Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putting Greens or Putting Matts

Putting Green or Putting Matts  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How many have a Putting Green on their back yard or Just a Putting Matts

• Yes, I have a Fantastical Putting Green
    • No, just a commoner with a Putting Matts

I always see the advertising for having your own backyard putting green. I have always been interested but have never done it. 
How many of you guys have invested on your own putting green or do you feel is to expensive and a Putting Matt is just as good.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

What do you want to accomplish/do with the green? Unless you can define your possible usage we really can’t tell you which would be best.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What do you want to accomplish/do with the green? Unless you can define your possible usage we really can’t tell you which would be best.

I would think you want to practice putting do different holes and maybe even chipping would be even better. 

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)

I would think you want to practice putting do different holes and maybe even chipping would be even better. 

Distance of putts and how far to chip from? Do you want to be able to easily change break? Why different holes? How many holes?

These types if questions lead you down the approach for the size and type of surface.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Distance of putts and how far to chip from? Do you want to be able to easily change break? Why different holes? How many holes?

These types if questions lead you down the approach for the size and type of surface.

different angles for putts and chips, your not always going to get straight putts on the course, 2 or 3 holes is fine , just something to change your view , depth, angles.

Based on your descriptions it sounds like you aren’t looking for something very large but can accept chips. I’d personally build an indoor green using higher end green material.

I have one of the BirdieBall putting greens, I believe it's 4' x 12' and it's great.. but, I would take an outdoor green any day of the week. I just wish I had the knowledge and patience to build on. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I would not consider either. If I can't make it the same speed and undulation as on my courses greens it would be a waste of money for me. When I go to the course I don't hit balls at the driving range, but I do practice on the putting green to see the speed and how the breaks are affected. Putting for me is the key to scoring well. Why practice on a simulated green that is not the same as the greens you play at your course?

2 hours ago, Letthebigdogshunt said:

I would not consider either. If I can't make it the same speed and undulation as on my courses greens it would be a waste of money for me. When I go to the course I don't hit balls at the driving range, but I do practice on the putting green to see the speed and how the breaks are affected. Putting for me is the key to scoring well. Why practice on a simulated green that is not the same as the greens you play at your course?

I agree with putting being a key to scoring well.

However, I work on my putting stroke at home with a simple putting mat and a ruler. For me my stroke has to be fundamentally sound. And I do practice on the putting green at course, I just prefer to work on mechanics at home.

There is such a huge price difference between the two. If you have the money, the outdoor putting green may be beneficial. I have always wanted one so I could not only putt on it but also hit some chip/short pitch shots into the green and see the spin characteristics on different shots. I have a birdie ball putting mat that is 3 feet wide by 10 feet long and it is a great mat for me to practice my short putts and rolling the ball on line. However, if I had the money, I would invest in an outdoor green so it would be more versatile. It all depends on what you want to practice and how you want to utilize your space. If you desire to practice short game as a whole, an outdoor setup/bigger putting green would be the way to go. If you just need to practice putting, a simple putting mat like a birdie ball would do the job. Another great aid to check out would be the delta putt. Hope this helps

-M

Driver- Titleist TS2 10.5 Degree

3 wood- Cobra Speedzone tour

Driving Iron- Taylormade P790 2 iron

Irons- Callaway x forged irons

Wedges- Taylormade Milled Grind (50,54,58)

Putter- Scotty Cameron select newport 2

Ball- Bridgestone Tour BXS

12 hours ago, Letthebigdogshunt said:

I would not consider either. If I can't make it the same speed and undulation as on my courses greens it would be a waste of money for me. When I go to the course I don't hit balls at the driving range, but I do practice on the putting green to see the speed and how the breaks are affected. Putting for me is the key to scoring well. Why practice on a simulated green that is not the same as the greens you play at your

Practicing in simulation greens or matts is more of practicing your stroke and distance control. 

For me i like playing different courses which will vary different speeds and types of greens. 

I understand if you play the same course all of the time. You would practice at the course since its always the same.

Practicing in simulation greens or matts is more of practicing your stroke and distance control. 
For me i like playing different courses which will vary different speeds and types of greens. 
I understand if you play the same course all of the time. You would practice at the course since its always the same.

Even playing at the same course the greens are different. Did it rain, morning vs afternoon, when were they cut, is it hot/cool. Lot of variables.

As one of the testers for the ExPutt putting simulator I’ll suggest you take a look at that thread; this produce seems to be a nice alternative to someone that wants more than a mat but less than an outside/large green. While it doesn’t cover chips/pitches seems like a great tool to improve your putting.

I've been around the block a few times..

1st Outdoor putting green 12 feet by 24 feet. Sand filled. 3 holes flats and breaks. Putting and chipping.  Also a small bunker.  Too small to function well. Worked well, got bored after a year or two. You know the breaks and not a challenge after a year or so.

2nd Outdoor putting green. (Moved) 24 feet wide by38 feet. 3 holes flats and breaks. Green accepts 100 yard shots. Larger bunker. Worked well for a few years. Filled in the bunker. Turned into the neighborhood litter box for cats, raccoons, and the unknown. Sand filled green compacted over time. Moss gets hold of it and its extremely hard to kill it. Spider weeds. Even found black widow spider nest in one of the holes. Now it is trash. Been trying to revive it for a month or two. Now it's to freaking hot to work on it.

Putting mat. Dependable, no maintainence, MUCH cheaper. You can take it with you.

Living room carpet. Too slow. Hotel room carpet  and a plastic cup from the bathroom not bad!

Electric ball return putting cup. Works good but you need the right mat or carpet.

My vote........ indoor putting green or mat. 

Next house, man cave with raised floor for cups. Carpet that roll to 10 or 11.  Plugs for holes when not being used. Simulator area. ( have the simulator already in my current house )

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag