Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver Shaft Length HELP

JStapp

I have some questions that I haven't been able to find the answers on my own, as I don't have the equipment or devices to correctly measure any of this. 

I'm looking for any opinions or insight you guys may have! (Right or wrong I don't care, just want to hear others thoughts) My numbers are from indoor trackman and outdoor GCQuad. 

I'm currently gaming a 42.25 Ventus Blue TR 7x in my Stealth Plus+ 3 wood. (Don't know length with the head on.) I have the upmost confidence in this club. Strike, dispersion, speeds have all seemed great. Club speed is between 115 and 120, ball speeds in the 170's and carry's between 290-300. Here is my issue and the reason for this post..

My driver shaft is a 44 inch Ventus Blue TR 6x with a callaway Paradym Triple Diamond. (Don't know length with the head on.) Club Speeds between 120 and 130, ball speeds are high 170's to low 180's. Dispersion is not great and I honestly feel like my driver carry's or rolls out just as far. Is my swing weight messed up with a 44 inch shaft? I have all the confidence in the world standing over the ball with a 3 wood, and absolutely zero standing over the driver. Strike could be way off the toe, might flare it out to the right or toe hook it. Shaft length? Swing weight? Just suck with driver? Send help 🤒

Edited by JStapp

:callaway-small:Driver: Paradym Triple Diamond

:taylormade-small:3 Wood: Stealth Plus

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Stealth Plus 

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:taylormade-small:Wedges: MG2 50* MG3 54* and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

• JStapp changed the title to Driver Shaft Length HELP

I’m a big believer in shorter lengths for drivers. I’m convinced that the trade off between the small extra speed gain of a longer driver versus increasing the probability of find the center of the club face is worth it for most players. 
With that said, your club speed puts you in a unique and limited group. The fact that the  3 wood works so well indicates that it’s the right setup for your swing, and there’s a driver setup out there waiting for you. I’d suggest you find a really good club fitter who can get you into a driver configuration that is optimized for your swing. If you don’t already have a good fitter, do some research, ask around, etc. to get some names. Don’t hesitate to try more than one fitter if needed even if it might cost you a few extra bucks. 
Keep us updated. 

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

2 hours ago, JStapp said:

Dispersion is not great and I honestly feel like my driver carry's or rolls out just as far. Is my swing weight messed up with a 44 inch shaft? I

Without it being measured nobody would know but what’s more important is how it feels to you. The feel of the current weight could be wrong and it’s affecting your swing 

2 hours ago, JStapp said:

Strike could be way off the toe, might flare it out to the right or toe hook it. Shaft length? Swing weight? Just suck with driver? Send help 🤒

Could be swing related and nothing else, at your handicap might not be the case.

Could be swing related due to the feeling of the weight of the club. Could be length. Some people are more sensitive to weight changes than others.

Best bet is to follow this and see what happens.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/960350-diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, JStapp said:

I have some questions that I haven't been able to find the answers on my own, as I don't have the equipment or devices to correctly measure any of this. 

I'm looking for any opinions or insight you guys may have! (Right or wrong I don't care, just want to hear others thoughts) My numbers are from indoor trackman and outdoor GCQuad. 

I'm currently gaming a 42.25 Ventus Blue TR 7x in my Stealth Plus+ 3 wood. (Don't know length with the head on.) I have the upmost confidence in this club. Strike, dispersion, speeds have all seemed great. Club speed is between 115 and 120, ball speeds in the 170's and carry's between 290-300. Here is my issue and the reason for this post..

My driver shaft is a 44 inch Ventus Blue TR 6x with a callaway Paradym Triple Diamond. (Don't know length with the head on.) Club Speeds between 120 and 130, ball speeds are high 170's to low 180's. Dispersion is not great and I honestly feel like my driver carry's or rolls out just as far. Is my swing weight messed up with a 44 inch shaft? I have all the confidence in the world standing over the ball with a 3 wood, and absolutely zero standing over the driver. Strike could be way off the toe, might flare it out to the right or toe hook it. Shaft length? Swing weight? Just suck with driver? Send help 🤒

I have a similar issue with my TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W (@12.75*) at 43.25" going farther than my Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* at 46" long. Now I'm not nearly your speed (~100mph driver), but I found my driver issue is low heel strikes which is the death zone for distance (low ball speed and high spin). My best driving days from the past were at 45" playing length, which is what I'll look at max for my next driver fitting.

Your 3W is likely about 43.25" playing length (3w adds about 1" to shaft length) and the driver is about 45.5" (drivers add about 1.5" to shaft length). So you could very well have an issue with the length of the driver finding the center of the club. You may also need a different shaft, depending on swing and strike pattern.

Couple things to try if you can.
1. Choke down about an inch with the driver but set up normally. See if that helps with performance.
2. Spray some foot powder on the driver face. Hit a few shots normally without choking up. See where the strike pattern is. Repeat a few times wiping the spray off, reapply, then hit and evaluate.
3. Do the same with the foot powder spray, but choke down an inch. Do a few rounds of that and see where the strike pattern is.

These should give you a great starting point of determining what you should or shouldn't do with shaft length.
I'd take this info and go get a driver fitting with a highly regarded fitter. Tell him what you found (take pics of your testing to show the strike patterns) and see where things go from there. Hopefully this helps.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

The length of the shaft in the 3W with head on is about 43" in the Driver is about 45.5".

In just about every case the tour players are using completed golf clubs at 44.5 to 44.75. I my experience with fitting quite a few folks, we find lengths about the same. 

Choke down an inch and play it an entire round

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.