Putter Fitting

JustSmitty

I am going to do a putter fitting this afternoon at the PGA Tour Superstore.  Anything I should make sure to ask or do during the fitting?

Ping G410 Driver

Ping G430 3 Wood

4-W Ping i525

48, 56, 60 Various Ping Wedges

36 minutes ago, JustSmitty said:

I am going to do a putter fitting this afternoon at the PGA Tour Superstore.  Anything I should make sure to ask or do during the fitting?

Id make sure to try putters of different lengths and different toe hang/face balance.

If you are quickly guided to a 34' slight toe hang putter,  it's still good to try a 33' with lots of hang, etc. If nothing else to confirm that what you are getting fit into really is the best option.

Also,  price doesn't correlate to performance. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 minute ago, Thin2win said:

Id make sure to try putters of different lengths and different toe hang/face balance.

If you are quickly guided to a 34' slight toe hang putter,  it's still good to try a 33' with lots of hang, etc. If nothing else to confirm that what you are getting fit into really is the best option.

Also,  price doesn't correlate to performance. 

Great tips!!  Thank you.  I am playing with a 34.5" right now, and it is starting to feel a bit short for me.

Ping G410 Driver

Ping G430 3 Wood

4-W Ping i525

47 minutes ago, JustSmitty said:

What does the fitting entail and how will the putter be evaluated?   Technology based like Puttlab, Quintic, Capto?  Just rolling the ball on a mat like perfect putt?   Is it a Setup, Startline and distance control evaluation or just a what looks good and let’s make sure it is soled flat on the ground?   

what are you hoping to learn from the fitting?  If your answer is just what putter works best for me, there is probably no questions.   If you w at to dive into why is the selected putter best for me and why others aren’t then you can get into multiple hours worth of questions.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

What does the fitting entail and how will the putter be evaluated?   Technology based like Puttlab, Quintic, Capto?  Just rolling the ball on a mat like perfect putt?   Is it a Setup, Startline and distance control evaluation or just a what looks good and let’s make sure it is soled flat on the ground?   

what are you hoping to learn from the fitting?  If your answer is just what putter works best for me, there is probably no questions.   If you w at to dive into why is the selected putter best for me and why others aren’t then you can get into multiple hours worth of questions.   

I am not sure how they do their fittings, but I am hoping for as much tech as possible to be used to give me a full analysis. 

This is my first putter fitting, so I am hoping for a full experience.

I want to make sure that the tech is used to help define the proper specs for me, and then start to dial in the feel.

I have seen some videos that show the prices helping to define loft for example.  But I am not sure what all is actually possible.

Ping G410 Driver

Ping G430 3 Wood

4-W Ping i525

13 minutes ago, JustSmitty said:

I am not sure how they do their fittings, but I am hoping for as much tech as possible to be used to give me a full analysis. 

This is my first putter fitting, so I am hoping for a full experience.

I want to make sure that the tech is used to help define the proper specs for me, and then start to dial in the feel.

I have seen some videos that show the prices helping to define loft for example.  But I am not sure what all is actually possible.

How much is the fitting?   IF it is free like I read on the pga tour superstore site, it will probably just be someone watching you putt and then making some recommendations based on observation.     Basically putt toward a hole and if you miss right I’ll tell you face balanced and if you miss left I’ll tell you more toe hang.   
this will be very limiting since you would really need to dial in hosel location, offset, head weight, possible counterbalancing, shaft type, etc. 

the first question should have been - how do you fit putters? 
Do you have a budget? 

not sure what you mean by dialing in feel.    Is that how the ball feels off the face or how the various “feels” influence you ability to maintain face angle and control distance.  

loft would require some tech to see how you deliver the putter or how the ball launches at Impact   

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

How much is the fitting?   IF it is free like I read on the pga tour superstore site, it will probably just be someone watching you putt and then making some recommendations based on observation.     Basically putt toward a hole and if you miss right I’ll tell you face balanced and if you miss left I’ll tell you more toe hang.   
this will be very limiting since you would really need to dial in hosel location, offset, head weight, possible counterbalancing, shaft type, etc. 

the first question should have been - how do you fit putters? 
Do you have a budget? 

not sure what you mean by dialing in feel.    Is that how the ball feels off the face or how the various “feels” influence you ability to maintain face angle and control distance.  

loft would require some tech to see how you deliver the putter or how the ball launches at Impact   

Great point, I will definitely start of with the question of how they do fittings.  If it ends up just being someone watching me putt, it will not be worth my time for sure.

Will report back one I know more.  I am hoping for a good experience as I do not have fitters close to where I live, and I happen to be on a trip where I can stop by one of these stores.

Ping G410 Driver

Ping G430 3 Wood

4-W Ping i525

15 minutes ago, JustSmitty said:

Great point, I will definitely start of with the question of how they do fittings.  If it ends up just being someone watching me putt, it will not be worth my time for sure.

Will report back one I know more.  I am hoping for a good experience as I do not have fitters close to where I live, and I happen to be on a trip where I can stop by one of these stores.

If it is a free fitting and just someone watching you it may still be beneficial and/or educational.   I had a putting instructor that helped fit me virtually via the use of video….it comes down to the knowledge and abilities of the fitter.  

Please let us know how it goes, and how they conducted the fitting, @JustSmitty!  Very curious here.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Ok I finished the putter fitting.  No tech involved.  They watched me putt for a bit.  And based on my swing, and sampling several putters, they recommended the Mizuno M-Craft Type 1.  35 inches.

Still would like to get a fitting with some technology, but I feel like it was a good start to the process.

Even offered a couple of tips that I am going to work on implementing.

Ping G410 Driver

Ping G430 3 Wood

4-W Ping i525