Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TSR2 driver underrated?

didsem

I was at a driver fitting recently and was surprised by the results with the Titleist TSR2. 

I was going into this fitting thinking i would probably ending up with a TSR3 or one of the other low spinning drivers from 2023.

The TSR2 was the clear winner in speed, dispersion and actually wasn't too spinny.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the TSR2 driver versus other releases this year?

D : Titleist TSR2 9˚ / Tour AD TP 6S

3W: TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15˚ / Tour AD IZ 7S

5W: TaylorMade Sim Ti 19˚ / Kinetixx Fairway

3i: Callaway X Forged UT 21˚ / Tour AD IZ 85S

5i-PW: Titleist T100S / Project X 6.0

50˚-54˚-58˚: SM8 / Project X wedge 6.0

P: Toulon Austin

Ball: Pro V1

26 minutes ago, didsem said:

I was at a driver fitting recently and was surprised by the results with the Titleist TSR2. 

I was going into this fitting thinking i would probably ending up with a TSR3 or one of the other low spinning drivers from 2023.

The TSR2 was the clear winner in speed, dispersion and actually wasn't too spinny.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the TSR2 driver versus other releases this year?

Unfortunately I have yet to hit the TSR2, but I am gaming the TSi3 which has been just a really good driver for me this season. 

I have seen several reviews and most all the feedback others I have seen with the TSR series have been stupid impressed with them. 

The update they did to the TSR2 compared to the TSi2 is phenomenal. Made it look a lot more TSi3 like and I can see so many leaning into the slight added forgiveness it offers and for those who don't care for added adjustability it could be a world beater. 

I have demoed the Paradym triple diamond and that was probably the best driver I have ever hit. It was a little annoying how good it was, so if I get a chance I would like to put those two head to head. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I want a TSR2 or TSR3 so bad. I bought a Callaway Rogue LS last year and now I'm annoyed I didn't wait. I want to trade it and get a TSR because they look so good and all of the reviews are good. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft Type 03 Putter

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Unfortunately I have yet to hit the TSR2, but I am gaming the TSi3 which has been just a really good driver for me this season. 

I have seen several reviews and most all the feedback others I have seen with the TSR series have been stupid impressed with them. 

The update they did to the TSR2 compared to the TSi2 is phenomenal. Made it look a lot more TSi3 like and I can see so many leaning into the slight added forgiveness it offers and for those who don't care for added adjustability it could be a world beater. 

I have demoed the Paradym triple diamond and that was probably the best driver I have ever hit. It was a little annoying how good it was, so if I get a chance I would like to put those two head to head. 

I played the TSi3 last year and actually loved it, then i tried a Paradym triple diamond like you and it impressed me so much that i has to go for a nes driver this year.

And that’s why the TSR2 impressed me so much, i would say every new release this year is so good, but then the TSR2 actually beat all the others.

I have always liked a smaller shape, but this TSR2 really looks more like a TSi3 than a TSi2.

5 minutes ago, CSiders12 said:

I want a TSR2 or TSR3 so bad. I bought a Callaway Rogue LS last year and now I'm annoyed I didn't wait. I want to trade it and get a TSR because they look so good and all of the reviews are good. 

You should absolutely test test them, The rouge were good, but mishits with this years drivers is so much better.

1 hour ago, didsem said:

All drivers are good. The only bad driver is the one that doesn’t fit you.

A little secret…the last few years on tour titleist has led the category of most drivers in play and many of the non contract players use them.

Also your fitting is a good example that how things are marketed is a baseline and will vary by golfer, but also the spin between the tsr2 and tsr3 in multiple tests is only a couple hundred rpm. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I hit my buddies TSR2 yesterday and was a big fan. I’m gaming a SIM2 and not loving it this year. I’m was thinking out scheduling a Titleist fitting in the coming weeks to look at Drivers.

:taylormade-small:  SIM2 10.5° - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 70

:taylormade-small:  SIM2 Max 3 wood - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

:cobra-small:  LTDx - 3 Hybrid - KBS PGI 85

:mizuno-small:  Pro 223 - 4/G  - True Temper Dynamic Gold x100

:cleveland-small:  588 RTX - 54/58° - True Temper Dynamic Gold 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 5 - Garsen Max 15

On 4/30/2023 at 6:24 AM, didsem said:

This is by far the biggest issue I've seen on courses. I see way more TSR3's than 2's from 15+ handicaps who should really be hitting the TSR2, but they think they are good enough for a TSR3. Yes, it's low spin, but its also less forgiving. Golf and the human ego are funny things. That 1 shot out of 10 that they middle, they hit longer, so they go for the 3, when they lose out on the other 9. It's not unique to Titleist either. I played with a guy who was using a Taylormade Stealth 2, more than ten years younger than me, and realistically, he should be hitting it 20 yards longer than me with his build, but consistently I was outdriving him by about 20 because the club is so unforgiving. I gave him my TSR2 to try out for a couple of holes, and he hit comparative shots to his Stealth, and he hit the TSR2 longer.

I'm a 7 handicap BTW

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
TSR2 15° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR and MCC +4, 
2 Iron T200 Utility and MCC +4, 
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick

32 minutes ago, MissionMan said:

This is by far the biggest issue I've seen on courses. I see way more TSR3's than 2's from 15+ handicaps who should really be hitting the TSR2, but they think they are good enough for a TSR3. Yes, it's low spin, but its also less forgiving. Golf and the human ego are funny things. That 1 shot out of 10 that they middle, they hit longer, so they go for the 3, when they lose out on the other 9. It's not unique to Titleist either. I played with a guy who was using a Taylormade Stealth 2, more than ten years younger than me, and realistically, he should be hitting it 20 yards longer than me with his build, but consistently I was outdriving him by about 20 because the club is so unforgiving. I gave him my TSR2 to try out for a couple of holes, and he hit comparative shots to his Stealth, and he hit the TSR2 longer.

I'm a 7 handicap BTW

Have you asked any of those golfers if they were fit or are you just assuming they who bought a driver?

Also the spin between the two drivers is about 200 rpm which isn’t nearly neglible.

Also there are several members here who were it into the tsr3 despite being double digit handicaps and not necessarily fast swings. I’ve seen the same on other forums. 

While the tsr2 maybe marketed as more forgiving it all comes down to getting the right launch characteristics regardless of what the handicap or speed is.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Have you asked any of those golfers if they were fit or are you just assuming they who bought a driver?

Also the spin between the two drivers is about 200 rpm which isn’t nearly neglible.

Also there are several members here who were it into the tsr3 despite being double digit handicaps and not necessarily fast swings. I’ve seen the same on other forums. 

While the tsr2 maybe marketed as more forgiving it all comes down to getting the right launch characteristics regardless of what the handicap or speed is.

I've asked plenty of them because I was interested to hear why they went that path. Many of them are fitted, but they are fitted to a specific club, rather than the best club for them.

I spent some time chatting with the fitters after one of the fittings, and he said many of the customers come in with a set idea of what they want and can't be convinced to consider alternatives. A friend has a TSR3 so they want to same. As a result, a fitter has to fit them into a TSR3 despite knowing it's not the right club for them, and all they can do is fit the best shaft.  

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 

1 hour ago, MissionMan said:

I've asked plenty of them because I was interested to hear why they went that path. Many of them are fitted, but they are fitted to a specific club, rather than the best club for them.

I spent some time chatting with the fitters after one of the fittings, and he said many of the customers come in with a set idea of what they want and can't be convinced to consider alternatives. A friend has a TSR3 so they want to same. As a result, a fitter has to fit them into a TSR3 despite knowing it's not the right club for them, and all they can do is fit the best shaft.  

Nothing wrong with being fitted to a specific club, the fitting is still going to put them in the nest setup. I’ve gone to several fittings for a single oem with the intention of buying that brands club and nothing else.

The fitter asks what I’m looking for and I tell them specifically my goal is to walk out of the fitting with the best setup they have for me. 

Some people unfortunately are hard headed and there’s also nothing wrong with that. Each person gets to enjoy the game the way they want. I know guys who play the same loft and will get the same shaft in the same weight and flex for their driver everytime they buy a new one despite it not being their best option. Why? Because it’s what they know and they like familiarity. Also they go out and fun golfing with the group 3 times a week on the same two courses and shoot good scores and bad scores. They go in the bar afterward and enjoy bsing for a couple hours then go home.

18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nothing wrong with being fitted to a specific club, the fitting is still going to put them in the nest setup. I’ve gone to several fittings for a single oem with the intention of buying that brands club and nothing else.

The fitter asks what I’m looking for and I tell them specifically my goal is to walk out of the fitting with the best setup they have for me. 

Some people unfortunately are hard headed and there’s also nothing wrong with that. Each person gets to enjoy the game the way they want. I know guys who play the same loft and will get the same shaft in the same weight and flex for their driver everytime they buy a new one despite it not being their best option. Why? Because it’s what they know and they like familiarity. Also they go out and fun golfing with the group 3 times a week on the same two courses and shoot good scores and bad scores. They go in the bar afterward and enjoy bsing for a couple hours then go home.

Yeah, agree. Each to their own. I do find it a little funny though. My view is simple: Do you want sexy clubs or a sexy scorecard? I prefer the latter. As a result, I'm gaming T300's and TSR2's. 

The human mind is weird though, we'll have a problem driving with a narrow fairway, but we'll try hit a ball through a one inch gap in the trees and see it as a makeable shot. 

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 

I hit it at my recent fitting. Wanted it to be a fit as the 907 D is an all time fave.

Didnt work for me - doesn’t mean it won’t work for others. Longest Cobra in the most recent MGS driver test was my shortest. 

At least the TR2 was my longest - just couldn’t find a fairway with it 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would not say underrated. Titleist has been getting rave reviews for the tsr lineup this year. I will say you don’t hear as much about the 2 or the 4 compared to the 3, but I do think that’s because the tsr3 is that right in between that fits a lot of swings. I personally think depending on what you are looking for they have an option. I have never been a titleist guy and went for a fitting and hit the 3 and 4 amongst others, and ended up with the tsr3 with ventus blue tr 6X. I already got the shaft, just waiting on the head to get in. (Purchased separately) 

I learned a valuable lesson about myself this year.  I was gaming the Titleist TSi2.  Went in to a "golf discount" place in my area just to hit the new TSR2.  I had no intention of buying anything, but walked out with a new TSR2 with Hazardous Smoke shaft.  I got all excited that I was hitting bombs and landing in the fairway on the indoor tracking station.  Of course, things change when you get onto the course. I really don't see much if any difference in length, dispersion, or playability.

Now of course, I went in the other day and hit the TSR3 and was hitting bombs and landing in the fairway on the indoor tracking station.  I didn't let the salesman [he called himself a fitter, but all he did was try to make the sale...most disappointing] talk me into another $700 purchase this time.  But every time I see a used TSR3 for sale I'm sorely tempted.  Sigh.  

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

Went through a driver fitting after having some issues with my now-old Callaway Rogue ST Max, tried pretty much every driver head out right now and TSR2 gave me the best numbers for height, carry, and forgiveness. Pretty significant gains to my gamer (which I bought used without testing), so I bought a regular TSR2 and stuck my old Ventus blue 5 R for now. Now I just have to find myself a Ventus Red 6 S shaft to get the exact specs from the fitting.

:titleist-small:  TSR 2 10°  :Fuji:  Ventus TR Red Velocore 5 S

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 18° :Fuji:  Ventus Red Velocore 6 R

:taylormade-small:  SiM2 Rescue 4 Hybrid 22°

:mizuno-small: Pro 225 5 ~ PW, GW Nippon Modus 3 105 R

:vokey-small: SM8 54° S grind, 58° D grind

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter

I got fitted into the TSr2, and I’m a 7 capper- I could have gone with the 3 as well hit balls were longer- but the real truth is that unless you are scratch or better, you just don’t hit the sweetspot every time-

but the 2 is still very long on perfect strikes. And better yet, it’s still long on off center strikes, which is where I live. It’s got a HUGE face of forgiveness. 
not an underrated club in my eyes.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes