LAZRUS Wedges - Anyone tried them?

MorganTB445

Not sure if anyone has seen these wedges? They claim to be direct to consumer and produced in the same factory as some of the "best" wedges in the world. On Amazon it looks like they'll only run you around $120, which gets you a 52, 56 and 60. Pictures seem to do them justice and the Amazon reviews back them, but I wanted to ask the bonafide golfing community what they think (before I go and waste the $120 anyway because I'm curious). 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Pretty sure in the last month i saw several YouTubers make videos on them. One being a rainbow finish. In terms of performance they seemed to perform okay. 

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

I recently purchased the set - 52, 56 + 60

so far only had a play at the range but feel fantastic.. 

only down side If you live in Australia like me is by the time you convert the price from USD to AUD and then pay the currency conversion fee their not quite as cheap as they initially seem but still much cheaper than anything in store or even 2nd hand with potentially worn groves and therefore less back spin . 
I’m only a beginner though.. 

😁

• 1 month later...

A buddy of mine who is a photographer got a set and loves them. These were a few photos he took.

Screenshot_2023-01-25-06-45-38-69_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-25-06-45-24-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

I was very close to buying a set a few months ago. Mainly for the price point, but also that rainbow finish really caught my eye.

From what I've read, they perform OK, but they're no Vokey challenger.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

I was very close to buying a set a few months ago. Mainly for the price point, but also that rainbow finish really caught my eye.

From what I've read, they perform OK, but they're no Vokey challenger.

The other big part with those finishes are they tend to wear out quickly or at least they don't last so need to make good on those looks early.

It's not the end of the world, but for those paying because of that look shouldnt expect it to last.

T150 6-9 Iron                                

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The other big part with those finishes are they tend to wear out quickly or at least they don't last so need to make good on those looks early.

It's not the end of the world, but for those paying because of that look shouldnt expect it to last.

Tell me about it.

I got a new SW last year in a bronze finish, and in my first session at the range with it I hit a horrible shot out of the toe which left a deep scratch towards the end of the face where there are no grooves.
It's still there and I look at it and scowl every round, haha

Edited by Splatt

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

7 hours ago, Splatt said:

Tell me about it.

I got a new SW last year in a bronze finish, and in my first session at the range with it I hit a horrible shot out of the toe which left a deep scratch towards the end of the face where there are no grooves.
It's still there and I look at it and scowl every round, haha

The pain of this feeling is all too real. I did this with my Sim 2 fairway, caught it a little high on the face and took a little bite out of the crown. Pains me every time I pull it out of the bag haha

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just put a set in the bag and I'm very happy with them. I plan on writing a full review after some more time with them, but so far they're very impressive. Im a high handicapper so I don't have the discerning tastes that some here do, but I could immediately tell a difference between my pieced together used set and a brand new matching set. For a high handicapper I think the price and large bounce make them a no brainer. 

Also, I think you can buy open box directly from their website for $100 per set. 

WITB:

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.8* Turned to 9.5* with Alta CB Red Stiff Flex

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade R15 Rescue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: Lazarus 52, 56, and 60

Putter: Putter Designed and Built by me!

I used these when I started playing. They're totally fine, maybe better than fine, for a beginner. Rick Shiels just did a review of them recently. I do believe they are non-conforming. I got an open box set for super cheap, and they were almost in perfect condition - after all, once you swing them a single time on the course, who would know that you bought them ever-so-slightly used? 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

1 hour ago, elight said:

I used these when I started playing. They're totally fine, maybe better than fine, for a beginner. Rick Shiels just did a review of them recently. I do believe they are non-conforming. I got an open box set for super cheap, and they were almost in perfect condition - after all, once you swing them a single time on the course, who would know that you bought them ever-so-slightly used? 

What wedges did you switch to? What do you like better about your new wedges?

WITB:

When I first started playing about two years ago, I bought a whole bunch of Lazrus clubs - irons (6-PW), the three wedges, and eventually two hybrids (3 and 5). The price was right for someone who was still deciding whether or not they were going to take up the game in the long-term, and especially at this time when it was almost impossible to find any sort of decent clubs for a decent price due to the Covid demand and supply chain issues. I used them for about a year, and overall I think they were great for what I needed at that time. Eventually, I went to a PXG store to get a super-cheap fitting (I had already by this point bought a 0211 driver) and ended up buying a new 5-wood, GW and SW, and found the exact irons I was fitted for on Facebook for half-price (they had been swung maybe once at a driving range).

In both cases, I would say this: I don't think that spending more money would have resulted in better scores. Just starting out, you need something serviceable that won't hurt you. Lazrus fits the bill. Then, I wanted something that was more custom fit for me, and PXG fit the bill. At some point in the future, I'll probably want a more brand-agnostic fitting if I think it would benefit me.

The main purpose of upgrading the wedges and irons was to have something with more distance, more forgiveness, and with a shaft that fit me. Sure enough, I was fit for a graphite shaft. Also, because I have short arms for my height, getting the lie angle right was important (although I suppose I could have had the lie adjusted on the Lazrus clubs, but has anyone ever had a lie adjustment on no-name, mail-order, non-conforming clubs?). I think that the PXG irons outperform the Lazrus irons in every respect, as one might expect. I do sometimes miss the Lazrus 56 degree, but probably mainly because the PXG SW is a 54 degree, and I had gotten used to the 56.

14 minutes ago, elight said:

When I first started playing about two years ago, I bought a whole bunch of Lazrus clubs - irons (6-PW), the three wedges, and eventually two hybrids (3 and 5). The price was right for someone who was still deciding whether or not they were going to take up the game in the long-term, and especially at this time when it was almost impossible to find any sort of decent clubs for a decent price due to the Covid demand and supply chain issues. I used them for about a year, and overall I think they were great for what I needed at that time. Eventually, I went to a PXG store to get a super-cheap fitting (I had already by this point bought a 0211 driver) and ended up buying a new 5-wood, GW and SW, and found the exact irons I was fitted for on Facebook for half-price (they had been swung maybe once at a driving range).

In both cases, I would say this: I don't think that spending more money would have resulted in better scores. Just starting out, you need something serviceable that won't hurt you. Lazrus fits the bill. Then, I wanted something that was more custom fit for me, and PXG fit the bill. At some point in the future, I'll probably want a more brand-agnostic fitting if I think it would benefit me.

The main purpose of upgrading the wedges and irons was to have something with more distance, more forgiveness, and with a shaft that fit me. Sure enough, I was fit for a graphite shaft. Also, because I have short arms for my height, getting the lie angle right was important (although I suppose I could have had the lie adjusted on the Lazrus clubs, but has anyone ever had a lie adjustment on no-name, mail-order, non-conforming clubs?). I think that the PXG irons outperform the Lazrus irons in every respect, as one might expect. I do sometimes miss the Lazrus 56 degree, but probably mainly because the PXG SW is a 54 degree, and I had gotten used to the 56.

Do you think your new wedges outperform the Lazarus wedges solely because they're fit for you or are they inherently better clubs? We have a similar handicap based on your profile and I couldn't imagine a wedge that is significantly better for someone of my skill level.

WITB:

I agree that the wedges probably don't make much if any difference in my overall scoring. I think there's some value to having a similar feel throughout the bag (i.e., same club head construction, same shafts) for a beginner. I know more advanced players have all sorts of mix-and-match clubs, but when you're new and struggle to get a feel for things, I think it's nice to have some consistency. And the 50/54 gapping makes more sense with the lofts of my new irons.

FWIW, PXG screwed up my order and sent the wedges with steel shafts. So then they re-sent them with the correct graphite shafts. I tried on multiple occasions to get a return shipping label for the original ones, but they ignored my requests. If you want to try the PXG wedges for comparison's sake, let me know and I'll make you a deal on a PXG 0211 GW and SW with regular flex steel shafts that have never once been swung!

• 1 month later...

Above it was shared the Lazrus wedges may be nonconforming - does anyone know how so? I have the rainbow set - I thought it was fun to just see and after a year or two using them, I really like the way they hit. Though, I figure being cheaper I won't get a third or fourth season out of them so I am beginning to research a new wedge set.

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)

• 2 weeks later...

@Q22Golf I see you have a Lazruz 3 Wood and Hybrid as well. What do you think of those? I would think woods and hybrids have more tech in them than wedges. I'm curious if Lazrus is able to compete with the big boys there.

WITB:

4 hours ago, hbetts said:

@Q22Golf I see you have a Lazruz 3 Wood and Hybrid as well. What do you think of those? I would think woods and hybrids have more tech in them than wedges. I'm curious if Lazrus is able to compete with the big boys there.

I really like the Lazrus hybrid! I think it hits well. The 3 wood is just alright. Both seem less sturdy or not as well made as the wedges though. The challenge I have with them is my speed- I am fitted for stiff flex shafts and Lazrus only does regular flex. So I have to work to slow myself down and when I don't, I can really mishit these.

