Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Wedge Works?

AcesAndHoles

Hi all, 

TLDR: I need suggestions on new S and L wedges. I've tried the CBX2, RTX ZipCore, Wilson Staff Hi-Toe, and JAWS 5 and although they're all close, I like the feel in that order after my first hits. Thanks!

Story time: I'm looking for a new set of wedges to shore up my short game. I've tested a few different options so far and would welcome any suggestions/ recommendations. I presently run 4-P in the Wilson D7 Forged and recently purchased the matching G wedge to finish the set. P wedge is stock 44* G is 49*. I'm looking to buy S and L wedges. I'm comfortable hitting anything up to a 64* on full shots but struggle with consistent chipping and half shots (hence so many wedges). the 115-130 gap has been a weak spot for me but I've been forcing myself to learn to hit half-shots.🥴

Here's the avg data so far tested with range balls:

Columns are as follows                   Carry       Total     Spin        Ball Speed     Club Spd        Launch           Height (yds)      Smash

Wilson P +1/2 inch, MCC+4 Mid 135 138 8745 101 91 28.6 37 1.12  

BombTech 56*

94 94 7066 81 90 40.3 33 0.9  
CBX2 54* Rotex Shaft 98 99 8972 85 92 37.5 34 0.92  
Jaws 5 54* 104 105 8844 86 88 34.7 35 0.98  
Wilson Staff Hi-Toe 56* 94 95 9449 81.5   35.4 29.3    

BombTech60* 83 84 6622 76 91 43.4 31 0.84  
Zipcore 58* 86 86 7464 77 89 41.2 30 0.86  
Wilson Hi-Toe 60* 86 86 9155 74.4              35.4 23.6 0.82

I've moved on from the BombTech wedges so those are just for comparison to what I've been hitting. They were great as a set, especially for the cost, and a vast improvement from the motley assortment of second-hand wedges I was given by friends, but not for me.

- From a dispersion standpoint the RTX (1.66yds) had the tightest deviations and the Staff Hi-Toe 56* (4.4yds) had the worst with the CBX2 (2.74yds) and the Jaws (4yds) in the middle.

- I noticed I consistently hit the RTX towards the heel in comparison to the other clubs which was not entirely confidence inspiring.

- Consideration is given to the CBX2 since it had a graphite shaft and the rest were stock steel. It also had the most muted feel which was to be expected. 

- The Jaws had the distance and efficiency, hands down and I suspect I can eke another 10 yards easily out of the 54* but had the worst feel comparatively.

- Wilson had absolutely wild spin ability that I don't think was accurately captured on the sim. Balls were literally flying/bouncing back out of the hitting bay from the amount of spin on them. 

Overall I'm looking for consistency/ forgiveness and confidence in my chipping and pitching but honestly am not sure what direction to go in since I seem to hit most of these clubs pretty well on a mat indoors. I hit almost everything square and don't bother with shaping shots or opening up the face (dabbling with it in the sand now). I guess the biggest improvement I'd like to see from a new purchase is my ability to get on the green consistently from the surrounding rough/sand, and closer to the pin so that I'm not calculating in a lag putt or 3+ putt because I'm now stuck on the edge of a green 70 feet away from the hole. 

To those of you who actually read this whole thing... wow... thank you 😄

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

Don't know how far you hit the 49* gap wedge.  Knowing the gaps between PW and GW will help determine if you need to bend the GW which would help with your next wedge.  If I were going strictly based on loft I would  look at a 54/58 setup instead of 56/60.   I would also get distances with the ball you play and not range balls. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Don't know how far you hit the 49* gap wedge.  Knowing the gaps between PW and GW will help determine if you need to bend the GW which would help with your next wedge.  If I were going strictly based on loft I would  look at a 54/58 setup instead of 56/60.   I would also get distances with the ball you play and not range balls. 

