Testers Wanted! Volvik Golf Balls ×

Best Hybrid For Distance

ninjacobra

Hi guys,

Like all equipment junkies out there i am trying to put together the most ideal bag. Right now the 21 deg utility slot is open because i am going to remove my 3 iron and put something more forgiving when i mishit it a little bit.

I am looking for suggestions for which hybrid should i get to fill that slot. I am a 16 handicapper and not the longest hitter out there i hit my driver on an average of 240 yards with swing speed in the 95 mph region.

Atm i have shortlisted 4 clubs: Adams Superhybrid,Adams V3 tech, Superfast 2.0 and G15 ( not a fan of the shape though)

what do you guys think is the best hybrid to get the ball out of the cabbage and up in the air im open to suggestions

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

The Adams Idea Black ("Super") hybrid is great off the tee and off the deck. Out of the rough, I think the V3's sole design may work a little better. If you're fighting a slice, the V3 may also be for you. Don't count out the Titleist 909H and Nike VR Pro as well.

I just got the Cleveland Launcher DST Hybrid 2i and it's surprisingly long. I compared it to several other brands and the DST just worked best for me and it was only $79.

Driver:  Titleist 915D2 9.5* (Set at 10.25*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Fairway:  TaylorMade Aeroburner Black 16.5* HL w/ Matrix Rul-Z 
Hybrids:  Titleist 915H 18*(Set at 19.5*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Irons:  Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi (4 Iron) w/ Graphite Design Aura Blue
            Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (5-9) w/ True Temper XP 105
Wedges:  Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (PW 45*) w/ True Temper XP 105
                 Mizuno MP-R12 (50*, 54*, 58*) w/ DG Spinner
Putter:  Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Balls:  Callaway Chrome Soft / TaylorMade Project (a)
Bag:  OGIO Chamber
Shoes:  Nike TW '15

• SPY VIP

We've fully tested two already this year, with two more better than halfway. It's admittedly a relatively small sampling compared to the whole of what's on the market today, but with respect to distance only, the Nike VR Pro is proving to be the longest of the bunch.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

hi moe, im not fighting a slice for my fairways but im afraid of hooks when im playing my longer clubs.

is the vr pro good out of tight lies? would it be suitable for a mid handicapper lk me?

does anyone has anything to say about the superfast?

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• SPY VIP

hi moe, im not fighting a slice for my fairways but im afraid of hooks when im playing my longer clubs.

is the vr pro good out of tight lies? would it be suitable for a mid handicapper lk me?

does anyone has anything to say about the superfast?

As far as the VR Pro is concerned, my guess would be there are only a couple of hybrids on the market that would perform as well from tight lies (for me anyway). Of the hybrids we've tested (and seen on the shelves), the VR Pro has among the smallest profiles you'll find. It sets up very much like an iron, and I'm very comfortable taking a divot with it. I haven't hit the Nike out of deep rough, however; I've found similarly designed hybrids extremely playable from the deeper crap.

If you're more of a sweeper when it comes to hybrids, it's probably not ideal for you. I don't know enough about your game to say whether or not it's a good fit. I'm a relatively high handicapper, but my problem is that I'm sometimes erratic with the driver, and have a tendency to get in a rut and spray the ball all over the course. When I'm swinging well, I have no problem hitting blades well. In my case, ability isn't the problem, it's all about consistency.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

I would suggest checking out the Callaway Razr X hybrid. This club saves me after short tee shots round after round. I have the 3H and the 4H. I wish they made the 2H.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

you might check out titleist.I have a 585h that i absolutely love,I hit the newer ones and they are good too

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

The one you're the most comfortable standing over and that fits you the best is the only real answer, to be honest. Sure, I can throw out the ones I like/love, but if you're not comfortable with them and they don't fit, they won't work and you'll end up a club ***** like me...

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I use a 15* Adams Super Hybrid in place of a 3 Wood. Its one of the only clubs I've ever "had to have", I usually wait until the price drops but I'm still very happy with it. I've carried Nickents, Nike, and Taylor Made hybrids and the one noticeable difference with the Adams is the launch angle. This club launches very low compared to the others which I really like. I will say it is not the best club from the rough, probably because I don't hit it as high. Its a great compromise between a hibrid and a fairway wood.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I use a 15* Adams Super Hybrid in place of a 3 Wood.

I have been strongly considering replacing my 3W with a 15* hybrid. I can kill my 3W off the tee, but I've always struggled a little hitting it out of the fairway. The Mashie and Super Hybrid are the two contenders, since Swing Science doesn't make a 15* hybrid.

I've used a low lofted hybrid for years because I've always struggled with fairway woods. However, recently I've been hitting a friends Burner 3-wood on the range beautifully. It might be time for change. . .again!

i am just wanting to look for a hybrid that is more shaped like a fairway wood ive alws struggled with the "tiny" hybrids thats why i am looking at the adams black super hybrid and the superfast/superfast 2.0. everyone has been saying good things about the adams but i havent heard anything bout the TM. Noone plays the superfast?

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

i am just wanting to look for a hybrid that is more shaped like a fairway wood ive alws struggled with the "tiny" hybrids thats why i am looking at the adams black super hybrid and the superfast/superfast 2.0. everyone has been saying good things about the adams but i havent heard anything bout the TM. Noone plays the superfast?

Go to the TM website and look at the sole photos for the Superfast and Rescue 11 TP. The sole for a hybrid or wood should be designed to minimize turf interaction. In fact that's one of TM's own selling points of its R11 over the R9 fairway. Just from the sole photos alone, I would personally not be inclined to favor the Superfast hybrid. Just an opinion.

Go to the TM website and look at the sole photos for the Superfast and Rescue 11 TP. The sole for a hybrid or wood should be designed to minimize turf interaction. In fact that's one of TM's own selling points of its R11 over the R9 fairway. Just from the sole photos alone, I would personally not be inclined to favor the Superfast hybrid. Just an opinion.

wisewords from grandmaster spy

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Why do you prefer a hybrid that looks more like a fairway? Do you hit them like fairway woods or irons?

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Why do you prefer a hybrid that looks more like a fairway? Do you hit them like fairway woods or irons?

i just like slightly bigger hybrids with more weight at the back because i want my long shots to come in higher and softer.

I hit my hybrids like how i hit my 4 iron but i have had trouble with hitting hybrids before always hooking them. Been doing a lot better with a 5 wood.

The thing is i feel like i am putting myself at a disadvantage by playing a 3 iron still i dont always hit them pure so I am looking for a forgiving hybrid to fill the gap bw my 4iron and 5 wood

AT my proshop i cant get any Adams but i am really liking the Idea v3 tech. What is available to me right now is the G15, Superfast and the Titleist.

However the titleist seems to be a little bit outside my price range and also with the slightly smaller head im not sure i can handle such a compact hybrid with nightmareish shots from a Tm Rescue Tp 09 i had previously.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I'm a bit confused, you're saying you want a hybrid for distance, yet you're wanting it to replace a 3 iron and hit it like an iron?

Notice that when I was discussing the Adams 15* SuperHybrid, I am using that to replace a 3 WOOD! I'm hitting it 220-240, its a par 5 approach club or layup club for me. I use a 21* TaylorMade Burner hybrid in place of a 3 Iron and it is a very different club than the Adams. Its a 190-210 club for me. It is very forgiving and I launch that thing into orbit! I really like both clubs, but I use and hit the 15* like a fairway wood typically, and use and hit the 21* like an iron typically. The nice thing about hybrids is they both can be hit both ways, but they are very different clubs. The 21* Taylor made is much much more forgiving than the Adams imo.

I'm a bit confused, you're saying you want a hybrid for distance, yet you're wanting it to replace a 3 iron and hit it like an iron?

Notice that when I was discussing the Adams 15* SuperHybrid, I am using that to replace a 3 WOOD! I'm hitting it 220-240, its a par 5 approach club or layup club for me. I use a 21* TaylorMade Burner hybrid in place of a 3 Iron and it is a very different club than the Adams. Its a 190-210 club for me. It is very forgiving and I launch that thing into orbit! I really like both clubs, but I use and hit the 15* like a fairway wood typically, and use and hit the 21* like an iron typically. The nice thing about hybrids is they both can be hit both ways, but they are very different clubs. The 21* Taylor made is much much more forgiving than the Adams imo.

tyk i wanted a hybrid that would give me forgiveness and consitency so i can hit 195 distance more often because for my 3 iron i hit it pure less than i win the lottery. the gap i had between my 5 wood and 4 iron is too large now and i figured with a 3 hybrid i can hit tht 200 yard dist more consistently.

yesterday i drove out to a golf shop that stocked adams and the guy there had me try a 22deg V3 tech and a 21 deg Black Superhybrid. I hit the V3 around the 195-200 mark a lot better than the Black Superhybrid on the launch monitor and the shots were launching higher by a little(i figured with a little bit more height my shots shd stop better on the greens). I decided to go with the V3 cus it also has a slightly smaller sole and i am gonna try it when i have my ball in the rough and see how it performs

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

and i guess ive changed my swing quite a bit frm when i had my rescue club from 2 years ago i am hitting the hybrid now like a long iron with the ball slightly forward of centre and behind my left heel.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

That sounds like a good decision to me NinjaC, the SuperHybrid is about as close as you can get to a traditional fairway wood as possible while still being considered a "hybrid"! They are not as easy to hit as hybrids imo.

Let us know how it works out!

and i guess ive changed my swing quite a bit frm when i had my rescue club from 2 years ago i am hitting the hybrid now like a long iron with the ball slightly forward of centre and behind my left heel.

I was just curious because lots of guys trouble hitting hybrids stem from seeing the larger head and thinking fairway wood and as a result swinging it like one when it should be swung and hit like an iron, with the accompanying divot. That's why I asked the question. Sorry if it was confusing. I just see some people saying they can't hit a hybrid and then watch them hit it and it's forward in the stance like a fairway wood and they flatten the swing to hit it like a fairway.

I still think you should try one of the smaller headed 9031 pro black hybrids, a tour issue df model if you can afford it. They're stupid easy to hit, even with the smaller shape. I played them for a long time, and now have the Rescue11 because it blends better with my R11 driver and 3wood, but I miss the smaller profile of the 9031's. Hopefully I can get one of the new peanut proto's of the Rescue11 from my guy. They're smaller but still white.

In The Bag

I was just curious because lots of guys trouble hitting hybrids stem from seeing the larger head and thinking fairway wood and as a result swinging it like one when it should be swung and hit like an iron, with the accompanying divot. That's why I asked the question. Sorry if it was confusing. I just see some people saying they can't hit a hybrid and then watch them hit it and it's forward in the stance like a fairway wood and they flatten the swing to hit it like a fairway.

I still think you should try one of the smaller headed 9031 pro black hybrids, a tour issue df model if you can afford it. They're stupid easy to hit, even with the smaller shape. I played them for a long time, and now have the Rescue11 because it blends better with my R11 driver and 3wood, but I miss the smaller profile of the 9031's. Hopefully I can get one of the new peanut proto's of the Rescue11 from my guy. They're smaller but still white.

The peanut protos sure look nice, and so does the Adams Pro black 9031 theres jsut something about "smaller" hybrids that yells to me "im not a better player" so how can i handle a better players hybrid. ill go try the pro black at the shop again sometime this weekend and see if i get what you mean by them being stupid easy to hit( my handicap is 10 higher than urs)

i haven had the chance to go to the course this weekend due to uni n work commitments but i went to the range twice and hit abt half a buckets worth with the V3 Tech and im loving the flight. I just cant wait till i hit the course and try hitting it out of the rough when i miss the fairways( which is bound to happen)

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

anyone hit the r11 rescue? hows the flight, forgiveness? and most of all durability cus of the white paint?

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I haven't hit the R11 hybrids, but several in my group play the drivers and fairway woods and have had no issues with the paint. I wouldn't think it would be any different than any other paint as far as durability.

• 2 weeks later...

within the last 2 years i have switched from titleist to adams and i finally found the longest and easiest hybrid, i have a cobra baffler rail that is extremely long and forgiving, out of the rough it goes through it pretty good and still gets high in the air this hybrid is definately worth looking into

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys jst a lil update. so i ve finally nailed the hybrid slot in my bag. i was down to the v3 tech n the r11 and i chose the r11. the r11 just had a btter flight for me and the Rip shaft was just a pretty good combination. its got a pretty good medium ball flight very acurate been finding the green from the 180 mark a few times these 2 weeks all in all im a very happy chap

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• 2 months later...

I have the same hybrid, except mine is a 4/21 Rescue 11 and I set it to lower. I like the RIP alright, but when I swapped it for a Talamonti, the distance took off with it and it still comes in like a butterfly with sore feet. I nearly bought a 3/18 Rescue11 the other night that had the 105 RIP in it, which would also get swapped if I would've bought it. All in all, though, they're great hybrids. Also, as far as paint durability goes, mine doesn't have a mark on it yet, other than normal sole wear. I think you made an excellent choice.

In The Bag

Archived