Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Maplegate, Bellingham, MA is Closing?

Just_the_Chip

This is the close that is closest to me. I have a soft spot for this course because over the last couple of years, I've taken lessons there, my daughter started her golf lessons, and honestly, I've had nothing but great experiences there. 

I recently got an email from the Instructor there, that the town is looking to close the golf club and use the land for Solar Panels. I'm wondering if any locals have any other information? I know they are asking people to write to the local board, selectman, and others to save the club. 

If you were not away of this look up "Dontclosethegate" on instagram, or message the club instructor there! 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

@GolfSpy BOS you know anything about this? Right in your neck of the woods...

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Hope this isn't true - it's a nice golf course. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

you could say that.... It's my closest course.  My wife grew up on Maple Street which the course is on! 

Seems like its largely a family dispute at this point.  Most the family wants to sell and cash out and one family member wants to keep it a course.  Previously they tried to sell it to develop for housing, but while the access road is in Bellingham most of the property is actually Franklin, and they could not get Franklin to agree to build a new firehouse and a few other issues about the roadways and such.  At that point it looks like they decided to pivot and are selling it to be developed into a solar farm.

There is already a solar farm abutting the course too.  At the end of the day I unfortunately think it will be sold, seems like there's just too many family members willing to walk away.

Seems the only hope now is that I win the lottery and make a better offer... A guy can wish anyway! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

30 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

you could say that.... It's my closest course.  My wife grew up on Maple Street which the course is on! 

Seems like its largely a family dispute at this point.  Most the family wants to sell and cash out and one family member wants to keep it a course.  Previously they tried to sell it to develop for housing, but while the access road is in Bellingham most of the property is actually Franklin, and they could not get Franklin to agree to build a new firehouse and a few other issues about the roadways and such.  At that point it looks like they decided to pivot and are selling it to be developed into a solar farm.

There is already a solar farm abutting the course too.  At the end of the day I unfortunately think it will be sold, seems like there's just too many family members willing to walk away.

Seems the only hope now is that I win the lottery and make a better offer... A guy can wish anyway! 

That would be 2 in the last couple of years. Lost a great 9 holer nearby - Bungay Brook - to condos a couple years ago.

Every time I go to hit balls at the gate it's crazy busy. Leagues, lessons, PGA Junior tournaments, learn to golf groups, reg players. Can't believe they want to shut it down, esp with the post-covid bump. Damn shame.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

We lost a 9 holer here in Dartmouth that was my former home course a few years back. It was purchased by a developer who wanted it mainly for the function hall, but was looking for someone he could lease the course to so they could manage it since he didn't want to. After spending a year fixing things up, he decided to sell to a developer. Just as the deal was about to close, the function hall mysteriously caught on fire, burning most of it. The sale fell through from what I heard and now it's still just sitting there...

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/story/news/fire/2023/05/11/tips-sought-for-suspicious-hawthorne-country-club-fire-sunday/70200890007/

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

That is what I'm getting a sense of as well. The call to arms was for people to write to the town but if it's a private matter, I'm not sure what else could be done. I was telling my wife let's put together a bunch of a friends, build an actual clubhouse and be golf course owners, but she wasn't thrilled about the idea. I told her we could give good competition to the private Franklin Country Club not too far away. 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing