Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

30 years, handicap is 14 or so, depending on my putter!

What do you love about golf?

The drive to improve, self accountability, feel when you hit a great shot.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Worked in golf for 20 years and always check for reviews and info on this site. 

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Boise Idaho, mainly play Shadow Valley or Lakeview

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Courses are spread out and very busy. Beautiful use of the terrain and nature for courses. 

What do you do for a living?

Senior Ops Manager

TSR4

U500 1 Iron

CNCPT Irons

SM9 Vokey Wedges (50, 54, 58)

Global Limited Scotty Cameron putter

Average golfer depending on the day!

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing in 2022 with my brother and decided that if I was going to play I didn’t want to be angry all the time so I decided to buy my own clubs and get a couple lessons, that quickly turned into several trips to Vegas l, Arizona and North Carolina! Suffice to say I’m hooked! I’m a generous 18 handicap since I probably don’t know the rules as well as I should but I’m not playing tournaments. 

I’ve really enjoyed the challenge and since I’m fairly new I’ve been able to see a ton of improvement, which is fun! Also spending time with family and having an excuse to take trips to warmer climates is a plus! Being an Alaskan golfer makes it tough to get much play time in since we have snow or extremely wet conditions for a majority of the year but when it’s prime Alaskan summer weather there isn’t any other place I’ve been that is as beautiful. Anchorage golf course or moose run are the two places I typically play.

I’ve gathered a pretty good assortment of clubs since my initial set purchase so I have lots of options for the bag makeup but typically it’s:

driver: ping 425 max 10.5*

fairway: Taylormade stealth 2 5-wood
callaway rouge st 4 hybrid

5,6iron: 2021 titleist t200

6-p: Miura 801cb

51,56 vokey SM9

and I bounce around between a PXG bat attack and a Ping Tyne G 

Handicap to the moon and the bag is ever evolving 

On 4/30/2024 at 1:58 PM, Average At Best said:

30 years, handicap is 14 or so, depending on my putter!

The drive to improve, self accountability, feel when you hit a great shot.

Worked in golf for 20 years and always check for reviews and info on this site. 

Boise Idaho, mainly play Shadow Valley or Lakeview

Courses are spread out and very busy. Beautiful use of the terrain and nature for courses. 

Senior Ops Manager

TSR4

U500 1 Iron

CNCPT Irons

SM9 Vokey Wedges (50, 54, 58)

Global Limited Scotty Cameron putter

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you joined us!  I haven’t played any golf in the Boise area, except for a few times in McCall.  Hopefully, I’ll get there one of these days; I’ve heard there are some nice courses!   We’ve had several new members over the years from Boise, but they haven’t been very active.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

48 minutes ago, Redbeardshanks said:

I started playing in 2022 with my brother and decided that if I was going to play I didn’t want to be angry all the time so I decided to buy my own clubs and get a couple lessons, that quickly turned into several trips to Vegas l, Arizona and North Carolina! Suffice to say I’m hooked! I’m a generous 18 handicap since I probably don’t know the rules as well as I should but I’m not playing tournaments. 

I’ve really enjoyed the challenge and since I’m fairly new I’ve been able to see a ton of improvement, which is fun! Also spending time with family and having an excuse to take trips to warmer climates is a plus! Being an Alaskan golfer makes it tough to get much play time in since we have snow or extremely wet conditions for a majority of the year but when it’s prime Alaskan summer weather there isn’t any other place I’ve been that is as beautiful. Anchorage golf course or moose run are the two places I typically play.

I’ve gathered a pretty good assortment of clubs since my initial set purchase so I have lots of options for the bag makeup but typically it’s:

driver: ping 425 max 10.5*

fairway: Taylormade stealth 2 5-wood
callaway rouge st 4 hybrid

5,6iron: 2021 titleist t200

6-p: Miura 801cb

51,56 vokey SM9

and I bounce around between a PXG bat attack and a Ping Tyne G 

Welcome to the forums!!  Glad you joined us!  I imagine Alaska golf quite beautiful when you can play.  Canada is as far north as I go, and only when it’s warm!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

How long have you been playing golf? 

I started playing when I was 13 or 14.  One of my first dates was a round of golf with a girl since a round of golf didn’t count as a date and I wasn’t 16 yet (old enough to date).  Since I am 53 now I guess officially I have been playing for 40 years.  I have had lots of breaks over those 40 years and have never played on a consistent basis until the past year when two of my sons decided to take up the sport officially.  

I am a lefty but over the years played what ever clubs (LH, RH, rentals, loaners, hand me downs) that were available.  This year I decided to invest in clubs (still very budget conscious).  First decision was LH or RH.  Most recently I have been playing RH with a hand me down set.  After a session at the driving range with LH and RH drivers and irons I determined I hit my driver well RH but irons I hit way better LH so I am going to switch hit.  My bag will be RH driver and LH irons.  

What’s your handicap or normal score?

Normal score is 55 for 9 holes / 110 18 holes.  The goal in 2024 is to get below 50/100.  

Great reviews and info on golf clubs and product  

Hillsboro, Oregon.  I play public courses with McKay Creek the most frequent course  

Supply Chain Planning Consultant

WIYB?

RH MAVRIK driver 10.5

LH Wilson Signature Jim Ferrier blade irons 3-9, SW (vintage 1960s irons)

On order: LH Maltby STi2 irons 4-PW, GW

Next planned purchase: LH Sub 70 699 ProV2 Utility Iron

Wish list: LH Sub 70 699 Pro V2 full set 2-wedges. 

Edited by Wolfstrum

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

• 1 month later...

I've been playing golf for about 4-5 years. My normal score is lower 90's, I get frustrated with anything above 95 and pretty ecstatic with anything below 90. 

I love the competition with myself each time I go out and play and that each new round is different than the last. 

What brought me around was the ball labs, and honestly what kept me around were the opportunities to test various golf clubs, balls, and tech

I live in Post Falls, Id which is pretty close to CDA. My home course is called Prairie Falls

The best thing is golf is that a round is pretty reasonable. There are plenty of courses around me that are within 25 minutes which is pretty friggin sweet. 
The worst part is, north idaho is a bit of a vacation/destination so finding a tee time could be pretty tricky. 

I work for an geo-tech engineering company called ALLWEST Engineering. I work specifically as a lab technician. 

How’d you pick your user name?

Uhh I guess I was going for something funny, because I feel like BigDog could be a common username, I went with AverageSizedDog

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

On 4/6/2024 at 3:48 AM, Bigant18 said:

I've recently found that lacrosse players actually have a much more powerful base for golf swings than hockey players. Look at long pole defenders ripping worm burners on YouTube. They start with a split grip, rotate and allow their trail hand to slide to their lead hand as they shoot. The wrist release is later than what you want for a golf swing, but the same principles apply and they often have a similar follow through to a golf swing, provided they aren't about to get wrecked by the other team. 

That is an interesting point and I hadn't put that together. My played Lacrosse from 4th grade through HS. Long Pole defender is where he ended as his position. he spent 4 years in the Air Force and is home now. We went and played 9 holes before my surgery and he was stripping his irons. I have a Titleist 1 iron I gave him to use and the damn kid (25) rips it 280+ more than he doesn't. With the lacrosse background maybe that has something to help him out. When he was a kid, we did him and his sister in golf camps during the summer. So he did have some lessons from someone who actually knows the game and not just his dad (me) who thinks he knows. 😂

Welcome to the forum, Hope your scores are low drives in play. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my PNW golfers!

Just picked up golf in May 2024, and progressing quickly (I think). Been trying to golf at least 2x week and sometimes been able to get 4 (9 hole) rounds in a week. Handicap is currently around 22, but fluctuating 

I love the challenge of golf. It's a sport where the harder you try the worse you do. You have to relax and get your rhythm (which my GF will say I don't have any on the dance floor, haha). 

I found MyGolfSpy when trying to find good science backed info on potential products I may get during my golf journey. Being new to the sport I don't have much history directing me on what is actually good.

I do a lot of research when I get into new hobbies and MyGolfSpy has been an treasure trove of information. It's not just opinions of you should buy/use this, which is on abundance online nowadays. MyGolfSpy has data behind it!

I'm currently on the Southern Oregon Coast... For now. I tend to move every few years. Cedar Bend in Gold Beach is where I'm playing the most right now.

I have only golfed in Oregon, so not much to compare to, but all the courses I've played on have had gorgeous views. Can't complain about that.

I'm a commercial insurance broker/wholesaler

My username is the same asy gamer tag I've been using for a long time.

- JayDubbzz 

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford 

On 7/29/2024 at 8:44 PM, JayDubbzz said:

Hello my PNW golfers!

Just picked up golf in May 2024, and progressing quickly (I think). Been trying to golf at least 2x week and sometimes been able to get 4 (9 hole) rounds in a week. Handicap is currently around 22, but fluctuating 

I love the challenge of golf. It's a sport where the harder you try the worse you do. You have to relax and get your rhythm (which my GF will say I don't have any on the dance floor, haha). 

I found MyGolfSpy when trying to find good science backed info on potential products I may get during my golf journey. Being new to the sport I don't have much history directing me on what is actually good.

I do a lot of research when I get into new hobbies and MyGolfSpy has been an treasure trove of information. It's not just opinions of you should buy/use this, which is on abundance online nowadays. MyGolfSpy has data behind it!

I'm currently on the Southern Oregon Coast... For now. I tend to move every few years. Cedar Bend in Gold Beach is where I'm playing the most right now.

I have only golfed in Oregon, so not much to compare to, but all the courses I've played on have had gorgeous views. Can't complain about that.

I'm a commercial insurance broker/wholesaler

My username is the same asy gamer tag I've been using for a long time.

Welcome to the forum!!  Glad to have you aboard!  I grew up in Corvallis Oregon so I have spent a lot of time on the Oregon Coast.  Nice beaches in the north; beautiful scenery in the south.  

Enjoy your journey through golf; you can make it whatever you want!!

I've been playing golf since for about 30 years now, started on a junior set as a kid. I'm a 9 handicap. I love golf because it is a great way to get outside and enjoy the day.  I lived in Phoenix and just moved to Boise, ID. 

Work to golf ⛳️ 

7 minutes ago, Bloeb27 said:

I've been playing golf since for about 30 years now, started on a junior set as a kid. I'm a 9 handicap. I love golf because it is a great way to get outside and enjoy the day.  I lived in Phoenix and just moved to Boise, ID. 

A lot of great courses in the Boise area. My sister lives in Caldwell so I play every chance I get when I visit her. You should head up to Coeur d'Alene and play that course with the floating green. I strapped my clubs onto my motorcycle and rode from Cheyenne to Coeur d'Alene just to play that course with my own clubs. It was AWESOME!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

Hey PNW Golfers! I just moved to Helena, MT from Dallas, TX this past June and am loving it so far!

How long have you been playing golf? 

I started playing when I was 4-5 years old when my grandpa, who was a golf pro, gave me lessons. I did play golf in middle school and high school, but it was never my main sport. I really got back into golf after I graduated college and have been playing as much as possible since then.

What’s your handicap or normal score?

I am currently a 5.7 handicap. Goal is to shoot at least 1 round of even par before the end of this season!

I don't know any other Spies, but I have been reading MGS reviews and forums for years now

Helena, Montana. Home course is Bill Roberts Golf Course

I recently transitioned my career from working in clinical trials to a career in golf. I'm currently an assistant pro at Bill Roberts Golf Course and am enrolled in Level 1 of the PGA PGM program. My goal is to complete the program, earn my PGA Class-A and become a head professional later in my career. 

WITB?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5, HZRDUS grey 60g, 6.0

FWY: none 😞

HYB: Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 16 degree

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150, 5-PW; T200 4i; Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 130

Wedges: Vokey SM9, 51:12F, 56:14F, 60:08M

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

Dreaming of getting the new Titleist GT's in the top of the bag

4 minutes ago, Bloeb27 said:

Already made it up there. Loved the course. Stopped in Walla Walla on the way and played the winery course. If you haven't played there I highly recommend it. 

