Opinion Stand vs cart

So, I have been looking for a new bag for my clubs. I wanted some advice from everyone. I usually will hop in a cart but will every so often throw the bag on my shoulders and walk the course. Do you recommend two different bags why? Do you prefer a stand bag? What are your thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of each? Also, what are your recommendations and why?

Thank you in advance!

Nicolas 

8 minutes ago, Nicolas said:

So, I have been looking for a new bag for my clubs. I wanted some advice from everyone. I usually will hop in a cart but will every so often throw the bag on my shoulders and walk the course. Do you recommend two different bags why? Do you prefer a stand bag? What are your thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of each? Also, what are your recommendations and why?

I prefer hybrid bags.  I use a push cart, ride, and when I go to the range I carry and there are sometimes long walks to the range,   For the range a stand bag is what I want so I can easily put the bag down.  Stand bags are often lighter and don’t do well on a push or riding cart hence my preference for a hybrid type bag.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 4/17/2024 at 9:35 AM, cnosil said:

I prefer hybrid bags.  I use a push cart, ride, and when I go to the range I carry and there are sometimes long walks to the range,   For the range a stand bag is what I want so I can easily put the bag down.  Stand bags are often lighter and don’t do well on a push or riding cart hence my preference for a hybrid type bag.   

I was just thinking about this the other day while I was at the range. I had been thinking about getting a cart bag as this year I’ll be either riding or pushing 99% of the time. But at the range that I go to I realized there it would be best if my bag had legs. So I’d definitely agree that hybrid really would be the way to go. 

Fire!

I have 2 bags. A cart bag and an ultralight carry bag that can still hold 14 clubs. I'll switch out my clubs based on what I'm doing at the course. 

Cart bag is for full rounds riding or pushing. It holds more stuff and is easier to manage all 14 clubs.

Carry bag is for walking 9 or the range. It'll hold 14, but it can get tight. But it barely weighs anything and is very comfortable while walking.

It only takes a minute to move the clubs over and I have everything I'll need in each bag. A hybrid bag could do everything I need, but I like having the option to switch if I want to.

Okish golfer

• 3 weeks later...

I made the switch late last season to a Cart bag, from a hybrid stand bag. For my typical weekend rounds, I love the cart bag and the storage capacity. 

However, I find that it is very frustrating for everything else. Luckily I have a push cart for walking, but carrying it to and from the range is a pain, even more so if the range does not have bag holders. I do still have my old stand bag, which I’ll sometimes switch back to and use, but if I were to go back I would purchase a hybrid/stand bag.

My suggestion - determine what things you need to carry with you, and look for a bag that fits those needs. If it’s a hybrid bag, even better!

WITB:

:cobra-small: Driver -  LTDx 9* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: 3 Wood -  LTDx 15* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

:callaway-small: 7 Wood -  AI Smoke Triple🔹 20* w/ Project X Denali Black 70g Stiff Shaft

:taylormade-small: Irons (PW-4 Iron) -   P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

:vokey-small: Wedges (50, 54, 58) -  SM9

:bettinardi-small: Putter -  Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

Oh yes, this has been a great debate in the past year, and previous years as well!

tons of info, suggestions,  likes, dislikes, etc!

On 4/17/2024 at 9:23 AM, Nicolas said:

Thank you in advance!

And welcome.to.MGS!!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I’ve always used a stand bag due to its light weight and more compact size for traveling. But have seriously been considering a cart bag since I never walk and they are are typically built better with the larger size making everything easier to get to. I’m expecting to make the switch on my next bag purchase, but keep my stand bag for trips

14.2 hcp. Callaway Maverick Driver, Titleist 3W and T300 G-4i, TM 2-Hybrid, MG2 56 & 52 Wedges, Bettinardi Putter. TM Tour Response balls

So I have a 14 club cart bag & a couple of stand bags, one of which is waterproof. Just returned from a trip to Scotland and the waterproof made the trip. Fortunate to play the Old Course, Carnoustie, Kingsbarn, The Castle Course, Jubilee and Elie Golf Club. Stand bag better for caddies and electric trolleys. 

I just picked up a hybrid bag (Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid Tour) and so far it's checked off every box for me. Easy to carry, doesn't spin on my push cart or in a motorized cart, and easy to bring to the range.

I had tried a cart bag last year and for me, it was too difficult to carry around when needed. I don't need a ton of storage so the hybrid bag works out very well for me. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

On 4/17/2024 at 9:35 AM, cnosil said:

Totally agree that hybrid is the way to go! Bags are expensive so definitely need one that can do it all along with the fact that having different bags to pick from would get annoying moving everything every time you want to go play. Just get one bag that can ride, walk or be in a push cart! 

Lefty Gang 

After weeks researching and agonizing I went with the Callaway Org 14 cart bag.  I love it.  I had a TM hybrid that lasted for over 10 years.  I literally wore it out. 

I went with a cart bag because I no longer carry and the hybrid didn't always sit well in a push cart. 

