League Play From the Middle of the Pack - 2021 edition

Well... Alllllll-righty then!

This week's round was a lot better. I played just about as good as I ever have for most of the front 9. At +1 through 7 holes I was feeling pretty good, but then my big stupid brain said 'hey look at that, only 1 over through 7', and convinced me I needed to hit my tee shot on the 8th OB and card a quad bogey. That, however, was the extent of any real damage. I was a little more average on the back 9, but I wound up with 42/43-85 making 9 pars in the round. Good for B-flight 2nd place.

I had a really good playing lesson with my coach on Friday before this round, and the swing keys carried over. Best example, I took the Close-to-pin honors on the first par-3, a 180 yard hole for the B-flight. And, I did it with my 5-iron, which seems to be the trouble maker club in my bag most of the time.

Still waiting for the official results to post to the league site, but the points from this week will be a big boost for me in the Top-6 standings, and puts me in a really solid position to make the invitational. So, goal number 1 is looking pretty good so far.

I've still got a couple of things to work on though. The swing key from the lesson did wonders for the iron play, but left my driver a bit weak and slicey. I'll need to get that back in order. Still need to get better on missed greens, so there will be a lot more short game work for me coming up. Both this round, and my playing lesson round, included several three putts. So yeah, that 85 included a quad bogey and four three putt greens, two for bogey and only one from real three putt territory. Frustrating part of that is I also had a two putt from about 90 feet in the round. Lots of positives to take from that.

• Like 1

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Rossie

Last weeks results were just updated in the standings. I knocked out a 6 point round with 33 points this week, so that gave me a pretty good boost in the standings. I'm sitting 8th in the Top-6 standings, and 9th overall at the 1/2-way mark of the season. Starting to relax a bit on qualifying for post season play.

• Like 1

About to make the trek up to Ocala for this weeks event at Candler Hills. I'm calling this week "A Flight's Revenge". The tee setup puts both flights on the same tees at 6600 yards. All the par 3 holes are 170+, and there is a 620 yard par 5 to boot. Just trying to survive this one and earn some points. It will still be fun though.

https://www.candlerhillsgolfclub.com/

• Like 1

Aaaaand We Have A Winner!!

After a mediocre front nine 45 that was a mix of pars and double bogeys, I put together a really solid back nine 39 for an 84 gross, net 69! First time under 40 for nine holes in a long while. That was still good enough to take home the B-Flight first place for the week. That should give me a little boost in the standings as we get into the 2nd half of the season. I'll update again once the results and standings post.

Still a few things to work on out of this round. I struggled to get my chip shots close to the hole. I got rescued by some pretty strong putting today. All in all though, feeling pretty good after turning in a solid round.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:17 AM, GregB135 said:

About to make the trek up to Ocala for this weeks event at Candler Hills. I'm calling this week "A Flight's Revenge". The tee setup puts both flights on the same tees at 6600 yards. All the par 3 holes are 170+, and there is a 620 yard par 5 to boot. Just trying to survive this one and earn some points. It will still be fun though.

https://www.candlerhillsgolfclub.com/

It definitely felt like "A Flight's Revenge" out there on the course. Most of the 6600 yards though felt like it was on that one long par 5 and the four par 3's. Just to make it interesting the 620 yard hole was playing into the wind for us, so it was more like 700 yards. Unfortunately I took a double on that one after an OB approach shot. I think the par 3s got into my head. They all played between 170 and 180, and on three of them that left me using my 5-iron, the one club in the bag I seem to struggle with. Didn't make  GIR on any of them, but managed one par, two bogeys, and a 6 I'd rather not think about. 

For me, it was definitely a 'good, bad, and ugly' kind of round. The good, 10 pars on the day and B-Flight first place. The bad, two double-bogeys from three penalty strokes on a front nine that was feast or famine with pars and double bogey +'s. The ugly, also on the front 9 that triple-bogey 6 on a par three (without any penalty strokes). At the end of it all though, it wound up being a pretty good total, 84 for net 69.

I've played fairly steady so far, so with this round added into the standings I'm sitting in 4th and 8th on the Top-6 and overall leader boards respectively.

Still working on short game to improve up/down percentage, and another lesson today with the swing coach to try and tighten things up a bit if we can.

Next event is the 2-man in two weeks. Interesting format in that one. More to follow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies, I've neglected the last couple of updates.

We had the two-man team event, a couple of weeks ago at Eaglebrooke Golf Club in Lakeland. Unfortunately for my teammate, I only showed up with my C+ game for most of the round, and we wound up in the bottom 5 for the week. I honestly only hit about 4 shots in the round that could have been called decent to good.

Eaglebrooke is a great facility, look for the review to be posted shortly. We played a cool format for this event as well, called Chap. In that format, both players play a tee shot with each playing the others ball from that position. After the second shot it becomes scramble through the hole. We played slightly modifies so on par 3 holes it played as a straight scramble rather than swapping tee ball positions. If you are looking for a good team event format, this was a lot of fun and kept play moving pretty well.

We had a two week break between Eaglebrooke and our next event which was a league "Major". We played this one on Lake Jovita's South course, a challenging layout with really tough, fast greens. 

I fared a lot better in this one. I had a great round tee-to-green, tallying 10/14 FIR, and 10/18 GIR, both better than average for me. I had a tough day with the putter though, and without a single one-putt green on the day rang up 40 total putts, about +8 to average for me. That included a two hole stretch where I really lost the feel of the greens and had a 3-putt followed by a 4-putt. I know it sounds awful, but it was really only awful on those two greens. I hit a lot of good putts, and a couple of great ones, that just didn't go in the hole. End result was a solid feeling 85 net 71, good for 8th overall and B-flight 5th. Winners for the week had net scores of 65 and 67, so just getting a few putts to fall would have put me in the top 3 or better, but I'm not focusing on that. I had a solid round, with a top-10 finish and earned a bunch of points. 

What does all that tell me? Well, the things I was practicing were better, and where my practice got neglected, things were worse. I had not been practicing my putting like usual, because I was waiting for my clubs renovated practice green to be cut down to playing height. Up until this past Sunday, it was really long, squishy, and slow, so I didn't want to put a bunch of practice time in having to slam three footers at the hole expecting to play on much faster greens. At the same time, I went back to a couple of previous full swing drills, and a swing thought/feel of bringing my hands through more to the left of my body and my full swing game has been pretty strong in the last couple of practice rounds, and definitely in this latest league event.

Standings wise, this round put me into a really good position. On the Top-6 board, I moved up to 3rd place, only 1.5 points behind first place. It will take a really good finish to move out any of my current top-6 scores, which also means it will be tough to move down very far from where I am. Looking very good to be in the end of season Invitational field. Goal #1 likely! On the overall board, since I've played every event so far, and only had one bad individual round, I'm sitting in 8th place. With only four events remaining, including the final Major, I look pretty good to stay in the top 20 and auto qualify for the team cup. I can play a little more relaxed from here, where in seasons past I was putting pressure on myself to play well needing to post good scores to move up the board.

Our event this week is at the Innisbrook Copperhead course, home of the PGA Tour's Valspar Championship. Always a favorite stop for the league. 

Practice green, here I come....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little extra practice time on the putting green didn't turn out to help all that much.

The league made out annual visit to Copperhead this past week, and unfortunately the famed Snake Pit took a bit out of me in the round. I had what can only be described as a 'meh' round. I felt like I wasn't able to capitalize on my good shots, and my misses proved a lot more costly than they did last time out at Lake Jovita.

For example, I played two of the par 5s with a perfect tee shot, and well placed 2nd, only to miss the green with wedges and make bogeys. Putting was a bit below average again with an average over 2.0/hole and 37 total putts. Again, I had a few good putts that just didn't roll in, but nothing on the day I would have called a great putt. Short game was a disappointment all round with at least two 'two-chip' greens. If there was a short game bright spot, it was bunker play. I gave myself LOTS of opportunities to test it during the front 9, and again, it was 'okay, not great'.

What did 'okay, not great' earn me for the week? A gross 92 net 76 and a finish dead in the middle of the pack. I'll try to take encouragement from the fact I felt I played below average but still managed to be in the middle of the field.

Next up is the two-day major being played at the Streamsong Resort's Blue and Red courses. It will be my first time playing with a caddie, as well as my first visit to the resort. But first,... some short game and putting practice.

• Like 1