Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Golf bags- stand or cart, and why?

Rob Person

2 hours ago, Harlo_Y said:

I use a Bag Boy cart bag. I've only been golfing for 3 years now and have only ever ridden in a cart. I really like all the pockets and the integrated cooler. Currently looking to get a Bag Boy push cart, but not sure which one to get.

You’ll love the Nitron. And the BagBoy cart bags are designed to integrate perfectly with the BagBoy carts. Read the BagBoy Nitron tester thread for some great insights. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I prefer a stand bag, and am currently using a TaylorMade I have had for a couple years. Even though I live near a golf course and drive my golf cart from my house to the course, I still prefer the stand bag. Reason for this is the stand bag provides multiple options. If I get the urge to walk a round, the stand bag, with it's backpack style shoulder straps, is light enough to carry the entire round. It offers plenty of room for everything I need and fits on my cart without any issues. Cart bags are nice as well, but they aren't a multi-purpose bag. They tend to be bulky and heavy and take up more room even on a cart. I was tempted to switch to an OGIO cart bag until I went in the Pro Shop of my local course, put it on my cart, and realized the room I would lose on the cart due to how bulky it is.

Mizuno MP20 blades +0.5", Mizuno Blue Ion 52, 56 degree wedges, Callaway Jaws 60 degree wedge, TaylorMade MP6 driver with Hazardous X-Stiff shaft 9 degree, Ping G425 three wood, Callaway Maverick 3 hybrid, TaylorMade Soto Putter with super stroke 2.0 grip.

I used a Sun Moutain C130 bag and I really like it. 

Fits great on my Clicgear V2 also. 

I am thinking of getting a bag such as the Founders Bag or Ask Echo.

If anyone has recommendation on one of those, let me know

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

33 minutes ago, Manny said:

I used a Sun Moutain C130 bag and I really like it. 

Fits great on my Clicgear V2 also. 

I am thinking of getting a bag such as the Founders Bag or Ask Echo.

If anyone has recommendation on one of those, let me know

I've only seen the echo bags in person, never used one. One guy I talked with about it said he got tired of having to click the shafts into place all the time.  But they have wide dividers for his jumbo grips,  and he liked that the most

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I've got a Callaway cart bag and love it because of the large amount of space it has and the easy layout. I've got 14 dividers and a separate putter tube which I find a big plus for keeping the clubs organised and less clanking around. I mainly use a pull cart on the course but this is mainly due to the fact that my local is an easy walking track but have been known to upgrade to a buggy if the course is especially long or hilly or I'm short on time. Part of this is because in buying my bag, I didn't think about the fact I would want some fold out legs and it doesn't have these so it's a nightmare to lug around otherwise. 

As a result of this, I'm currently considering buying a second lightweight bag (with legs of course) to have as a bag to grab and take to par 3 courses, the range, quick chipping session etc. that would allow me a bit more freedom. I quite like brands like Sunday golf that have smaller bags for just this but shed space is at a premium these days so may need to keep wishing!

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
:odyssey-small: Tank 2 ball putter  

I'm a stand bag guy, primarily for two reasons:

1. I practice more than I play and they are generally easier to get in and out of the car. Overall just more convenient for my use cases.
  2. I'm generally a fairly minimalistic person, so I don't load up the bag with a ton of stuff, some tees, a sleeve or two of balls, my rangefinder, and two gloves.

I currently have the ghost maverick, but in a 14 way, and want to move to something a touch lighter with fewer dividers. I almost exclusively played ogio woode stand bags for a long time, but am a little iffy on the rubber dividers they use now.

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso

I have always used a cart-style bag. I find it to have more pockets (but do not have any real evidence LOL) and fit better on the carts. I have not walked a course in Florida (who wants to in the heat) and just always have purchased cart style.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

Stand bag because I mainly walk. I like the fact to that when set down it doesn't fall over. I use a Titleist Player 4, very light weight. It doesn't have an external foot mechanism either, just set the bag down, the base of the bag has an internal mechanism to release the legs. Love it.

Kevin WP

Dows anyone use a Staff bag or Mini Staff bag??

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I have both. Used stand bag for years and received cart bag as Christmas gift this past year since I don't walk much anymore.

I use the stand bag for practice sessions now as I can pull out the clubs I need to work with and leave others in cart bag. That way I'm not tempted, by the clubs that I am already hitting fairly well, to get off track with my practice.

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

I use a cart bag myself. I used an Ogio Grom bag for many years before switching over. There are times I do miss having a stand bag, like when I am at the range. But the majority of my golf time is on a cart. I also live in TX and like to have a deep cooler pocket built into the bag so I can keep waters and Gatorade. The club organization is also better on a cart bag as they typically have 14-15 slots. My current cart bag is a Ping DLX with the 15 slots, which is perfect for my aiming sticks and orange whip. 

WITB

• PXG GEN 5 0311 XF Driver/ TENSI Flex X shaft 
  • PXG GEN 4 0341 X 3 Wood/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 g shaft
  • PXG Gen 5 0311 X Driving Iron/ TENSI Flex X shaft 
  • PXG GEN 4 0311 T 4-5 Iron / KBS Tour 120 S shaft
  • PXG GEN 4 0311 ST 6-G Iron / KBS Tour 120 S shaft
  • Edel SMS 56-60 Wedges t Grind/ N.S. Pro Modus 105g shaft
  • Edel EAS-1.0 Putter
  • Ping DLX Cart Bag