The Org 14 is well set up with plenty of storage. I still have empty pockets.  I play oversized grips and they all slide in without a problem. 20240508_085224.jpg.f4c6a659887b6216c3f3ac1754a11527.jpg

There needs to be a better bag for push carts.  Clic Gear used to make one, but there are few that address the needs of those walking and push cart orientation, organization, and accessibility.  I currently use a Sun Mountain bag, but the whole organization of my clubs in the bag changes if I decide to ride.

Ping G400 driver

Srixon Z F65 3 Wood

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 deg)

Srixon Z585 Irons 4-P

Cleveland CG10 GW (48)

Cleveland RTX 3 (54 and 58)

Ping Anser 4 (stainless)

I think definitely a stand bag but definitely not all treated equally. From number of compartments and some having 14 slots for.clubs or 6 or 4. Backpack straps to carry or.one strap. So many options. But stand bag is way more versatile in my opinion as I would not cart bag for the range and takes up more room in trunk etc. 

CREDMAN 

I prefer a 14 way (full length divider) cart bag. Not a monster size. I mostly use an electric push cart. The cart bag does better on these. If riding in a cart then another non issue. If going to the range a single strap isn’t that much of an inconvenience. My course has a range that is pretty far so they just give you a cart to take with no fee. I know I’m never going to walk and carry so I don’t need the legs and double strap being a nuisance on the push cart. 
Truthfully I have not tried a hybrid. It might be good but I have about 7 or 8 bags so I’m not looking.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I prefer stand bags as you can get some great crossover bags now day with lots of storage and room. I always travel with a smaller stand bag on trips which are easier to handle for travelling.

Taylormade (Lefty)

Driver Stealth 2 9.0 degree with Ventus stiff shaft

3 wood Stealth 2 Plus with Ventus shaft

Stealth 2 3 - 4 Hybrid with Ventus shaft

Irons 2023 P790's with KBS tour lite 110gram shafts 5 - PW

M4 Wedges 58/54/50 degrees with KBS tourlite shafts

Putter Scotty Cameron Studio 2 black with blue writing.

Push Cart Mafia checking in, Stand bag (Callaway Fusion) is my preferred way to play. It will fit in the backseat of my 07 Mustang Convertible, the push cart folds up nicely in the truck, and I have space for my accessory box, GoPro Box and my shoes. Easy to haul off to the range, and fits the cart pretty well.

image.png.695997e0ab2d273d1e9a6d9a59693008.pngWhat's In The Bag:

Bag:   image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png 2019 Fusion 14 Stand Bag                                                             Push Cart Mafia:  image.png.b59a1c1a2ab63e23e9cfc08d20037566.png 3-Wheel Golf Cart

Driver:  image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png  AI Smoke Max D 10.5* w/ Project X Denali Blue 60                    Hybrid:  image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png AI Smoke 4H(21*) w/ Project X Cypher 2.0 70HYB     

Irons: 5-PW image.png.b4ec8b1f2367ed37c1ad1bcb163545d1.png ZX5 MKII w/ KBS Tour Lite                                                    Wedges:  image.png.ef09dadd02c892716857ee9bf90993c6.png CBX 4 Zipcore 50*, RTX 6 Zipcore 54*/58*          

Putter:  image.png.6f232d68128a0864f020965748b290ba.png DF3, Green 65*/35                                                             Balls:  image.png.4b88007c7921e9a723765a29d110ca08.png Tour X                                                                           

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize                                                                      Tech: Garmin Approach S70

Another member of the push cart mafia here. I use the BagBoy Chiller bag that slips nicely onto my BagBoy Nitron pushcart. They were definitely designed well to work together. On the handful of rounds that I will be using a riding cart the BagBoy Chiller works perfectly as well. I even use the push cart when I go fir just a range session. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black Official Tester Review

:BagBoy: Nitron push cart Unofficial review  

I’ve had both types of bags. I’m currently using a Datrek stand bag. I like it, it doesn’t take a whole lot of room, it doesn’t weigh very much and I can use it at the range without having to lay down a cart bag.  When I was using a cart bag, I found myself bringing a lot of unnecessary items or too much gear.  

Two Bags is a must. I have a light carry bag for when I want to walk the course and a cart bag when I ride or push. I find a hybrid bag just too heavy when I want to walk. I prefer to walk but when the weather is bad or the temperature changes during the round I find the carry bag gets to heavy holding rain gear, unbrella, towels, "drinks" so thats when I switch to the cart bag and push cart. Can carry almost unlimited gear and the ClicGear cart holds my umbrella for me. 

Titleist TSR2 w/Graphite Design Tour AD DI-5

Titleist 915 3W

TaylorMade M2 3 Hybrid

TaylorMade M4 4 Hybrid

Titliest T200 w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 5i-GW

Titlsiest Volkey Wedges 54, 58

Evnroll ER2b Putter

I used a stand bag for years and years when I mostly walked and carried my bag.  Even after I started using a manual push cart (then an electric one) as I got older and carrying was too much, I continued to use the stand bag for several years.  But, I recently switched to a Vessel Lux Cart bag and a cart bag is just the right choice if you use a push cart or ride.  The additional storage and capacity for clubs (especially if you use mid-size grips) that a cart bag offers is very, very useful.

Titleist C-16 irons and woods

JP Golf GW, PW and SW

Gene Nead Putter

I use a cart bag with my push cart. No legs, but my home course has cart stands on the range so it doesn't matter. It can be annoying at away courses without range cart stands. On rare occasions that I carry a bag (mostly vacations), I have a lightweight carry bag. It's not often I switch bags, so no worries.

I recently replaced my old cart bag with a new one with 15 slots for clubs. Now I finally have a slot for my ball retriever and alignment sticks, which is convenient.

Steve
TheFrugalGolfer.com

On 4/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, cnosil said:

so what kind of bag are you using if I may inquire? it sounds interesting. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

1 hour ago, Julius said:

so what kind of bag are you using if I may inquire? it sounds interesting. 

I was using a Callaway Fairway 14 and am now testing the Ghost Anyday bag as part of forum testing.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Ok, another member of the push cart mafia here.   I use a cart bag due it fitting perfectly onto any push cart and or driving cart.  I find that they have more of the options i need - 14 club holders with full divider, large pockets for jackets, cooler, extra pockets, etc.   I have also a stand bag that I use when I go to the range as just easier to carry around and I don't really care about having to carry ALL my clubs with me to the range.  If I had to have ONLY one bag I would go with the cart bag as it is just versatile and I would use it more often. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

Stand bag with a cart strap pass through, I find those work best for going to the range and riding a cart which is what I do mostly, what it doesn't do is sit well on a push cart, probably because I have a ton of crap in it. 

With my back issues I have to be very careful with what I lift and carry. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Ian H said:

Two Bags is a must. I have a light carry bag for when I want to walk the course and a cart bag when I ride or push. I find a hybrid bag just too heavy when I want to walk. I prefer to walk but when the weather is bad or the temperature changes during the round I find the carry bag gets to heavy holding rain gear, unbrella, towels, "drinks" so thats when I switch to the cart bag and push cart. Can carry almost unlimited gear and the ClicGear cart holds my umbrella for me. 

In the words of my magnificent wife, "Why the hell do you need 2 bags, don't they do the same thing???" But god forbid I say anything about the purses!!

Edited by Dan1993

image.png.695997e0ab2d273d1e9a6d9a59693008.pngWhat's In The Bag:

Bag:   image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png 2019 Fusion 14 Stand Bag                                                             Push Cart Mafia:  image.png.b59a1c1a2ab63e23e9cfc08d20037566.png 3-Wheel Golf Cart

Driver:  image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png  AI Smoke Max D 10.5* w/ Project X Denali Blue 60                    Hybrid:  image.png.79a211d0cf342e8c00f2d2c7969b1a80.png AI Smoke 4H(21*) w/ Project X Cypher 2.0 70HYB     

Irons: 5-PW image.png.b4ec8b1f2367ed37c1ad1bcb163545d1.png ZX5 MKII w/ KBS Tour Lite                                                    Wedges:  image.png.ef09dadd02c892716857ee9bf90993c6.png CBX 4 Zipcore 50*, RTX 6 Zipcore 54*/58*          

Putter:  image.png.6f232d68128a0864f020965748b290ba.png DF3, Green 65*/35                                                             Balls:  image.png.4b88007c7921e9a723765a29d110ca08.png Tour X                                                                           

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize                                                                      Tech: Garmin Approach S70

Up until I sold my golf cart, I used a Callaway Cart ORG 14. It was large enough to carry everything I needed but I hardly ever took it off the cart because it was so bulky. Now I use a Ping Hoofer 5-way Stand. I think it's the best stand bag I have ever had. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 / Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Wood: Taylormade SIM 5w Ti / Fujikura Speeder (TM/TP Tour Spec) 7.3 X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 4h 22* / Graphite Design G95 (TM/TP) Rescue X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Irons: Taylormade P-770 5-Aw / KBS Tour 130 X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54* 10-S, Callaway Jaws 58* 10-S / KBS Tour 130 X / Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4

Putter: Oddyssey Metal X Milled 1W Japan / Stock Shaft / Golf Pride Pro Only 88cc Green Star Corded Pistol Grip 

Ball: Titleist Prov1 / 2024 Taylormade TP5x

I use a stand / carry bag.  I am 75 YOA and walk with a cart.  On occasion I will drive when I am hurting physically.  Why do I use a stand bag on a cart?  Well, when I’m just working on the range, or putting & chipping, I don’t like to have to take the cart out of the trunk.  Just sling it on my shoulder and go.

IMG_0981.jpeg

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

Cart bags are basically a one trick pony.  I use a MGI electric trolley when walking so a cart bag works for me most of the time.  I travel for golf a few times a year and I had an Ogio hybrid bag until it broke at the strap/bag connection.  Found a Ping DLX for cheap on the upper shelf and have been using it ever since but cart bags just don't fit very well into some hard shell travel containers.  I use an old stand bag when I fly for golf.  If you're carrying you need to get a lighter bag. Cart bags, even the light ones, tend to get filled up with stuff.  Mine seems to get heavier every time I pick it up. 

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart