Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Balls and Club Wear

The "what do you do with old balls" thread got me to thinking about whether old technology balls, or even low end range balls, tend to wear the faces of clubs?  I noticed some of the range balls I was hitting recently were kind of rough and had look to have embedded sand in their covers.  I also notice some make/model balls seem to maintain their original surface quality better than others.  What are your thoughts about clubface wear which balls are the worst and which are the best from that standpoint?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

That's interesting, I've never thought about the different balls wearing out the grooves on my clubs. I used to hit forged blades and I always thought about the grooves then, but never took into consideration the range balls that I was hitting. Now that I don't have forged irons I don't think about it too much, although I did get a big gash right in the center of my 7-iron, but that was from hitting out of the hard-pan or pebbled bunkers at most of the courses here in Albuquerque.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

1 hour ago, M. Parsons said:

That's interesting, I've never thought about the different balls wearing out the grooves on my clubs. I used to hit forged blades and I always thought about the grooves then, but never took into consideration the range balls that I was hitting. Now that I don't have forged irons I don't think about it too much, although I did get a big gash right in the center of my 7-iron, but that was from hitting out of the hard-pan or pebbled bunkers at most of the courses here in Albuquerque.

Ahhh! The hard pan bunkers and natural areas of ABQ.  I so miss that.... NOT!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

The "what do you do with old balls" thread got me to thinking about whether old technology balls, or even low end range balls, tend to wear the faces of clubs?  I noticed some of the range balls I was hitting recently were kind of rough and had look to have embedded sand in their covers.  I also notice some make/model balls seem to maintain their original surface quality better than others.  What are your thoughts about clubface wear which balls are the worst and which are the best from that standpoint?

I really haven't noticed any wear from hitting range balls, but then I don't spend a lot of time on the range.  I would be wary of range balls that are dirty.  I have seen marks on the club face from hitting a dirty ball at my old course.  My current course has very nice grass in the driving range, and they do a very good job washing range balls after they are picked.  All washed balls are returned to the pro shop in 55-gal barrels for purchase by bucket size, so they do get inspected.  The club also ensures that old balls are tossed and new balls are constantly added to replenish stock.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think it depends on the balls and the club.

Last year when I was reviewing the C300s I had some issues with wear/scratching on the faces after only a few range sessions and one round of golf. I normally go to grass ranges at local courses that have decent balls (I live in Titleist's backyard so the majority of balls seems to come from them) so hitting "bad" or dirty balls isn't usually a concern.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Not necessarily the balls themselves but sand will definitely wear them faster. Early this year we got a ton of rain for our area. Range was a mess, balls plugging everywhere. They were not able to get them clean again, much more wear on my clubs than almost the whole year prior.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I think it depends on the balls and the club.

Well, compared to the Kryptonite-Alloy PING used making PE2's, I'm already seeing a wee bit of marking on the new G410's.  

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I would be wary of range balls that are dirty.  I have seen marks on the club face from hitting a dirty ball at my old course.

Agree.  I'm going to be on the lookout for that with the new irons. The balls at my last range session were wet and had small grass clippings and sand on them.  I'll inquire with the pro shop next time there as to how they maintain their range balls. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I think the area you live in can make a difference as well. When I lived up north the ranges had sand but not a large amount. Now that I am on the south with Bermuda, everything is sand based. The range, the fairways, the greens. So I feel like there is way more sand on the range here than when I was up north. In the winter time the range is basically dormant Bermuda and sand. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have range irons and wedges. I don’t normally hit my gamers on the range for the reasons already mentioned.

I started this insane practice a few years back when I was in an area where “mats” were the standard and real grass ranges basically didn’t exist outside of country clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, Kenny B said:

I really haven't noticed any wear from hitting range balls, but then I don't spend a lot of time on the range.  I would be wary of range balls that are dirty.  I have seen marks on the club face from hitting a dirty ball at my old course.  My current course has very nice grass in the driving range, and they do a very good job washing range balls after they are picked.  All washed balls are returned to the pro shop in 55-gal barrels for purchase by bucket size, so they do get inspected.  The club also ensures that old balls are tossed and new balls are constantly added to replenish stock.

This is interesting,  I find the balls at my range here in AD are very hard and do wear my iron and in fact wood faces out.  There’s a guy here who has caved in multiple m5 heads just because of the range balls.

17 hours ago, Austin @austxd said:

This is interesting,  I find the balls at my range here in AD are very hard and do wear my iron and in fact wood faces out.  There’s a guy here who has caved in multiple m5 heads just because of the range balls.

Wow!!  I don't know anyone that has done that.  I would think it would be worth it to petition the course to change their range balls to something more standard to the industry.