Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cheap Grips

Had a friend buy some cheap Grips on Amazon and ask me to install them for him. 

I'll get some photos and send them. Short version, they are a MCC4 knock off called salzire? I think. They are grey and black and there is a noticable difference (they had been my old go to for grips) however they don't feel that bad. The cord is more prominent on the top hand and they do have that smell of cheaper grips. 

However, what do you all think is the main difference between cheaper and premium grips? If we regrip clubs often enough and they don't get too worn or cheaper grips still last say the season is it not maybe beneficial to save and get them done more often? 

The kit was $65 shipped for 13 grips, tape, solvent, knife and shaft holder. So great deal overall and I'm curious how they will perform for him. 

Would love to hear all of your opinions on them (cheaper grips) and why you go with more expensive or cheaper grips as a whole? What benefits do you get and see on one vs another?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I had bought a set of superstroke grips for irons as my first time putting grips on my clubs on my own. 
looking back they may have been knock offs? I am not sure but I had got them for around $50 I believe. 
they were great for a few rounds but wore smooth pretty quick. I am glad I went with cheap for my first trial on putting grips on because I screwed up the first 2 (not enough mineral oil) but would not purchase them again now. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I play Karma tour velvet often. To me they don’t feel any different than GP ones.  As often as I change clubs cheap grips make sense for me. Lol

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Lacassem and I used aftermarket grips for my 1, 3, 5 Taylor made Bubble Shafts a couple years ago and they still feel great!

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I play Karma tour velvet often. To me they don’t feel any different than GP ones.  As often as I change clubs cheap grips make sense for me. Lol

Do they have that terrible toxic smell of cheap grips or no? 

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Had a friend buy some cheap Grips on Amazon and ask me to install them for him. 

I'll get some photos and send them. Short version, they are a MCC4 knock off called salzire? I think. They are grey and black and there is a noticable difference (they had been my old go to for grips) however they don't feel that bad. The cord is more prominent on the top hand and they do have that smell of cheaper grips. 

However, what do you all think is the main difference between cheaper and premium grips? If we regrip clubs often enough and they don't get too worn or cheaper grips still last say the season is it not maybe beneficial to save and get them done more often? 

The kit was $65 shipped for 13 grips, tape, solvent, knife and shaft holder. So great deal overall and I'm curious how they will perform for him. 

Would love to hear all of your opinions on them (cheaper grips) and why you go with more expensive or cheaper grips as a whole? What benefits do you get and see on one vs another?

Interesting question - my initial thought was "you get what you pay for", but then I thought; are 'cheap' grips any different that buying DTC golf balls. I use GP CPX and MCC+4 and they've held up well over the years. In the scheme of things grips are the least expensive part of my golf purchases so I probably wouldn't be interested. However, I can see where others may be interested in a cheaper solution perhaps  HQ could do a test of these off brand grips.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

56 minutes ago, Triple_Putt said:

Do they have that terrible toxic smell of cheap grips or no? 

Not that I can tell but my sense of smell has been kinda messed since getting Covid 2 years ago

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'll get some photos and send them. Short version, they are a MCC4 knock off called salzire?

Saplize.

I bought their regripping kit, but not their grips. I took a look at them online, The cords definitely show up on the corded part of the grip. I don’t know if that’sa good or bad thing.

FWIW,

GP MCC4 in the US is US $12 a grip
GP MCC4 in the UK is US $13
GP MCC4 in Denmark is US $20
Saplize version works out to US $7.50, grip kit included (if shipped to me in Denmark).

That’s a heck of a savings, and I almost pulled the trigger, but among all the positive reviews, I came across a couple constructive ones, among them talking about the color running if the solvent gets on the outside of the grip. 

Here’s one of the most in-depth reviews:

Background info: have been building my own golf clubs from components for 20+ years and play to a 15 handicap. So...needed new grips for an iron set reshaft and didn't want to break the bank. The currently wonderful economy (sarc) has killed my retirement, so I thought I'd take a chance on these as the price was good and didn't have many bad reviews overall. I used a set of shafts that were pulled from another set of irons I had previously reshafted; these shafts had the Golfpride CP2 Pro grips already on them. Dry fitted the heads-shafts for swingweight and tip-weighted accordingly. THEN I bought these Saplize hybrid grips in midsize (size based on other review comments) to change out the grips. Midsize worked out great! The only problem is these Saplize hybrid midsize grips are on average ~20 grams heavier than the CP2's, and the end result is a 4+ point lighter swingweight. The weight consistency of these grips was good, all within 2 grams, most were 76g, three were 75g, and one was 74g. The grips themselves feel really good; I think these will work out well. I haven't been able to hit the irons yet to see if the lighter swingweight will be an issue or not. If it is, I can always do the good old lead tape fix to adjust a little. Next time, I'll dry fit with the correct components. Some reviewers mentioned colors fading because of solvent. If you get solvent on the outside of a grip DO NOT RUB; just "dab" it off with a cloth and there will be no color fading/running. Also, I used my regular grip tape, not the tape that came with the grips...and plenty of solvent. I had no problems with installation. Overall, I think these will work out fine. They are not as high quality finish-wise as a GP, but they ARE less than half the price and still very playable! Durability is still a question, but at this price I can afford to change them out more often if needed. Overall, I am pleased with the Saplize Hybrid midsize and will probably buy again. If you need grips that are economical and still very playable you should give these try.

TL;DR:  Grips are heavier, colors run but can be mitigated. If anyone is on a grip budget, then these grips are probably fine. But to be sure, Saplize are “rougher” as a finished product when compared to the standard grips available.

For me, I’ll just wait till the next time I’m in the States and grab some new grips (maybe stock up).

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S