80 in casual play. This is probably true for all skill levels. Skills don't deteriorate quickly and are regained rather quickly even when they have been abandoned for a long period. I believe this is true for golf and all other endeavors that require a level of skill.

How are you doing Will?

Sent from my VS870 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have a friend who plays maybe once a month. He travels a lot and can't play all the time. He gets perplexed when his hc goes up, to about 4 from 0. When i play with him, he does me the favor of moving up one set of tees from the tips. I still need driver, 3W, wedge to reach his Par 4s.

To contrast, i play about 175 times a year, and I'm up to a 15.

I have no idea what my handicap is. I probably average out through a season at mid 80's. I rarely ever score higher than 85-86, and I usually pull off a few rounds of 78-79  during a season. As far as avid..... I play in a league that is 9 holes and I play at least 18 holes once a week, sometimes more. I would play just about every day if I could. I think avid is having the desire to play whenever possible.

I have no idea what my handicap is. I probably average out through a season at mid 80's. I rarely ever score higher than 85-86, and I usually pull off a few rounds of 78-79  during a season. As far as avid..... I play in a league that is 9 holes and I play at least 18 holes once a week, sometimes more. I would play just about every day if I could. I think avid is having the desire to play whenever possible.

Instead of "avid", think "aspiring". Titleist describes their AP1 irons as "designed for the aspiring golfer".

It's a great word. It describes somebody who has the burning desire to be great, while being utterly devoid of any talent to get there. Fits me to a T.

How are you doing Will?

Sent from my VS870 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hi Rev.  I'm fine.  Occasionally lurk in the forums but I'm always reading the MyGolfSpy Blog.  I continue to see a lot of familiar names here.  Hope you are well and making lots of birdies.

Your scores sound very much like mine.  I have gone as low as 77 and as high as 90 on my course this year, but most scores run around 81-84.  My GHIN usually bounces between 9.1 and 10.2.  I'm hoping that when the greens recover from the aeration, and I spend a little more time practicing on course, that I can push that down to under 9.  I was there a few years ago before my knee replacement.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play twice a week Saturday and Sunday. It's tough to stay consistent because of the 5 days in between rounds. Now that the winter visitors have left, I'm probably going to start playing more as courses now are free for 2 hour rounds and I won't have to call weeks in advance to book a tee time.

As a young 20 something with nothing to do on Saturdays and Sundays it's easier to play golf then it is to find a bunch of friends to do something.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived