Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf bags- stand or cart, and why?

Rob Person

As the topic suggests, do you use a stand bag or a cart bag? do you have a specific reason?

As i start diving deeper into the world of golf, I have noticed more and more of all the different bags I would probably like to own. I only have experience with my inherited 25 year old cart bag, and its got lots of pockets with ample space. Its in great shape too. But it is a tad heavier.

I have never walk played a course, and not sure if I ever will anytime soon.

My most recent obsession is with Ogio bags. There X top club divider is appealing , and the bags seem well constructed. 

Of course, before I get a new bag, I'd need a legitimate reason for buying one. (ie- new clubs!) 

Feel free to post pics of yours (or dont...lol)

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Stand bag!  Think versatility!  I carry, but I do have a sun mountain push cart.  I bought a vessel Sunday bag (which holds 14 clubs, and looks like a regular sized stand bag) to walk with.  It fits in the pushcart and in cart perfectly!  Get a bag that does it all!  

🙃

I've always used cart bags but if I can get a 14 way stand bag I'll take it.

Word is wait for the new Callaway bags to hit, apparently they're probably going to be the best on the market when they're released next month.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have always liked the Ogio bags.  I really like the club set up of the OGIO 2023 Woode Hybrid Golf Stand Bag.

I know you mentioned you don't walk but with the ability to be a stand bag, works for the range. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

I have always liked the Ogio bags.  I really like the club set up of the OGIO 2023 Woode Hybrid Golf Stand Bag.

I know you mentioned you don't walk but with the ability to be a stand bag, works for the range. 

Yeah, that's a nice bag. Wonder if you can get it with a silencer top option, or add it to the bag after? There is a black/grey one on a pro shop here that really caught my eye. Just not quite ready to pull the trigger on it.  About to go read the silencer review thread in a minute too.

shopping.jpeg

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

I have always been a cart bag guy.  I am on a cart 99.9% of my rounds.  On the rare occasion that I do walk I use a push cart, so I never saw the need for a stand bag.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

11 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I have always been a cart bag guy.  I am on a cart 99.9% of my rounds.  On the rare occasion that I do walk I use a push cart, so I never saw the need for a stand bag.

That was my thought process too...lol 

Majority of my rounds are with a push cart, so my primary bag is a Sun Mountain Sync -- 14-way divider, no stand, single strap (used once just to make sure it worked).

Off-season is a small carry stand bag that fits a half-set of clubs (Sunday Golf El Camino - my unofficial review is on the forum: 

Edited by tdc1
Added link to unofficial review

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

I've been golfing 63 years. Obviously seen much evolution in golf and equipment.  First "SET" was a Bobby Nichols leather grip forged hand me downs.  Now it's the Titleist T 300 and thinking about the new T200's.  Many drivers.  Many woods and not surprisingly, many bags.  Open tops, 3 dividers, tubes.  Plastic. 1 leather. A few "Tour (Logo) Brand" tour bags.  HUGE MOTHERS.  The last 8 years or so I've turned to "Cart" bags.  I'm 70 years old.  The days of walking (let alone carry) my clubs are long since past. There are 2 main reasons I like the cart bags. The first is, all the compartments face the same way. Easily accessible from the cart without having to remove the bag. Second are the handles at the top or opening. In and out of the trunk or vehicle made easier. AND I've gone with the individual club sleeves. Makes the club selections in and out of the bag MUCH easier.  One thing I will stand by though is this. You get what you pay for. Buy cheap. Get cheap. Buy quality and you get something that lasts more than a season or two.  REGARDLESS what equipment you buy. I don't have the money to get new "STUFF" every year. When I do I make sure it's quality so it lasts

Been golfing 63 years.  Consider myself better than average. Play 54 - 72 holes a week in season. 

I love all the room in a cart bag, but that's the problem also.  I have switched to a stand bag with a 6 way top.  It's lighter and it causes me to be strategic with what I bring with me on the course.  I travel with my clubs and the stand bag with a smaller top fits better when I travel with my clubs and my wife's clubs.  The 6 way makes it easier to take several clubs out when cart path only conditions.  The cart bags with individual slots tend to grab the clubs as they begin to age.

Safety First. Stay in play!

I have used a Sun Mountain Sync 14 way cart bag to go with my Sun Mountain push cart. Three years ago I switched to a Clicgear 4.0 push cart and also switched to a Ping Hoofer 5 way stand bag I switched bags principally because the range at my course does not have bag stands, so I had to set up my cart and wheel it over to the range. With the stand bag I just carry the bag to the range. I am talking about range practice sessions, not pre round warm ups. 

Ping G425- D, 3, 7

Ping i230- 5 to U

Ping Glide 3- 54/14, 58/14

Cameron Select Newport 2

I've always had stand bags.  I walk and carry 60-70 rounds a year, so a cart bag would only be an option for me if I was some sort of masochist (I'm not).  I've used Sun Mountain bags for the past 10 years and love them - very light, durable, and comfortable.

Marcus

16 hours ago, Rob Person said:

As the topic suggests, do you use a stand bag or a cart bag? do you have a specific reason?

As i start diving deeper into the world of golf, I have noticed more and more of all the different bags I would probably like to own. I only have experience with my inherited 25 year old cart bag, and its got lots of pockets with ample space. Its in great shape too. But it is a tad heavier.

I have never walk played a course, and not sure if I ever will anytime soon.

My most recent obsession is with Ogio bags. There X top club divider is appealing , and the bags seem well constructed. 

Of course, before I get a new bag, I'd need a legitimate reason for buying one. (ie- new clubs!) 

Feel free to post pics of yours (or dont...lol)

It has to have 15 full length dividers, and a cooler. Those are my requirements for a bag. I only ride, but I still like the stand for parking lots, putting greens, etc... I looked at all the new bags this past spring, and for me the Ping Pioneer was far and away the best one. It doesn't come with a stand, but I grabbed an after market one from eBay and put it on. Works awesome. I get the benefit of a big cart bag, but the versatility of a stand bag.

I've used stand bags for the longest time, even though I almost never carry any more.  I ride some, and I use a motorized trolley some.  I had a Ping Hoofer from 2015 that I just replaced with a new Ping Hoofer.  I don't like 14-hole bags for myself, I don't need any more storage than the Hoofer has, and I like having the stand for general purposes, setting it down at the range, or at the back of the car, whatever.  The Hoofer isn't the smallest or lightest stand bag available, I think its a good compromise for me.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I use a cart bag. I usually walk while my partners drive, so I just put it one of their carts. The extra space for all the gear is primarily why. Alignment sticks, launch monitor, speed stick, Tour Aim, rain gear all fit without me having to take it all out each time to play. Cheers🥃

I run 19th Hole Golf account on Twitter!

Driver- PXG Gen 6 9 degree with MCA Tensei AV Raw 65 X shaft

3 wood- PXG Gen 6 15 degree with MCA Tensei AV Raw 75 X shaft

19 degree hybrid- PXG Gen 6 with MCA Tensei AV Raw 90 X shaft

Irons 4-GW PXG Gen 6 with V2 Elevate Tour S

56 and 60 Vokey wedges with V2 Elevate Tour S

Putter Scotty Cameron Platinum Newport Mid Slant

I have used both carry/stand bags and cart bags.   I have 3 or 4 in the garage, right now.   I do sometimes throw a half-set into my light, carry bag and walk.   I have had really nice cart bags that have a ton of pockets-- but without the stand they are impractical.  They don't stand at the range.  The wind blows them over easily.   They are large and bulky to handle.   

My go-to bag, currently (the one I use 90% of the time) is an OGIO Woode Hybrid 8 Stand Bag.   It is the only bag I have found with the (unique) 8-way divider.   I use mid-size grips-- but even without those I just don't like the 14 way top.  So this 8-way arrangement is a nice compromise.  

I would love a cart bag with a stand that does NOT have a 14-way top.   I don't think they make one, so this is the closest I have found.   I found mine on a smoking-hot online deal-- $249, but $100 off.  That made it sort of a no-brainer.   This one also has magnetic-snap closures for the valuables pocket, and on the front of the ball pocket (for easy entry).   

If I was going to replace mine, today, this is  absolutely the bag I would go with.   Nice in-between size, more than enough pockets, love the 8-way top, fold out stand, not too heavy, easy carry handles and grips, nice color options.    

The only thing I would add is a full length pocket for the umbrella and a separate external tube for the putter.    But this is the closest to perfect (for me) that I have found. 

8-way divider golf bag .jpeg

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

I go back and forth on this since I walk with a push cart most of the time. I like having the stand utility (and I just think it looks waaay better than a cart bag), but that is just vanity. Same with the dividers, I had a bag that had a 14 way divider and just didn't like the way it looked so I went back to a 4 way, again vanity. 

My solution is that I have an old macgregor single strap carry bag that doesn't have any stand mechanism. It only has a 3 way top but kind of operates as a cart bag/stand bag hybrid. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Stand bag, also from Costco. I walk using a pushcart, and it's big enough to carry all the stuff I need, but won't fall over in the parking lot or garage when I'm not on the course. There is one executive course near a friend's house where you almost have to carry that I play once in a blue moon, too, and I'm too lazy to swap everything around if I'm going to visit him and play.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

Both and because I can! Haha

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I am cart all the way, solely because the only golf I play currently is cart golf. With a 6 & 4 year old who both like to join me on the course, walking just isn't an option.

When my boys are older, though, I'll be buying a stand bag so that we can do some of both! 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I'm currently using a hybrid bag but as I've recently switched to jumbomax grips, I might need to upsize as it's a bit of a tight fit at times.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Stand bag - walk all of the time in Ireland (motorised cart). One major downside of most stand bags is the umbrella holder being a silly lace loop that catches on the umbrella - the umbrella sleeve on carts bags is much easier when you need your umbrella out pronto!

Driver - TM Stealth

3w - TM Stealth

3h - TM Sim2

Irons - Mizuno Forged 921 (4-GW)

Wedges - Mizuno T22 (denim copper, 54 and 58)

Putter - L.A.B golf Mezz1 

I've also always had a stand bag. My dad refuses to ride, so riding bags growing up were out of the question 😅 I walk fairly often and like the versatility and the look of a standard 4-5 pocket stand bag.

I currently have a standard Sun Mountain stand bag, but am looking to switch things up in 2024 hopefully - potentially with something like a Ping Hoofer. Although my current bag is still in decent shape, I've had it for about 10 years and I'd like to get something with a less protruding kick stand as I've been using a push cart more in the past year. 

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

I'm pro stand bag.  Since I practice a lot, I find the stand bag to be easier around the practice green & range. The only drawback of the stand bag is using on push carts, they don't fit as well as a cart bag.  The bottom of the stand bag has the lever sticking out which enables the legs when you put on the ground. Some push carts just don't accommodate that bag feature, although my BagBoy Quad XL cart is ok with it. As @dnjoyce stated the umbrella sleeve does catch a bit. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I like a stand bag, I am begining to walk more and spend a lot of time at the range, but the limiting number / space of pockets is a drawback.  I have been looking at the PXG Hybrid Stand Bag.  I like the size and number of pockets, as well as the 6 way divider at the top.  Drawbacks for me are the price and the single carry strap.

Anyone have any guidance on how well the single carry strap works vs an over both shoulders 4-point carry strap system?

Any other suggestions as  on other bags to look at?  Thanks

20 minutes ago, Evendale_Rob said:

I like a stand bag, I am begining to walk more and spend a lot of time at the range, but the limiting number / space of pockets is a drawback.  I have been looking at the PXG Hybrid Stand Bag.  I like the size and number of pockets, as well as the 6 way divider at the top.  Drawbacks for me are the price and the single carry strap.

Anyone have any guidance on how well the single carry strap works vs an over both shoulders 4-point carry strap system?

Any other suggestions as  on other bags to look at?  Thanks

My hybrid bag is the PXG hybrid bag. The single strap is definitely a downside for me. I don't walk when I play currently due to a foot issue but the single strap would bug the heck out of me if I was carrying the bag. It is removable via clips though and there are four clip in points if I recall correctly so might be swappable to a dual strap system.

It's a good bag otherwise, imo. Lots of pockets and storage space.

The bigger concern for me with it ATM is my jumbomax grips lol

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I use a cart bag as well due to not walking as much as I should and when I do I use my trusty Clic Gear push cart with the Alphard Electric conversion. I got the original version off of the Kickstarter and I am looking to upgrade that to the Club Booster V2. I like the amount of storage that the cart bags offer. I am also looking to upgrade that to one of the newer models that has some sort of club support to keep my new P770 Phantom Black irons from damage.

Gmangolfr

I have always gone with a stand bag because I enjoy the versatility that it provides. I would say that I am split 50/50 between walking and riding, so it would be very difficult for me to have a cart bag.  I have recently switched to having a push cart when I walk (to make it easier on my back), and I think the stand bag works a little better with a push cart because they angle back towards the handle of the push cart.  Whereas a cart bag angles towards the front pocket and away from the handle.  With that being said, the stand bag has significantly less storage.  I personally don't like having individually pockets for each of my clubs like most cart bags have; however, that is just a personal preference. It does cause the clubs to rattle in my bag more when I am riding in a cart.

As you continue to dive deeper into Golf, I would recommend walking more because it always you think about what you're doing more. I find I play better and smarter when I walk because I am more critical about my game. That's just my personal opinion though.

I currently have a Taylormade bag, but I have also used Srixon and Sun Mountain. The Taylormade seems to be the best quality, but the Sun Mountain was significantly lighter.

Edited by Logster168