Logically it's the next step but it's somehwere being built with no ETA of arrival. And definitely, I'll have to sneak some decent balls in to get better numbers but the ones above are a start. For reference I was hitting the 52* BombTech about 110-115yd on-course but it left something to be desired even on the best of contact. My old G was 48* in my AP1 712 set and sniping 110yds but my swing has definitely changed and distance has improved. I'm guessing the D7F Gap (read, hoping) is going to slot into the 120yd range.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

29 minutes ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Hi all, 

TLDR: I need suggestions on new S and L wedges. I've tried the CBX2, RTX ZipCore, Wilson Staff Hi-Toe, and JAWS 5 and although they're all close, I like the feel in that order after my first hits. Thanks!

Story time: I'm looking for a new set of wedges to shore up my short game. I've tested a few different options so far and would welcome any suggestions/ recommendations. I presently run 4-P in the Wilson D7 Forged and recently purchased the matching G wedge to finish the set. P wedge is stock 44* G is 49*. I'm looking to buy S and L wedges. I'm comfortable hitting anything up to a 64* on full shots but struggle with consistent chipping and half shots (hence so many wedges). the 115-130 gap has been a weak spot for me but I've been forcing myself to learn to hit half-shots.🥴

Here's the avg data so far tested with range balls:

Columns are as follows                   Carry       Total     Spin        Ball Speed     Club Spd        Launch           Height (yds)      Smash

Wilson P +1/2 inch, MCC+4 Mid 135 138 8745 101 91 28.6 37 1.12  

BombTech 56*

94 94 7066 81 90 40.3 33 0.9  
CBX2 54* Rotex Shaft 98 99 8972 85 92 37.5 34 0.92  
Jaws 5 54* 104 105 8844 86 88 34.7 35 0.98  
Wilson Staff Hi-Toe 56* 94 95 9449 81.5   35.4 29.3    

BombTech60* 83 84 6622 76 91 43.4 31 0.84  
Zipcore 58* 86 86 7464 77 89 41.2 30 0.86  
Wilson Hi-Toe 60* 86 86 9155 74.4              35.4 23.6 0.82

I've moved on from the BombTech wedges so those are just for comparison to what I've been hitting. They were great as a set, especially for the cost, and a vast improvement from the motley assortment of second-hand wedges I was given by friends, but not for me.

- From a dispersion standpoint the RTX (1.66yds) had the tightest deviations and the Staff Hi-Toe 56* (4.4yds) had the worst with the CBX2 (2.74yds) and the Jaws (4yds) in the middle.

- I noticed I consistently hit the RTX towards the heel in comparison to the other clubs which was not entirely confidence inspiring.

- Consideration is given to the CBX2 since it had a graphite shaft and the rest were stock steel. It also had the most muted feel which was to be expected. 

- The Jaws had the distance and efficiency, hands down and I suspect I can eke another 10 yards easily out of the 54* but had the worst feel comparatively.

- Wilson had absolutely wild spin ability that I don't think was accurately captured on the sim. Balls were literally flying/bouncing back out of the hitting bay from the amount of spin on them. 

Overall I'm looking for consistency/ forgiveness and confidence in my chipping and pitching but honestly am not sure what direction to go in since I seem to hit most of these clubs pretty well on a mat indoors. I hit almost everything square and don't bother with shaping shots or opening up the face (dabbling with it in the sand now). I guess the biggest improvement I'd like to see from a new purchase is my ability to get on the green consistently from the surrounding rough/sand, and closer to the pin so that I'm not calculating in a lag putt or 3+ putt because I'm now stuck on the edge of a green 70 feet away from the hole. 

To those of you who actually read this whole thing... wow... thank you 😄

There is some really good data for full shots here.  I don't mean to complicate things, but will you be able to test these wedges with various greenside lies and from the sand.  There is a lot to consider in the short game, bounce and grinds, ja?  

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at new wedges also, looked at the Taylormde,  Calloway, Ping and Mizuno.  Hit them all well with similar results.  The new Mizuno es21's then came in, got better spin, feel and less dispersion then the others.  If you can give them a try.  Only  thing I did not like is they start at 54, no 50.

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter