Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

AVX vs Left Dash

So I’m in need of help figuring out what ball to play.  I have always liked the AVX and when I did the phone / virtual fitting through titliest they said AVX was the right ball, however was in a golf shop talking to the sales guy and he said with a 105+ swing speed that the AVX is too soft of a ball for me. I have played the left dash one round (best round ever) but was given a sleeve by a buddy so could be an outlier as only lasted a round and half. Anyone have any advice?

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

The problem with the statement that the AVX is too soft for you at 105+ SS is that it’s only true if you are looking for distance and that’s debatable without testing. The AVX may react exactly how you want off irons and wedges but shortish with the driver. You may gain distance off the driver with the Left Dash but lose something with the irons and wedges. There is always give and take in finding a ball to play. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

The driver is my struggle club, I like the spin on irons and wedges. Short game is what keeps me alive. High back spin on driver with a slice

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

1 minute ago, Brian A said:

The driver is my struggle club, I like the spin on irons and wedges. Short game is what keeps me alive. High back spin on driver with a slice

I can assure you as a high spin driver guy that used to slice very often, no ball change is gonna matter. 

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

2 hours ago, Brian A said:

So I’m in need of help figuring out what ball to play.  I have always liked the AVX and when I did the phone / virtual fitting through titliest they said AVX was the right ball, however was in a golf shop talking to the sales guy and he said with a 105+ swing speed that the AVX is too soft of a ball for me. I have played the left dash one round (best round ever) but was given a sleeve by a buddy so could be an outlier as only lasted a round and half. Anyone have any advice?

I have a friend that is 10-15 mph faster than you that plays the avx and has no issues with it.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I can assure you as a high spin driver guy that used to slice very often, no ball change is gonna matter. 

Right I don’t expect it to fix the problem but will Avx being too soft increase the problem and lose distance or is left dash being firmer the better optin

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Well, except that we suffering that driver problem don't want to exacerbate the issue by using a high spin ball.  I do think the AVX is helping me a bit as it has a lower trajectory, more piercing ball flight than the PV1 and Maxfli Tour.  

@Brian A, when I did the phone ball fitting with Titleist a few years ago, it was either the AVX or the PV1 that the fitter said would be best for me.  I also fight an OTT swing with my long sticks.  My driver ss is ~96.  I honestly see little difference in shorter approach iron spin/green holding between the PV1 and AVX... but my spin is a little lower (200-300) with the AVX.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

26 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, except that we suffering that driver problem don't want to exacerbate the issue by using a high spin ball.  I do think the AVX is helping me a bit as it has a lower trajectory, more piercing ball flight than the PV1 and Maxfli Tour.  

@Brian A, when I did the phone ball fitting with Titleist a few years ago, it was either the AVX or the PV1 that the fitter said would be best for me.  I also fight an OTT swing with my long sticks.  My driver ss is ~96.  I honestly see little difference in shorter approach iron spin/green holding between the PV1 and AVX... but my spin is a little lower (200-300) with the AVX.

I got the same results but when I asked about left dash/dot he said they don’t fit for those.  I liked the low spin/trajectory of AVX,

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

55 minutes ago, Brian A said:

Right I don’t expect it to fix the problem but will Avx being too soft increase the problem and lose distance or is left dash being firmer the better optin

I didn’t mean to imply you thought the ball change would fix anything. What I was saying was the difference between the AVX and Left Dash isn’t gonna put you 10-20 yards farther right or shorter. 

46 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

As I mentioned above the AVX to left dash isn’t likely to send you farther into the woods or lose you a ton of yardage imo.  

On 2/2/2024 at 6:12 PM, Brian A said:

I've had the same question before, especially because I tend to hit it pretty dang high (about 105-110 swing speed). The AVX generally works well for me, but I can't get used to how squishy it feels. The Left Dash works great for me with the exception that I wish it flew a little lower. In terms of distance off the tee, I don't really see a significant difference between the two. The AVX is lower spinning than Left Dash, so it can compensate for any speed loss from the lower compression, or at least that's how I've thought about it.

And FWIW, when I last did Ballnamic, it recommended both the AVX and the Left Dash for me (in addition to the Tour BX), so basically it seems like it's more of a "pick the ball you want" scenario.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

On 2/2/2024 at 5:23 PM, Brian A said:

I have done a lot of experimenting with balls, used to predominantly play Bridgestone but also got along well with Srixon Z star as a low spin option. After the MGS ball testing I ordered some Left Dash balls for maximum potential distance (and needing higher flight) along with the Taylormade Tour Response as lowest spin urethane ball (and later the AVX). Fade/slice is also my miss with driver. The Left Dash/AVX are my main balls for 2024 with the Pro V1 as backup for very firms greens if I need extra stopping power, or the Tour Response if the greens are very slow or I am playing bad and don't want to lose expensive balls.  Here's what I have found:

- the low spin balls like AVX (Tour Response, especially) tend to go a bit straighter off the tee, the lower flight and/or spin also helps on tee shots into wind which can make them play a similar distance to the left dash (driver SS tops out at 107 for me, likely more around 103-105)

- had my best round last year with the Tour Response - very straight, stayed out of trouble, the extreme low spin adds 5-10 yards distance to irons (which can offset driver loss in some situations), only downside is they won't work well on firm greens. Began testing the AVX last year as a small step up in terms of low spin urethane ball and saw positive results. Especially like these 2 in windy conditions where getting the ball on the ground quicker can be a benefit. 

- when it is hot, (over 70) you can see more separation in distance and this is where the left dash really starts to shine. They do perform well into a head wind with the low-mid spin. I have hit multiple 250 yard tee shots with 19 degree hybrids using left dash, it is definitely one of the longest balls made. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I have been an avid AVX player for about 1.5years. I started using it for the same reasons mentioned previously about low side spin. I play a towering fade that turns into a towering slice very quickly. The AVX kind of straightens that slice out by 10-15yds for me. Ultimately it kept me in play more and allowed me to be in a spot to score more. I actually enjoy the feel of the AVX off the putter more than the PV1 more, softer. I certainly lose some greenside spin but it keeps my spin consistent! I never play for pulling the ball on a string anymore. Not sure how much reaction left dash has around the greens.

Driver:   Srixon ZX7 w/GD Tour VR X 60g w/ Midsize ZCord

5W: TM Rocketballz RBZ with kai'li White X 60g w/ White VTC Cords

3-6 : PING iBlades DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords

7-PW: PING Blueprints DG X100 w/ White VTC Cords 

Wedges: TM MG3 52, 56, 58 DG S300 w/ White VTC Cords

Putter: Scotty Cameron Del-Mar 35" w/ Dancing Scotty Golf Pride Grip

On 2/5/2024 at 11:20 AM, BMart519 said:

- when it is hot, (over 70)

image.png.b271453f2a8ada6219ab3235073d2f55.png

I'm wearing pants until it's 70... 😆

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to the AVX last year and like the way it plays.  Played AP1 most of the past 5 years, but improved consistency with AVX sold me on the new design.

Keep in mind, I have a slower swing speed than many who have responded.  My game is dependent on hitting it straight and hitting greens in regulation.

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter