Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How's Snell new golf balls- MTB Prime / MTB Prime X

ITMW

I have not, but I always liked the MTB X in the past.  Would be very interested to see what the Prime version is, and how these perform in comparison.

Titleist TSR2 10* Tensei AV X-Link Blue 55 R-Flex 

Titleist TSR2 3W (15*) / 5W (18*) Tensei AV X-Link Blue 65 R-Flex

Titleist TSR2 4H (21*)/ 5H (24*) Tensei AV Blue 65 R-Flex

Titleist TS200 3G 6-PW Tensei AV Red AM2 R-Flex  

Titleist Vokey SM8 50/8 F-grind, 54/10 S-grind, 58/14 K-grind N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour125 S-Flex

Kirkland KS1 Putter w/ 20G weights and 50g counterweight

I picked up a dozen Prime and got them in just before I played 90s over 3 days... let's just say I have less then a dozen now. I think I lost a dozen balls over this time maybe 5 were Snell 

I need to do a full test and writeup but a few quick points.

Feel: Fine.. didn't compare directly to others. But no concerns, a touch on the firm side but thats what I prefer and am used to

Performance: Good did not have any concerns with any of the shots I hit. Flew good had expected spin and trajectory. 

Durability: How many did I lose? Actually I think I lost most day 1. So I think there were maybe 16 holes straight with the same ball and they held up great no major scuff marks. 

Aesthetics: Not a huge fan of the new logo but thats the least important piece. Outside of the I like the addition alignment, I didn't necessarily notice a color difference but again didn't compare to other balls.

Hopefully that gives you some quick hitters. I hope to get to the practice green this week and get some comparisons.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

23 hours ago, pozzit said:

I picked up a dozen Prime and got them in just before I played 90s over 3 days... let's just say I have less then a dozen now. I think I lost a dozen balls over this time maybe 5 were Snell 

I need to do a full test and writeup but a few quick points.

Feel: Fine.. didn't compare directly to others. But no concerns, a touch on the firm side but thats what I prefer and am used to

Performance: Good did not have any concerns with any of the shots I hit. Flew good had expected spin and trajectory. 

Durability: How many did I lose? Actually I think I lost most day 1. So I think there were maybe 16 holes straight with the same ball and they held up great no major scuff marks. 

Aesthetics: Not a huge fan of the new logo but thats the least important piece. Outside of the I like the addition alignment, I didn't necessarily notice a color difference but again didn't compare to other balls.

Hopefully that gives you some quick hitters. I hope to get to the practice green this week and get some comparisons.

How would you compare the spin to a Pro V? I play Vice but never quite the the same spin out of them. Looking into the new Snell or Maxfil

Untitled design-3.png

6 hours ago, knotthead17 said:

How would you compare the spin to a Pro V? I play Vice but never quite the the same spin out of them. Looking into the new Snell or Maxfil

From the course testing (without direct comparison) they serve performing well had good check on chip shots and settles nicely in approaches. I did have any sim data to compare but ill being a few ProV1s out to the practice area with me when I go.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I can provide some information based on reviews and feedback from golfers and experts.

Snell is known for producing high-quality golf balls, and the MTB Prime / MTB Prime X are no exception. Both balls feature a 4-piece construction with a soft urethane cover and a low compression core, which provides exceptional feel and control around the green.

The MTB Prime is designed to offer a balance of distance and spin, making it suitable for golfers with a moderate swing speed. The MTB Prime X, on the other hand, is designed for golfers with faster swing speeds who want more distance and a lower ball flight.

According to reviews, both balls perform well in terms of distance, spin, and feel, and many golfers find them to be comparable to other high-end balls on the market. However, some golfers have reported durability issues with the MTB Prime X, noting that the cover can scuff easily.

Overall, Snell's MTB Prime and MTB Prime X golf balls are worth considering for golfers who are looking for a high-quality ball with excellent performance characteristics.

I have a dozen waiting for me at the office.  Excited to try them out.  I used to play the MTB-x and liked it.  Still searching for a replacement, and leaning toward the On Core VERO X1 (which performed well for me) or ProV1.  Was excited about the Srixon Z Star Diamond, which was decent off the tee, but it had so much iron spin it would lose velocity and fall dead out of the sky.   Maybe the new Snells can be the MTBx replacement I am looking for.  

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

• 2 weeks later...

I got a dozen of the test pack last week. Here's my initial impressions.

I'm a 3 handicap with Driver swing speed between 100-105 MPH. I previously tried the MTB Black/MTB-X test pack. I found the MTB Black did not have enough spin; it dropped out of the air. I gave them away. I found the MTB-X a much better ball, but still 10-15 yards shorter off the tee than my standard Pro V1.

With the MTB Prime-X and MTB Prime, I found them both to perform very much the same with the irons and around the greens, and very much like Pro V1s. But with the MTB Prime-X, I found it performed exactly like the MTB-X -- it consistently was 10-20 yards shorter than the Pro V1 off the tee. Towards the end of the test round, I broke out the MTB Prime; I didn't try it initially and focused on the Prime-X because I expected the Prime to act like the MTB Black. I was surprised to find that the two drives comparing the MTB Prime with the Prime-X resulted in the MTB Prime going 10-15 yards longer than the Prime-X. 

So I'm confident that the Prime-X is not going to make the cut. But I'm cautiously optimistic that the MTB Prime has some potential to stack up against the Pro V1. I'll hopefully find some time in the coming weeks to give the MTB Prime a bit more playing/comparison time on the course.

Damn! I've never heard of any premium ball being 10-20 yards shorter than another. That sucks.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5