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)

• 4 weeks later...

Adding my Lazrus experience before reading the other reviews in this thread to stay as unbiased as possible.

When I got seriously into golf at the beginning of last year, the Lazrus 52/56/60 wedges were my first upgrade to the hand-me-down clubs I received from my uncle. I used them from a 26 handicap until about 3 months ago, when I reached my initial big goal of a single digit handicap and rewarded myself with Vokeys.

They're not perfect, but the Lazrus wedges were absolutely absurd value for the price. After trying out some other wedges and in comparison to my Vokeys the clubheads feel significantly heavier, making it a lot easier to accidentally flip the club through impact. Outside of that issue, they're just a rock solid set of wedges. There's no fluff, but no major issues either. I didn't love the grips that came with them, but grips are easy to replace if needed. Solid wedge set.

GOLF+ Community Manager

9hcp | Ping G425 Dr, 3W | PXG 0341X 7W | P790 4i-PW | Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58 | Cobra Supernova

A friend of mine bought the really funky colored ones. I think they lasted 10 rounds before he swapped them out? He said he loved the looks, but they did tear up several golf balls and marked up pretty quick.

As a photographer this was pretty disappointing because he didn't get the glamour shots of them till after some use.

T150 6-9 Iron                                

On 1/25/2023 at 1:42 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

This was my concern, the finish.  I think a wedge is a wedge is a wedge, for most of us, but if they don't last and you keep buying more then you may as well have just bought the Vokey's in the first place.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

There are some good comments in this thread, that are worth noting:

If you, like I am, are supporting a young and growing golfer, clubs like this are a good idea.  They may not last forever but if they do the job and keep the kid playing until he's grown and settled into his game, they're certainly worth a shot.  In the end I let my grandson choose between a few, and he settled on three Cleveland wedges that cost a bit more but were still much less than my Vokey's.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

I bought the deep cavity 58 wedge for my wife (typically shoots 100-115) because she was unable to get any height on her set wedges for chipping and forget about coming out of the bunker (or over one). 

She enjoys being able to take a “putting motion” swing and easily get the ball airborne and gets out of the bunker the first time at least half the time now. I’ve played around with it and it’s nearly impossible to hit it fat and you can do some fun shots with it that go higher than they go far. It’s helped her chipping game substantially.

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 10* | Taylor Made Mini Driver 13.5* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 51*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

On 8/6/2019 at 3:50 PM, MorganTB445 said:

Not sure if anyone has seen these wedges? They claim to be direct to consumer and produced in the same factory as some of the "best" wedges in the world. On Amazon it looks like they'll only run you around $120, which gets you a 52, 56 and 60. Pictures seem to do them justice and the Amazon reviews back them, but I wanted to ask the bonafide golfing community what they think (before I go and waste the $120 anyway because I'm curious). 

I actually just bought the set you are referring to. I did the discounted ones that were considered "dinged / scratched" and only plaid $99 (with express shipping). I have two full rounds in with them and have let my buddy hit them as well on the range. I have had zero issues with them and again my buddy seems not to notice any real difference between the Lazrus and his taylor made's. 
That's not to say the TM's aren't a "better" product. But for our weekend warrior outtings them seem to work out just fine. 

Also, these are the first wedges outside of the PW and AW from my Nike set that I have ever used more then just a rando shot with someone elses clubs, so I don't have a lot of base comparison off of. 
That being said if you aren't a scratch golfer or out all day everyday getting them Par rounds in, I would say they are worth the 100 bucks. 

Murphy, Derek

I've owned a 52/56/60 set for a couple of years now, and although the "rainbow" finish has diminished a bit, I love the finish. They perform well, and I always get compliments about the clubs. Highly recommend them, and will send pics of them anytime 🙂

Steven Senft
- A dad who likes to golf -

WITB: Mizuno STX 10.5 degree
AeroBurner MiniDriver 
Wilson Hybrid 
TaylorMade M5 4 iron
Taylormade M4 5-PW
Lazrus Wedges 52-56-60
Meridian Okatie
Bridgestone XS - Callaway Triple Track - Callaway Super Soft

I have the Kirklands and the old pre- rainbow Lazrus "forged" chrome wedges.  The Lazrus are ok, and they are a bit bigger face than the Kirklands.  I'm gaming the Kirklands and I just gave away the Lazrus to a newbie golfer yesterday.   For $99 they are decent enough.  Better than the old PineMeadows