I will check it out next time I am up there. My mom and brother live in Othello WA so maybe I make an excuse.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

11 hours ago, Bloeb27 said:

Welcome to the forum!!  Glad you joined us!  I have been through Boise many times, but never stopped to play golf.  I have heard from several members in the area over the years say there are some nice courses.  Might have to make a trip… it’s about 300 miles east of my location.

If you haven’t already, I suggest you make a short trip up to McCall and play Jug Mountain.  I stayed there for a few nights… great course!!

10 hours ago, Bloeb27 said:

Already made it up there. Loved the course. Stopped in Walla Walla on the way and played the winery course. If you haven't played there I highly recommend it. 

Wine Valley GC is about 45 minutes away.  If it were closer, I would be a member!!  I do get “local” rates which is a good savings!

Hey folks! Coming to you live from Ferndale, WA. I picked up golf during the pandemic and just haven't been able to stop. I'm an 8-10 handicap (I don't have an official GHIN handicap yet) and I usually aim to shoot in the low 80s - breaking 80 on occasion. I love the grind, I got a Garmin Approach R10 about 2 years ago and I've logged so many hours on that thing that I've cracked a driver and busted up my 8 iron trying to figure out my swing. 

I've been a lurker on MGS for a while - it's been my go to source for getting reviews on new equipment that I've inevitably needed during my journey. My current set is the PXG 0211 irons and SW, a Vokey GW, the PXG 0311 fairway wood, and a Callaway Rogue MAX ST LS driver.

I don't have a home course necessarily - I like being a budget golfer so I follow the deals to Loomis, North Bellingham, Shuksan, Lake Padden, and Sudden Valley (or all the way down to Avalon for a free birthday round). I love that you can play golf virtually year round up here, but when we get a little too much snow and all the courses play temporary greens I get maybe a little too bent out of shape about it. 

I work remotely for a Software company as a developer - which can typically make it a little easier to get out on a weekday. 

Cheers!

Laying up for that 5iron approach

21 hours ago, Mnaks said:

Hey folks! Coming to you live from Ferndale, WA. I picked up golf during the pandemic and just haven't been able to stop. I'm an 8-10 handicap (I don't have an official GHIN handicap yet) and I usually aim to shoot in the low 80s - breaking 80 on occasion. I love the grind, I got a Garmin Approach R10 about 2 years ago and I've logged so many hours on that thing that I've cracked a driver and busted up my 8 iron trying to figure out my swing. 

I've been a lurker on MGS for a while - it's been my go to source for getting reviews on new equipment that I've inevitably needed during my journey. My current set is the PXG 0211 irons and SW, a Vokey GW, the PXG 0311 fairway wood, and a Callaway Rogue MAX ST LS driver.

I don't have a home course necessarily - I like being a budget golfer so I follow the deals to Loomis, North Bellingham, Shuksan, Lake Padden, and Sudden Valley (or all the way down to Avalon for a free birthday round). I love that you can play golf virtually year round up here, but when we get a little too much snow and all the courses play temporary greens I get maybe a little too bent out of shape about it. 

I work remotely for a Software company as a developer - which can typically make it a little easier to get out on a weekday. 

Cheers!

Great to encounter anorher budget golfer...although the bag you describe sounds like a nice size budget.😉

Still swinging after all these years

1 hour ago, TAGolf13 said:

Great to encounter anorher budget golfer...although the bag you describe sounds like a nice size budget.😉

That's a sign that I got a great deal as I built that bag!

17 minutes ago, TAGolf13 said:

The one i'm using, or one like it?

Haha just my bag - the one you said sounds like a big budget. Felt like I got decent deals at each step along the way to putting that thing together.

On 8/6/2024 at 9:10 AM, Mnaks said:

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums - glad to have another Whatcom County golfer!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB at 7.5°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour