Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Fitting Off the Rack after Purchase?

I'm looking to get some new irons, and I have a sizeable discount available from a specific manufacturer that can only be applied to their products. What I'm wondering is if I should buy their set of irons off the rack, then go to a club fitter and be fitted for length, shaft, lie, etc. Or, should I just get a fitting and have a good fitter put me in the right clubs regardless of brand?

I believe in the importance of a full fitting, but I'm not certain how much variance I'd see with just the clubhead that can't be minimized by all the other variables being set properly. Also, I wonder if the cost of the fitting after purchase would even out my total cost (fitting + adjustments + shafts).

I'd get fit before purchase. I don't see anything wrong with looking at a specific OEM only, you just need to find a GOOD fitter that fits that OEM.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Which company is it with?

In my world, staying on a budget is just as important as anything else. As long as you get one of the major OEMs, there will be little variance. If that's the case, I'd go with the discount then get it fit from there. Just make sure you get to demo the different heads they've got.

I'd you're buying the clubs at a brick and mortar store, they should be able to get you most of the way fitted. If online, do your homework.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'd wait to purchase until after the fitting. Even within a specific OEM there are a lot of iron models to choose from, without the fitting how do you know which is best?

There are also a lot of no upcharge shafts available from most OEM's. Take a look at the options before your fitting and have the fitter stick to those shaft options. Then when you're done you should be able to order from the OEM with all of your custom fit specs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I echo what everyone else is saying. It is better to get fitted first because the outcome may be a different OEM and/or a different model iron than what you might have had in mind. It will also more likely benefit you.

However; it also depends on where you are purchasing from. Some places like Golf Galaxy and Dick's Sporting Goods will do a free fitting for you, after you purchase the clubs, and usually on store purchases only. At that point you'll go through a full fitting with just those clubs and you are able to adjust loft, lie, and even no-cost shaft upgrades for free. If you choose a shaft upgrade that charges extra, you'll have to pay the difference. This option is usually cheaper, because a traditional fitting first charges for the fitting as well as the cost of the irons. If you are dead set on a specific iron it isn't a bad way to go.

I'd get fit before purchase. I don't see anything wrong with looking at a specific OEM only, you just need to find a GOOD fitter that fits that OEM.

This. Probably cost you more if you have to replace shafts, etc...

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I would demo the stock/ rack set you are looking at. Most clubs even cast now a days can be tweaked.

They can tell you if you need stiff or regular and lie. If you know you are standard lie buying off the rack is not going to hurt you one bit.

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Taylormade M2 15*  
Callaway XR OS Hybrid 19* 
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 3 50*, 54*, & 60*
Cleveland Huntington Beach # 1
Ball: Taylormade Project (a)
@usmc23112

Archived