Stiff or regular

So I went and got fitted about a year ago for a full iron set and the fitter told me I was on the border between stiff and regular so I went with stiff because I was still pretty new to golf and thought my swing would get faster but I’ve been meeting with a instructor and I’ve actually slowed my swing down and focused on precision but I’ve lost a lot of my distance would switching to a regular shaft help gain that back or would it just put me back to hitting far but inaccurate 

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

The general rule of thumb for iron shafts is to go with the most flexible shaft you can comfortably control. If you're between Regular and Stiff, that would probably mean going to Regular and seeing if your dispersion is acceptable.

The Regular shaft may help somewhat with distance, but if you've slowed down your swing anyway your distance will suffer as a result. For overall distance, ball speed is still king. No shaft will instantly give you more ball speed - the person swinging the club is responsible for generating that element. But a more flexible shaft may help in achieving this in your swing.

Best of luck in your golf game.

There is no border between stiff and regular. Flex has no standard in the industry. It’s a letter placed on a shaft brand for what the manufacturer of the shaft decides based on their measurements and scaling.

the only way to be between a regular and stiff is within the same shaft line and weigh class. Once you change shaft lines or weight class that comparison goes away.

There are shafts like the kbs tour regular flex that are stiffer that other brands stiff and shafts the modus 120 stiff that are softer than other brands stiff and will be a regular flex in some brands 

go get fit and take your instructor with you. Yo what a shaft that is the right weight class and right feel and that when combined with a club gets you in the right launch window.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For now, I would stick with what you have.  As @jaskanski said, a slower swing results in shorter distance.  You might gain a tiny bit of distance going with a regular flex in the same model shaft, but, for me, it wouldn't be worth the financial outlay unless it was for a big difference.  One thing to consider:  your speed has dropped as you take lessons.  That is not unusual.  As you get more comfortable with the changes, your speed will probably go back up.  You may end up hitting the ball farther than you were before taking lessons.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

1 minute ago, bellken said:

With a regular shaft you might gain some height and distance, but, as you gain more confidence in your golf swing, you will likely gain your speed back. 

There is no guarantee to at more height will come from a flex change, no to mention flex is pretty irrelevant when comparing different shaft lines,

also there no guarantee more speed comes from a lighter shaft. Most of the time the things people expect to change when switching shafts doesn’t happen and quite offer if things it’s not for the better.

As I stated earlier the stiffness people need to look at changing is the stiffness profile of the shaft. I’ll use UST Mamiya recoil shafts. They have a stiffer profile than some steel shafts in the same weight and flex lettering. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1